Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
enable sprays
enable sprays just make them sfw, thank you
[Image: xdjlve.png]
[Image: unknown.png]

Contrary to popular belief, actual fucking retards and degenerates appear with fucked up sprays.
Not gonna go into a rant, but its been brought up before. I'd love to have my own shitposting sprays on the server as much as the next guy, but the cons outweigh the pros.
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Project Moon Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
allowing anyone to put any image they want to on the wall for everyone on the server to see is the worst idea I have ever heard in my life

Besides that, sprays are a pretty big security vulnerability. By default, sprays upload the image to the server for everyone to download. Letting a player pick any file on their computer to send to every player on the server isn't a great idea. Even with an addon that forces you to use image URLS, we've all seen images on Discord that cause crashes or can redirect to things that are not images.

All in all, bad idea for both security and legality. We can get into some serious trouble for letting people put some images on the wall.
(02-17-2021, 10:23 AM)RussEfarmer Wrote: allowing anyone to put any image they want to on the wall for everyone on the server to see is the worst idea I have ever heard in my life

Besides that, sprays are a pretty big security vulnerability. By default, sprays upload the image to the server for everyone to download. Letting a player pick any file on their computer to send to every player on the server isn't a great idea. Even with an addon that forces you to use image URLS, we've all seen images on Discord that cause crashes or can redirect to things that are not images.

All in all, bad idea for both security and legality. We can get into some serious trouble for letting people put some images on the wall.
we let people illegal download YouTube links, convert them into mp3 and play them on a server called “dinklebergs” ttt that collects “donations” in the form of premium points (which can be used for gambling on crates), I don’t think legality or security is an issue here
Question:

Wich of the two you have mentioned sir jax, can cause server crashes by dickheads abusing the code of Gmod, or can have explicit NSFW content wich is difficult-impossible to track without additional addons?

Oh wait. Its none of them. Its sprays that can cause this, its like you fail to understand what Russ has said. I shall dumb it down for you.

Spray is file. Bad file maybe cause server crash. Server crash bad. Bad file may be bad picture. Can cause police to shutdown server. Shutdown server bad.
Resigned Staff since 03-26-2018.
Jax, it would let terrible people have a bigger surface to do their nonsense. The difference with Queues is that it's just for Donors and Staff. I had seen a recent vulnerability were a specially crafted ragdoll would let a random program run in your machine. Now imagine sprays
I'd like to see some form of sprays added. Is there some form of custom addon we could implement to pre-select image sprays, so that only dink images are allowed (e.g. discord emojis).
Also possibly just use steam profile pic for sprays but that still brings similar issues
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
Problem is we probably really don’t have many coders that would have any idea how to make sprays safe and stuff. Stuff like this would require it even if we use someone else’s work.
(02-17-2021, 12:24 PM)King Tiger Ace Fasda22 Wrote: Question:

Wich of the two you have mentioned sir jax, can cause server crashes by dickheads abusing the code of Gmod, or can have explicit NSFW content wich is difficult-impossible to track without additional addons?

Oh wait. Its none of them. Its sprays that can cause this, its like you fail to understand what Russ has said. I shall dumb it down for you.

Spray is file. Bad file maybe cause server crash. Server crash bad. Bad file may be bad picture. Can cause police to shutdown server. Shutdown server bad.

hahaha you're so sad

There are addons and systems in place that others server use to make sprays more secure

There are addons that enable the picture to be tagged with the STEAM ID: of the person who sprayed it, and allow the sprays to be vetted before being accepted.

There are addons that don't even use the current spray system GMOD has on by default.

There's more than one way approach something
No need to squabble or for the name calling. Fasda and Russ are correct, the current gmod sprays system would be nothing short of a nightmare.

That being said I'd support adding filtered sprays via addon.
When I get some spare time (someone remind me) I'll see if there are any addons we can implement that would allow for pre selected sprays (or someone smarter than me can look)
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks