Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helper Rank
I was thinking about a non staff rank that allowed trusted regular players who show promise or just wanna help out like a donor does but don't have the money to buy donor. This rank would have gag/mute and maybe kick and would just a staff assistance rank. They'd help out with chat and mic spam and such when the other staff are dealing with reports/issues on server that are a higher priority than that. A player should only be given this rank if they accept it and shouldn't ask for it. It could either be applied for with a smaller time frame than Trusted or given based on recommendations by current staff/highly respected players in the community.
[Image: b_560x95.png][Image: clapclub.jpg?width=1202&height=519]
sounds good, but all i see are people begging and potentially staff just giving it to players who they want as staff, but the community says no to
[Image: J6yUs0g]
(11-22-2019, 07:18 PM)stormtrooper aim Wrote: sounds good, but all i see are people begging and potentially staff just giving it to players who they want as staff, but the community says no to

Well it'd need to be admin approved as well. Or maybe a committee could be created for each server to approve it.
That's already kind of like Trusted, what's the point of adding another role that's already covered by Donor and Trusted together. It could also lead to players overstepping unclear and even clear boundaries.
[Image: Nicol_dumb.jpg]
Nothing happened here.
(11-22-2019, 07:37 PM)JustKuono Wrote: That's already kind of like Trusted, what's the point of adding another role that's already covered by Donor and Trusted together. It could also lead to players overstepping unclear and even clear boundaries.

Trusted is an entry staff level position. It is applied for and given as a staff level role. You also cannot put Donor in the conversation because it's a paid for rank. It'd be something that can be used to monitor if they could be good for staff or just something that someone can earn rather than donating money they don't have.
I know of some server that do this and as far as commands go, its just gag, mute, and kick. which is basically trusted without the friends command and tp command. Don't be afraid come apply.
I get the idea, but my issues with it are: 1. People might see themselves as staff with that role and overstep they're boundaries. I mean, it happens with donors, too. 2. Donors don't need to donate to get those powers, then. 3. If staff are gonna choose who gets the rank, then why not just encourage them to apply for trusted? I mean it's just trusted with a few less powers and the player doesn't need to be promoted any higher if they choose not to.
Yeezy makes good points that would be constant issues. Yes the helper rank would go to people who are regulars that we get to know and trust but people change. Some people, including staff, may start out as nice and helpful but over time they are no longer fit to have such commands on the server. This is also a way to have staff members get their friends to have roles on the server since I do not see why we would make this an applicable position and not just give them trusted.

What you are suggesting is basically the rank of donor but with no donating involved just cherry picked members of the community getting the role. This may work fine today but the staff team has a history that would have been absolute hell even more than it already was at the time if this role existed with the abusive powers that were involved that you and I both know existed at separate times. I will not say if that issue exists today or not but there is obviously a chance it could repeat itself in the future like it has already with an abusive higher up just making his friends/colleagues basically staff and running rough shot on the server.

This is not a bad idea and I understand the thoughts for this. However for a Gmod server, the cons and/or repercussions of this idea, I do not believe is worthwhile.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
(11-22-2019, 08:57 PM)TheUltraFish Wrote: Yeezy makes good points that would be constant issues. Yes the helper rank would go to people who are regulars that we get to know and trust but people change. Some people, including staff, may start out as nice and helpful but over time they are no longer fit to have such commands on the server. This is also a way to have staff members get their friends to have roles on the server since I do not see why we would make this an applicable position and not just give them trusted.

What you are suggesting is basically the rank of donor but with no donating involved just cherry picked members of the community getting the role. This may work fine today but the staff team has a history that would have been absolute hell even more than it already was at the time if this role existed with the abusive powers that were involved that you and I both know existed at separate times. I will not say if that issue exists today or not but there is obviously a chance it could repeat itself in the future like it has already with an abusive higher up just making his friends/colleagues basically staff and running rough shot on the server.

This is not a bad idea and I understand the thoughts for this. However for a Gmod server, the cons and/or repercussions of this idea, I do not believe is worthwhile.

Then maybe let's do it as a fallback. We're not confident enough to give them staff but we wanna see if they can handle the issues of being staff. I know this server also has a history of promoting bad staff to Trusted and we've had what we've called "Forever Trusted". Just give people a chance to show they can use powers without making them a Trusted rank.
"Then maybe let's do it as a fallback. We're not confident enough to give them staff but we wanna see if they can handle the issues of being staff. I know this server also has a history of promoting bad staff to Trusted and we've had what we've called "Forever Trusted". Just give people a chance to show they can use powers without making them a Trusted rank." Travis

So now instead of having to keep an eye on all staff and several donors for possibly abusing powers, we would also have to keep track of people who we don't fully trust with a rank that is basically donor and that would be absolutely pointless to give donors on top of everything else? If I am not confident in giving someone the trusted rank that they apply for or that the community does not believe is ready with good reason, then they will not get trusted. Not to mention in what you are suggesting, they could either get denied a trusted application and receive a rank that they did not want, or just by getting rid of the trusted application altogether and selecting people on the server we believe are good candidates and giving the Helper Rank (with their okay of course).

We have enough ranks, if a person wants to gain our trust to get the trusted rank, they can do so in many ways. A few of the ways, helping out on the server, letting staff know of troublemakers either by using the admin chat, by contacting a staff member via steam or discord, pinging on call staff, being a good or decent role model on the server, being active in the community (forums, discord, server, etc.), turning in ban requests, and asking questions about various subjects.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army