Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight the Corona Virus with your computer
Relevant Previous Thread

To keep this somewhat short, there are two projects I want to talk about: Rosetta@Home and Folding@Home, the prior running on the BOINC infrastructure program (see above thread), and the latter being very popular and running on it's own distributed computing infrastructure program (Again, see above thread)

These two scientific projects are hosted by Washington State University and Stanford University respectively, and they both use your computer's processing power in a simulation called protein folding. Protein folding, put simply, is the steps a protein takes to "fold" itself into it's proper shape, and knowing this process helps biologists know how these proteins operate. Unfortunately, finding what this process is requires A LOT of processing power, so instead of spending millions on a supercomputer, scientists distribute small parts of the simulation to your computer to process and return to them.

If you want to help stop the Corona Virus, or other diseases like cancer or Alzheimer's disease, this is a free* and very easy way to do it. This pandemic has more than proven to be a threat to the entire world in a very short time. The more computing resources available to the scientists trying to stop it, the faster and easier this can be out of our hair forever with potentially hundreds of thousands of lives saved. This isn't someone else's problem anymore.
*Electricity costs money, and computers use electricity

If you have a powerful CPU only, I recommend Rosetta@Home. The BOINC software is very stable and hassle free, and is meant to give fine control over the computer resources it uses. If you have a powerful GPU (Or if you want a simpler software) I recommend Folding@Home, since it can take advantage of both CPU and GPU. Specific instructions for installation and configuration are available on the respective websites, but all go along the lines of download the software, sign up, and configure what you want to work on.

Some relevant news articles:
Small disclaimer: Doing this on a laptop is not recommended. Desktops can easily bear the toasty temperatures of a processor running at full tilt, but laptops are not meant to clear away that much heat. If you want to still though, there are options to turn down the power on both of these programs.
Russ from the name of the post, it looks like clickbait ads and well for more info about the Corona Virus, the virus is in the same family as the SARS virus which was the outbreak back in 2002-2003 from possibly infected bats in China. The starting of the virus was from an infected seafood animal so another animal to human disease spread pandemic that's somewhat similar to the Ebola virus with infected bats and people eating them as bush meat. The prevention for this virus is about the same standard of keeping the cold away...stay clean, wash hands, desensitized items and cough into your arms.....
[Image: sukuna-evil-laugh.gif]
[Image: YWj4Wn.gif]
(03-04-2020, 09:08 PM)Ryuji Sakamoto Wrote: ~snip~

I just try to help people contribute to science man, this is the third post I've made about this in two years and people STILL don't care :(
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
The Institute for Protein Design at the University of Washington, using the computer power of the Rosetta@Home network, have successfully created a protein that can neutralize the COVID-19 viral particle in a lab setting. Animal trials for these proteins are underway. (Announcement link)

Thank you for all that took the time to read the threads I make about this, which I assume wasn't a lot, but I like to hope.

(03-04-2020, 09:08 PM)Ryuji Sakamoto Wrote: Russ from the name of the post, it looks like clickbait ads and well for more info about the Corona Virus

Bite me. I have been advocating for projects like this for four years. It's annoying when people ignore it, but it's fine that people do. However, I take IMMENSE disrespect when people call it out for being a "clickbait ad" and completely turning a blind eye to what I say and what other people say about this topic.
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
This was posted 4 months ago and you made this appear to be a click bait ad,
 That all I'm saying I'm not being a dick, you reacting that way to me is showing it though. 
BTW I'm working at the Hospital dealing with this Virus shit for 4 months, FOUR!!! 
You lucky you don't have to wear a hazmat suit 8 hours 7 days a week!

Not just that, but we talk after you posted that in voice chat if you remember as well in dms, and I thought we past this and understand about it and move on not sparking old stuff like this randomly.
[Image: sukuna-evil-laugh.gif]
[Image: YWj4Wn.gif]
Folding isn't click bait and it isn't a scam... Asking a community of gamers with capable systems seems logical to me.

