Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grappling Hook Exploit Hypocrisy
I would argue that becoming spiderman at mach 1 can alter the game more than negating the grappling hook, as a traitor who has committed a traitorous act that you hear from across the map can be reached within .5 seconds using that exploit, and I don't think I need to explain why that's not ok.

I will agree that negating the grappling hook can be considered an exploit as well, but I think the context you're giving is a little bit unrealistic. What am I supposed to do when you grapple me on rooftops? Die? I'd rather not. Also, this one isn't an issue with the grapple hook, but the jump pack. If you're able to fix that, go for it.
The Jump Pack is why, which is also responsible for the shitty hit-reg (Garry's Mod is also responsible for this, but the jump pack makes it x10's worse.) Remove it from the shop, kthx.
@Laced Xanax "What am I supposed to do when you grapple me on rooftops? Die? I'd rather not."

Yes, you're supposed to die if someone grapples you off the edge. Although compared to other T weapons (like the knife where you instantly die), you have the chance to either shoot the person or mash "e" on your way down. In terms of the exploit, both versions of the exploit are bad; which one is more game altering is subjective and depends upon the situation.

(This is assuming that the Jump Pack doesn't change)
The point of the thread wasn't to say "oh this one is better than the other". The point is to suggest that we should choose a side: it's all OK or none of it's OK.
( ͡°_ʖ ͡°)

@Trombowen

The grapple is a core feature as I understand of TTT. The Jump Pack however, is not. Once a player decides to keep playing on the server ( assuming they aren't going to be banned soon for their potential actions ), the Jump Pack becomes required to purchase to be on almost-even ground with veteran players.

It is taken as the first major purchase. It is required to survive short falls, make it over gaps that aren't normally obtainable (Terrortown rooftops normally out of range). It also gives away your position at times from the puff of smoke, warning players of your approach.

As to the basis of your thread, the grapple is exploited, but only in conjunction with the Jump Pack allowing it. The item itself is exploited far more often, allowing players to Speed Hop, Glide across a large, impossible distances, and in some cases fly across an entire map. Just because someone finds a glitch in the coding of the item, doesn't mean it was meant to function as such, or should. That would be exploiting an unintended function.

Some glitches we have on the maps are bad ones like RDM Turret being selective of targets ( doesn't register all damage as threats, but is a physic turret, who knew who planted C4 ). A couple guns refuse to reload or accept ammo. The Jet Pack however, is the reverse, allowing things to happen that shouldn't, letting players do things they shouldn't be able to.
[Image: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett...rbox=false]

Groovy
Hey look, a problem we can actually fix.
Is the jump pack more of an issue than a help? It’s a fair question. It is a major item currently but also a central issue. I’d like to see discusison on that as well, maybe I’ll make a thread. Hmm.
Grapple just seems to feed of jet pack issue, and that’s something we can trial.

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
(10-16-2018, 09:17 PM)matt_st3 (Strongrule) Wrote: Hey look, a problem we can actually fix.
Is the jump pack more of an issue than a help? It’s a fair question. It is a major item currently but also a central issue. I’d like to see discusison on that as well, maybe I’ll make a thread. Hmm.
Grapple just seems to feed of jet pack issue, and that’s something we can trial.

Make 3 threads so you can be top thread poster
All I wanted to point out was that we were acknowledging only part of the exploit. I did not want this thread to evolve into a suggestion to remove the Jump Pack.
( ͡°_ʖ ͡°)

Remove jump pack so people will stop playing okty
[Image: iOq71ag.jpg]
(10-17-2018, 02:12 AM)quicheman Wrote: Remove jump pack so people will stop playing okty
^

If the server would be overpopulated, it could be done but at this moment, with this popularity, it’s just not an option.

So all exploits or nothing or remove the grapple hook.
Greetings, 
Swartsy
You know, a good place to start with this thread (because we haven't started by the way, you guys have just been droning on about the Jump Pack, which will not be changed) would be to actually acknowledge the question of whether we should allow it or disallow it. The only person to actually acknowledge this question is @Swartsy, which is kind of sad considering there are currently 19 posts on this thread.

Before we start, just know there will be consequences for each potential outcome. If we remove the grappling hook, we'll be removing one of the most used traitor and detective equipment. If we disallow all forms of the exploit, it'll be hard to enforce it, considering the exploits are already very popular and hard to prove without video evidence. If we allow all forms of the exploit, the grappling hook would only be used for high mobility and rarely used to get kills. If I had to choose however, I would just choose to allow it, considering it would take some pressure off of the staff (although it's not like they anything on duty anyway), and it involves the least amount of change. Radical change, like removing the Jump Pack, is not good by the way.
( ͡°_ʖ ͡°)