Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unpopular popular opinion
(12-15-2019, 03:55 PM)Gabe Wrote: Double Jump is bad, that will never happen. I'm not against exploring other options, but it's a complex issue to resolve.

quad jumping? best idea. and couldnt you just make it so people cant put there head in the ceiling with map editing?
(12-15-2019, 04:02 PM)悲しい子ね Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 03:55 PM)Gabe Wrote: Double Jump is bad, that will never happen. I'm not against exploring other options, but it's a complex issue to resolve.

quad jumping? best idea. and couldnt you just make it so people cant put there head in the ceiling with map editing?

You probably could, but that would a be fuckton of maps to edit
I suggest we do lower the jumpack power to make it where you can’t get anywhere near a roof, but it still acts somewhat as low gravity, but also add on my suggestion where if you crouch when you hit the ground you roll and negate most fall damage. Would make it so that there is still uniqueness and gives a small boost to jumpack users. We could at least try it out for a period, see if it helps with hit boxes and decide if one of the other should stay.
(12-15-2019, 04:02 PM)悲しい子ね Wrote:

No, you can't, because you literally cannot stop somebody's model and hitbox from clipping into the ceiling when they crouch jump with the jump pack. Thanks, Source Engine.
(12-15-2019, 04:35 PM)MiniMe2001 Wrote: I suggest we do lower the jumpack power to make it where you can’t get anywhere near a roof, but it still acts somewhat as low gravity, but also add on my suggestion where if you crouch when you hit the ground you roll and negate most fall damage. Would make it so that there is still uniqueness and gives a small boost to jumpack users. We could at least try it out for a period, see if it helps with hit boxes and decide if one of the other should stay.

I like this idea, only reason I really use jump pack is cause I have super bad luck with ladders (they hate me) and so the jump pack keeps me from just flat out dying when someone tries to push me off one or my lag sends me flying off.
why dont we just heavily reduce fall damage, since thats the only real reason people use the jetpack. so they don't die to falling
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
The only issue I have experienced not playing with a jump pack is fall damage. The best way to fix this is to institute something along the lines of what MiniMe is recommending. I think adding a roll to the server would fix most of all the issues. I do not see a need at all for any type of jump pack. However, if some people cannot live without the jump pack add one that lowers the jump height VERY significantly and slows your velocity when you hold your spacebar. Jumping into the ceiling would not be an issue if this was implemented. The jump pack that we have now is just insane in how much jump height it will give you, it's much too generous with that, it also fucks up hitboxes but that's another story.

So, just REMOVE the current jump pack and add either a jump pack with a lot less generous jump height and/or add the rolling thing that has been brought up earlier in the thread.

oh also, fuck any type of stamina system double/triple/quad jumping bullshit.
Gonna re-re-repost this because I like the maneuverability of the jetpack. This idea never picks up traction, but anytime this comes up, I'll keep suggesting it. The second link has a damage multiplier function, but that can be easily negated and removed. All of these options are probably gonna make b-hoppers cranky.

I've looked all over the Valve developer wiki and Garry's Mod wiki for a possible solution, but I don't believe it's entirely possible with the engine Garry's Mod works with. If you were to match the players hull with the model compensated with the jetpack boost, there'd be a severe issue when trying to get over things, and I think even under. It would feel terrible for those even who don't crouch jump.

However, I've found a possible fix on GitHub, but this is one I personally don't know if I enjoy compared to other potential fixes. The basic idea is that after a crouch jump, once you hit the ground, you're locked to the ground for a few seconds to prevent jump spamming. You can probably see the issue with this. 

This is the GitHub lua code for it: GitHub

A few other options:

1) Lower the upward velocity given of the jumppack and alternate for more of a "safe-fall" option which would be encouraged as a simple hover rather than upward boost.

2) Crouch jumping makes your weapon extremely inaccurate- the worst option would be to 'jam' your weapon from firing when hovered. 

3) You can no longer crouch jump for x seconds after shooting your weapon. 
          - You can crouch, but not jump and vice versa.

4) A function that prevents crouch jump spam by locking the player for a selected number of seconds after consecutive jumps.
          - After x jumps you're prevented from jumping for x seconds.

5) Get rid of the jumppack.

I think one, three, and four are the best options.

After digging through the FacePunch archives, I've also found this GitHub. It's another player mode code to prevent jump + crouch spamming.
In all my years, I’ve never seen this much hoopla over the jet pack. Saying that people are going to leave the community over a jet pack is one of the most outlandish things I’ve heard, especially considering there’s other, more pressing issues that would probably drive people to leave (like trash maps and other garbage addons).

As others have said, the jet pack negates some fall damage. As we know, the fall damage and ladders in this engine are absolutely ridiculous. Secondly, to call the jet pack “nooby” is a bit much. If it gives an advantage, I’m going to use it. Especially considering some jumps aren’t possible without it. Which leads to the exploit part of the jet pack.

The jet pack does allow for people’s heads to clip through the ceiling. But they don’t stay up there forever. And if they’re in the ceiling and you can’t shoot their head, shoot their body. To act like you’re all CS:GO pros and only aim for headshots is ridiculous too. Of course some of you are aiming for headshots, I do too, but the majority of you limp wrists are aiming at the chest and lower. Also jumping affects your accuracy. If you die from someone in the air (and they’re not using the shotgun), you’re a baddie.

If there are any alternatives to the jet pack, let’s test them out and implement them. I’m not opposed to a better option. Until then, I’m not going to play on a server that has trash single jump, where I can barely crouch jump onto a ledge.
(12-15-2019, 08:41 PM)EpicGuy Wrote: Also jumping affects your accuracy. If you die from someone in the air (and they’re not using the shotgun), you’re a baddie.

This isn't CS:GO. Or even CS:S. Jumping in TTT on GMod does not affect your accuracy whatsoever. It's the reason that I, and so many others, complain about spamming crouch jump, because they can't be hit while they can hit us all day long.