Everyone would do well to drop the hostility, we are all people and we are all going through a ton of shit.

-a 3rd party observation...uno
(06-27-2020, 06:55 PM)Ryuji Sakamoto Wrote:
This was posted 4 months ago and you made this appear to be a click bait ad,
 That all I'm saying I'm not being a dick, you reacting that way to me is showing it though. 
BTW I'm working at the Hospital dealing with this Virus shit for 4 months, FOUR!!! 
You lucky you don't have to wear a hazmat suit 8 hours 7 days a week!

Not just that, but we talk after you posted that in voice chat if you remember as well in dms, and I thought we past this and understand about it and move on not sparking old stuff like this randomly.

Sorry I snapped, I'm a little stressed.. but I just care about stuff like this a lot. It kind of hurts when you compare something as important to me as this to something like a clickbait advertisement. I'm very happy you're out on the front lines helping with this situation, but the people that want to help don't have the opportunity to go out on the hospital floor and start doing it, so I believe as Uno said, giving people with the capability to help the information and opportunity to help is extremely important.

I've had so many people downplay, outright ignore, and not believe in this. I've been doing it for four years, and only ONE person has actually said "Hey, I think I'll try this!". It's gets me pretty upset to think about.

And yes, this thread is four months old. I brought it back to post a new development on the thread topic. Again, I'm sorry I snapped the way I did, but it's a pretty big "I told you so" moment for all of the people that said this is a scam or doesn't actually do anything.
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
Some updates on COVID and distributed computing:

Folding@Home has been launching "Moonshot sprints," week long runs of testing for potential therapeutic drugs for COVID-infected individuals. They are currently on their third week and third batch of drugs to be tested. You can read more about it here.

The IBM World Community Grid project released their August 13th update for the Open Pandemics project, where they state:

Quote:Data analysis
Since OpenPandemics - COVID-19 launched in May, the project has screened millions of chemical compounds that may be potential treatments for the disease. The screening is still ongoing, but the research team has analyzed the results they've gotten so far (45.7 million runs and 2.3 billion poses), and have narrowed the initial group down to approximately 1,500 compounds (0.00003 % of the total ligands docked!) that have been selected for their interactions with the target proteins and that warrant further analysis.

Potential publications

The researchers are working on several papers. One is a paper about the history of AutoDock (the software that runs OpenPandemics, which was created at Scripps Research). If the paper is accepted, it will be published early in 2021. 
They also submitted a paper describing the development and application of protocols for the study of covalent inhibitors (including the reactive docking protocol used in the OpenPandemics). 
Another paper has been submitted describing their collaborative work with the Oak Ridge National Laboratory team and NVIDIA to run simulations to identify new molecules against the SARS-CoV2 virus.

Read the full update here.

The University of Washington Institute for Protein Design (who runs the Rosetta@Home project mentioned on this thread) has released their 2020 report. Some excerpts:

Quote:Rosetta was used to accurately predict the atomic-scale structures of important coronavirus proteins weeks before they could be measured in the lab. Knowledge gained form studying these structures guides the design of vaccines and antiviral drugs.
In less than a month, [Institute of Protein Design] researchers designed over two million minibinder proteins to target the novel coronavirus. By April, over 20,000 of the most promising candidates had been tested in the lab. The current best minibinders neutralize live virus with activities rivaling the best known antibodies. We are working to advance these candidate drugs into clinical testing, with the support of Eric and Wendy Schmidt by recommendation of the Schmidt Futures Program.
When COVID-19 hit, we leveraged partnerships with [University of Washington] virologists and vaccine regulators at the National Institutes of Health to quickly create promising vaccine candidates. Our lead COVID-19 vaccine candidate induces ten-fold more protective antibodies in animal testing than comparable vaccines that do not use [Institute for Protein Design] technology. It has now been transferred to multiple large-scale manufacturers, who have begun producing it to enable entry into clinical trials anticipated to begin in early 2021.

Read the full report here.

Sorry if you don't like things like this, but I just think it's important.
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR