Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are you for or against guns?
I'm genuinely curious as to what position people stand on within the community. So are you for or against guns? If against why, what made you think this way, and what could get you to think different?
I like some guns, such as the H.U.G.E-249, but I hate guns like the S&W Model 3.
I am in favor of guns and weapons education especially. 

I personally own several guns, however I also have hundreds of hours of training about/with guns. 

I do believe that BEFORE anyone purchases/owns a gun of any kind they should at the very least attend and pass a weapons safety course.
(12-28-2020, 12:45 PM)White Owl Wrote: I'm genuinely curious as to what position people stand on within the community. So are you for or against guns? If against why, what made you think this way, and what could get you to think different?

I'll entertain you on this one.

There are 20,000 gun regulations already implemented into the United States of America, so to try and push for more control is an infringement of the 2nd Amendment right.

The biggest issue with firearms isn't people going to massively shoot up populated areas, it's suicide. This stems from some owners having PTSD or some other mental disorder.

So, the next question is, why do we have this problem? Why aren't these people with mental disorders trying to get help? 

In New York, if a legal firearm owner confesses to the government that he/she at that current time is mentally unstable, they take any firearms this individual has and that person is legally barred from purchasing firearms again, even if they are fine later. Something we have to consider with mental health is that 90% of it is temporary, so this is cruel to do to someone who is a law-abiding citizen. 

Michael Sodini, Founder of Walk The Talk America, says it best: [b]All too often, firearms owners were foregoing mental health services for fear of losing their firearm rights, while many mental health practitioners lacked the training to properly serve members of the 2A Community. 

[/b]
Sodini has the idea of giving Americans anonymous screenings, and pitched an idea of rather than just stripping citizens of their firearms, they instead take them for a little while and store them somewhere UNTIL that person is mentally healthy again. When they are mentally stable, their guns would be returned to them. 

I'd suggest to anyone, regardless of your belief, to check out Colion Noir's Podcast episode with Michael Sodini, as it's a real eye-opening discussing (link provided below, as well as Walk the Talk America's site)

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1bOauLy...hiAoh7qHVg

https://walkthetalkamerica.org/
I love guns and yea i agree with Voss, don't just buy guns for fun without safety training lol
[Image: titan.gif]
(12-28-2020, 01:01 PM)Salty Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 12:45 PM)White Owl Wrote: I'm genuinely curious as to what position people stand on within the community. So are you for or against guns? If against why, what made you think this way, and what could get you to think different?

I'll entertain you on this one.

There are 20,000 gun regulations already implemented into the United States of America, so to try and push for more control is an infringement of the 2nd Amendment right.

The biggest issue with firearms isn't people going to massively shoot up populated areas, it's suicide. This stems from some owners having PTSD or some other mental disorder.

So, the next question is, why do we have this problem? Why aren't these people with mental disorders trying to get help? 

In New York, if a legal firearm owner confesses to the government that he/she at that current time is mentally unstable, they take any firearms this individual has and that person is legally barred from purchasing firearms again, even if they are fine later. Something we have to consider with mental health is that 90% of it is temporary, so this is cruel to do to someone who is a law-abiding citizen. 

Michael Sodini, Founder of Walk The Talk America, says it best: [b]All too often, firearms owners were foregoing mental health services for fear of losing their firearm rights, while many mental health practitioners lacked the training to properly serve members of the 2A Community. 

[/b]
Sodini has the idea of giving Americans anonymous screenings, and pitched an idea of rather than just stripping citizens of their firearms, they instead take them for a little while and store them somewhere UNTIL that person is mentally healthy again. When they are mentally stable, their guns would be returned to them. 

I'd suggest to anyone, regardless of your belief, to check out Colion Noir's Podcast episode with Michael Sodini, as it's a real eye-opening discussing (link provided below, as well as Walk the Talk America's site)

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1bOauLy...hiAoh7qHVg

https://walkthetalkamerica.org/

That is a very good point, these are the same questions my professors bring up. I'm actually writing a paper soon regarding where gun violence stems from.
I HATE THE Mp9

but every other gun i'm fine with
As a left-winger (and Texan) I’d like to say I support the owning of guns in the U.S. However I think there should be a somewhat strict regulation of weapons. We need incremental background checks just like we have for driver’s liscences. I understand that it’s the “right” of American citizens to own them but I believe if we want a safe country that moves away from a culture of violence we need to make sure we have people who are educated on guns, with a regulated, required saftey training. I also think the law should be the same across the country instead of a state-to-state basis.

also fuck the mp9. [2]
(12-28-2020, 01:46 PM)jingle rats Wrote: As a left-winger (and Texan) I’d like to say I support the owning of guns in the U.S. However I think there should be a somewhat strict regulation of weapons. We need incremental background checks just like we have for driver’s liscences. I understand that it’s the “right” of American citizens to own them but I believe if we want a safe country that moves away from a culture of violence we need to make sure we have people who are educated on guns, with a regulated, required saftey training. I also think the law should be the same across the country instead of a state-to-state basis.

also fuck the mp9. [2]

Most of the gun violence occurs in low socioeconomic areas, as it has become a part of the culture in these areas. Also, there are over 20,000 different regulations both at the state and federal level already in the United States. I agree with the regulated safety training, but the problem is most of the gun violence occurs from people who have obtained firearms illegally so punishing legal firearm owners more isn't going to solve anything.
(12-28-2020, 01:46 PM)jingle rats Wrote: As a left-winger (and Texan) I’d like to say I support the owning of guns in the U.S. However I think there should be a somewhat strict regulation of weapons. We need incremental background checks just like we have for driver’s liscences. I understand that it’s the “right” of American citizens to own them but I believe if we want a safe country that moves away from a culture of violence we need to make sure we have people who are educated on guns, with a regulated, required saftey training. I also think the law should be the same across the country instead of a state-to-state basis.

also fuck the mp9. [2]

Well Mr/Mrs Jingle I hope you do realize that the background checks we already have in place are even more extensive than the one for a driver's license. At one point in time I sold guns at one of the biggest hunting/fishing stores in the entire U.S. In some cases I saw NICS (the national criminal background check system) would even take up to several months for someone to be cleared. Not only did we run someone's information through a FBI system but we also had them fill out a long questionnaire. Finally the last set of defense is the seller's judgement. We are told that if someone appears suspicious, appearing to do a straw purchase (purchasing a firearm for someone who can't due to legal or age reasons), under the influence (even of legal drugs), if they appear distraught or emotional, we are able to decline the sale. So not only do we have all of these systems in place, we also have the common sense of gun sellers and on top of that even physical paper work. One thing I can agree with is the fact that we need more education. The fact that if you are 18 and can purchase anything that isn't considered a hand gun with no training is quite scary. I say this because the majority of 18 year olds I know who purchase a gun with no prior training or even basic knowledge always has accidents. If there isn't a accident at the very least they are putting everyone around them at risk. I've even had someone play around with a shotgun by aiming it at my face and "fake" pulling the trigger as a joke. After I got mad I asked the person if it was chambered with a slug and they said no, I checked and it was very much loaded (even off of safe). These accidents happen because of misinformation and because people simply don't have access to the proper education on firearms. If our government can provide us firearms, they can also provide us at the very least a 3 day class on safety. In order to get a hunting license in most states you have to go through a hunter-safety course with a exam included at the end. So we can force classes onto people just so they can go hunting but not for the gun they have in their hands that they need to go hunting in the first place?