Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make game run better
I'm not a big computer wiz, so someone help me out. I average 150+ fps and I have lag. I set the shadow detail or whatever on low as well. My computer isn't the problem because I run other games on the highest settings with no lag or anything.

Could be the server, could be my settings, but any type of help is appreciated
[Image: image0.png]
2x TTT Admin
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers
If you don't mind sacrificing graphics, I'd recommend an autoexec suited to what you're after. You're autoexec.cfg can be found in Steam>steamapps>common>Garry's Mod>garrysmod>cfg. 

If you want to look over console commands yourself, go for it. If not, this is what I use:

r_cheapwaterstart "1"
r_cheapwaterend "1"
r_waterforceexpensive "0"
r_WaterDrawReflection "0"
r_waterforcereflectentities "0"

mat_hdr_level "0"

mat_antialias "0"
mat_filtertextures "1"
mat_forceaniso "0"
mat_trilinear "0"

mat_fastspecular "1"
mat_filterlightmaps "1"
mat_specular "0"
r_dynamic "0"
r_lightaverage "0"
r_maxdlights "0"
r_occlusion "1"

mat_shadowstate "0"
r_shadows "1"
r_flashlightdepthtexture "1"
r_shadowrendertotexture "0"
r_shadowfromworldlights "0"

mat_bumpmap "1"
mat_clipz "1"
mat_colorcorrection "1"
mat_compressedtextures "1"
mat_picmip "2"
r_3dsky "0"

cl_forcepreload "1"
sv_forcepreload "1"
cl_ragdoll_collide "0"
fps_max "300"
mat_reducefillrate "1"
mat_vsync "0"
cl_lagcompensation "1"

con_filter_enable "1"
con_filter_text_out "CMaterial"
cl_showfps "1"

host_writeconfig

If you don't like anything in here, just let me know. If you want to write it yourself, it's a good place to start. You can expect at least a >15 fps increase with it, but I've gained about 30-40, sometimes hitting 200 depending on the map itself.

You can also set your memory usage to high prio, but if your PC is great, talk to your ISP. I've rarely had connection issues on this server unless it crashes. I've played a lot of servers before, some more heavily modified than Dinkleberg's, and there is absolutely no difference at all between connection on both.
its the server that lags, because the ton of addons that aren't optimized/working properly

You could try the 64-bit client now that you dont get autobanned for using it, it helped me out
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
You could also disable the PS2 visuals if you haven’t already. And look in guides and information. One of the earlier post in there by Moderate Hurricane Weather was how to make gmod run better.
Something that helps significantly is enabling the experimental multicore rendering option. If you experience crashes, remove it, but if you don't, leave it in.

In the autoexec.cfg file:

Code:
gmod_mcore_test 1
mat_queue_mode -1
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1

autoexec.cfg is located in <steam directory>\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg\autoexec.cfg. This configuration change is not permanent when placed directly in the console, and must be done this way if you don't want to enter the commands each time your relaunch the game.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
Along with some of the crap addons, some of the crap maps definitely don’t help performance either. I can run most games at mid-high, and I’ll still 20-30 FPS and frame spikes on certain maps.
(12-29-2019, 08:15 PM)EpicGuy Wrote: Along with some of the crap addons, some of the crap maps definitely don’t help performance either. I can run most games at mid-high, and I’ll still 20-30 FPS and frame spikes on certain maps.

Shoutouts to 2016 Rooftops
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
A lot of the time it’s the maps or addons. The Source engine is generally optimized to hell, but anything community made isn’t. My computer is shit so some maps run really well but others run horribly.
"Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes!"