Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Voice Chat Battery
Cool idea, but putting this into a game mode that requires (more or less) communication between multiple people is a bad idea. 

The only game mode it wouldn't directly affect is Death Run. 

There's a reason that donor's and staff have the gag function, and every user can mute individual people. 

Adding the battery to the server, I personally feel like it would do more damage than it would help.
It would absolutely do more damage than good. It is now, and for a minute has been, common to allow players to speak on just about whatever they want if it’s not against certain rules for as long as they want. Staff are supposed to limit conversations that take away from gameplay, even if it’s not anything “bad”. As soon as callouts are being stepped on or the general noise level is too loud, staff should be stepping in to lower the noise level.

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
The gag command exists for a reason, if the noise level is getting to a point where it is interfering with the ability to play the game than staff need to address that, not put in a battery that also interferes with playing the game. Perhaps the problem is too much leniency, if people are interfering with the game, put an end to it.
Ex TTT Mod Dec 14, 2019 - Dec 14, 2019
Ex PH Mod April 14, 2019 - January 20, 2020
Ex PH Mod May 9, 2020 - May 27, 2022
Proud member of the RDMS
Ex Forum Admin May 6, 2022 - May 6, 2022
Former PH Map Editor

The gag command absolutely exists for a reason but on that same coin, mic spam is on the lower tier of priority on the list of things to handle on server. I don't see a problem with putting it up if it can be customized to suit our roles so that staff, donors, and regulars have unlimited. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having this thing for PH. It would cut down on random mic spam from people who just join to mic spam when no staff are on and such.

Just giving it a trial wouldn't hurt.
[Image: b_560x95.png][Image: clapclub.jpg?width=1202&height=519]
This has been suggested (and shot down) numerous times and for the same reasons.
I don't think mic battery is a good idea because it punishes players who are not a part of the problem.
Just gag the loud people because, y'know that's considered mic spam.
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
Hell no. Since I don't see an admin denying or locking it so I presume it's still open. I don't want to go back to enjin days. I mean there's always donors and higher on. If people are mic spammings or you think they're just talking nonsense, just warn and gag them. If you feel that they might report you for it, record a demo or use recording software to protect your abuse.
If you never seen me before, then ignore me. Just focus on your job.
If you need to know why I'm here when I don't play the server, just ask.
If you want to know why Nicol is Nicole, then its because Nicole is secretly Nicol.
(12-01-2019, 05:20 PM)Noire ♜ Wrote: We need to have voice chat batteries to reduce everyone speaking over each other and to limit micspam a bit more.

Donors/Staff can have unlimited battery, maybe even regulars, everyone else has x amount of time to speak and then it recharges when you aren't speaking. The server is just a bit too loud when there are 16+ people on talking at the same time.

heck, maybe we could activate voice battery when the server exceeds 16 people. Who knows, all I know is that we need it.

I've played on a server with voice chat battery, and unless the amount of time you have to speak is adjustable I don't recommend it because it lasts a whole 5 seconds and takes 10 to recharge and is very annoying.

(12-11-2019, 04:21 PM)[GFL] Bae Wrote: Hell no. Since I don't see an admin denying or locking it so I presume it's still open. I don't want to go back to enjin days. I mean there's always donors and higher on. If people are mic spammings or you think they're just talking nonsense, just warn and gag them. If you feel that they might report you for it, record a demo or use recording software to protect your abuse.

the problem isn't really mic spamming it's just too many people talking over each other and it can be confusing  :P
Cool
(12-11-2019, 04:37 PM)>Evee< Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 05:20 PM)Noire ♜ Wrote: We need to have voice chat batteries to reduce everyone speaking over each other and to limit micspam a bit more.

Donors/Staff can have unlimited battery, maybe even regulars, everyone else has x amount of time to speak and then it recharges when you aren't speaking. The server is just a bit too loud when there are 16+ people on talking at the same time.

heck, maybe we could activate voice battery when the server exceeds 16 people. Who knows, all I know is that we need it.

I've played on a server with voice chat battery, and unless the amount of time you have to speak is adjustable I don't recommend it because it lasts a whole 5 seconds and takes 10 to recharge and is very annoying.

(12-11-2019, 04:21 PM)[GFL] Bae Wrote: Hell no. Since I don't see an admin denying or locking it so I presume it's still open. I don't want to go back to enjin days. I mean there's always donors and higher on. If people are mic spammings or you think they're just talking nonsense, just warn and gag them. If you feel that they might report you for it, record a demo or use recording software to protect your abuse.

the problem isn't really mic spamming it's just too many people talking over each other and it can be confusing  :P

This. We don't like to gag people for just having a conversation. Sometimes when there are a lot of people talking it gets loud. It's not people going out of their way to make it loud, it just happens. Then if we do gag for it, people get angry and complain. It's not just as easy as gagging loud people. Nearly every voice battery addon can be changed to only activate only when there are a certain amount of people on/changed the amount of time you can speak/amount of time it takes to recharge. I'm not stronly advocating for it, as we really don't need it, but this is from a staff member's perspective that doesn't like gagging people just because they're talking.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Have to say -1, sometimes people are having a great conversation that require long amounts of mic time, I can see the reasoning behind the suggestion though, they're some people who will take the "freedom of speech" liberty too the next level, but thats why you can either mute them clientside or a staff will mute them if their chatting is excessively annoying.
[Image: 76561197993157530.png]
Since a bunch of loser former staff are making suggestions, I thought I would throw my unwanted opinion out.

Like most of the other former staff before me said, if the staff actually gagged idiots for micspam, this wouldn't be an issue. If you have a problem with someone hogging the mic, mute them client side. Part of the community aspect of this community is to have people talk about stupid crap while playing the game. If you limit someone to speaking in 5 second intervals, you'll see the community die slowly but surely.

Yes, there are times when you can't gag someone because you're doing something else. But I guarantee at least 9/10 times, the same idiot who screamed in their mic the first time is going to scream in their mic again. Gag them then. Or, pause what you're doing, gag the person, and then go back to what you were doing.