Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slurs
(10-31-2022, 06:43 PM)Jammin Wrote: When under the context of vehicle repair, "tranny" shouldn't be remotely considered in terms of staffing. It isn't a slur. It is a vehicle part.

I've fought for months to clarify the difference between slurs (bad under all contexts) and derogatory language (context-sensitive). All I got was flamed and belittled, but I still stand my ground on this issue.

Also if any less-common slurs, such as "darkie" are going to be treated as slurs, they should be specified. As a once super active moderator, I only warn for n-slur, f slur, k slur as slurs. Anything else is context sensitive and falls under derogatory language.

Except that people have used the excuse of it having another meaning as a method of trolling and circumventing the rules, and staff have allowed such things to happen. If you're going to allow it in a specific context, people ARE going to abuse that loophole. No question about it. 

According to the TTT rules "Spamming, trolling with, or using any offensive language (racism, sexism, etc) towards other people is NOT allowed" so it isn't about whether people 'know it's a slur' or how 'commonly used of a slur' it is. The rules plain and simple state it's not allowed.

[Editing to clarify the second part of this post is in response to the "Also if any less-common slurs...." line, not about the use of the shortened form of transmission.]
(10-31-2022, 06:37 PM)BillyBob Wrote: There are hundreds, if not thousands of slurs. It is impossible to expect staff to compile a list. When in doubt use common sense and context of the situation.

To my knowledge this was not the first time you were warned to not use such word. Move on from here.

I have to say this, in my respect of Jammin's words, the sensation of myself posting my response to him is unlikely. But, it is now to the test that I have to make one. I don't have any knowledge of Trannies and other slurs I can say, but I can try to learn because of my unusual thinking of WHETHER saying Tranny is a good word to describe them or just to insult them.

This is a serious matter. Slurs are usually used to insult a certain group. I heard of a slur one. Worse than the N word. It's that FUCKING word I hated by all worlds, and I think it's this word called "Dink".

Dink. Oh man. That word fucked me up. It was so offensive that I have to reply to your post (about slurs) to you about this new slur. I heard it too many times. This slur, Dink, needs to be heard and I don't even know my status to say this to God (Jammin) about this, but I hope to God (Jammin) that he'll (Jammin) would do something of that matter.

God (Jammin) is good. He's (Jammin) been with us since the dawn of time. God (Jammin) wants you to become a better man. God (Jammin) has created a Bible (Dinkleberg's Discord) to let us learn about the Lord (Jammin). AND WE CAN'T BE USING SLURS HERE, IT'S AGINAST THE LAW OF ALL THINGS.

Jesus (Dinkleberg) is going to catch us if we won't stop using this slur: Dink. Hell, if we keep doing this, than we all get banned and go outside for the first time since birth.

And you know what, my status is pretty mediocre by most of you, but let me say, that I'm trying to be a reasonable fella of those slurs, especially the word "Dink". 

SPREAD LOVE, YOU IDOTS 

Sincerely (from the bottom of my ass), Witchyle AKA Witchy AKA Kurt Coburn AKA nobody

P.S. I'm spiritual, so I usually smoke from that grass called "Jammin's (God) Paradise".
You just need to learn to move on and accept things. We learn from our mistakes, so you should learn from this one and just accept that you shouldn't say it. You can also learn from it to say the full word instead of a shortcut when on the server, not that hard. This goes back to what I said on your discord unban appeal, think before you speak. I also think you shouldn't try to turn something into a big deal by finding a bunch of excuses and trying to rewrite the rules because of something that easily can be avoided next time you talk about it.

We can't just allow blanket scenarios where we allow slurs to be said even if they have some sort of legitimate alternative definition. That's just silly, people would troll their asses off with that and try to skirt around the rules every opportunity they get. I'd point to this thread as an example(people self-sensored f slur as odd fellow here lol) the dude tried to pass off saying the f slur as meaning a "bundle of sticks" while talking to Scoovie. If we allowed this and a scenario like that, people would just be saying slurs willy-nilly and be like "oh hahaha guis i actually was talking about a car transmission or a bundle of stacks hahaha wtf staff abuse." Or something like that.

(10-31-2022, 07:04 PM)A Steel Waffle Wrote: Well this instance we were discussing was shaye saying she shut would shut off Cocos computer for 20 bucks then it went to 10 bucks I said you think I have. To which I said I have to have tr**ny work done.
This can EASILY be taken out of context, this is exactly what I mean lmao. This does not give off the sense that you were talking about vehicle work
Well this instance we were discussing was shaye saying she shut would shut off Cocos computer for 20 bucks then it went to 10 bucks I said you think I have. To which I said I have to have tr**ny work done.

(10-31-2022, 06:37 PM)BillyBob Wrote: There are hundreds, if not thousands of slurs. It is impossible to expect staff to compile a list. When in doubt use common sense and context of the situation.

To my knowledge this was not the first time you were warned to not use such word. Move on from here.
I never once used this word ever while I have said some stupid stuff I will say I knew nothing about this. Also if there's so many slurs how do you expect one person to keep up with everything
[Image: its-vodka-vodka.gif]
(10-31-2022, 07:04 PM)A Steel Waffle Wrote: Also if there's so many slurs how do you expect one person to keep up with everything
Not being derogatory towards people in general is a good first step

Also, the context in which you used that word is not very clear.
The conversation wasn't about vehicle work at the time, and The way you use the word is very unnatural. Even automotive folks wouldn't say it the way you said it. Since the context was around costly repairs in general, not around vehicle repairs specifically, it seems like "t----" is simply shoehorned in. I would probably have said simply "vehicle work" or maybe "vehicle transmission/tranny" work. Just using the word standalone is sus and doesn't fit the context.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(10-31-2022, 06:43 PM)Jammin Wrote: -snip-

i'd have to disagree with your point due in part to the fact that i think it's a terrible idea to sacrifice the comfort of an entire group of players for the sake of only having to use 2 syllables instead of 3 when talking about a car part. however, i thoroughly enjoyed the rollercoaster that was my initial skim over your response, so thank you for posting it. /gen
(10-31-2022, 07:22 PM)Reina Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 06:43 PM)Jammin Wrote: -snip-

i'd have to disagree with your point due in part to the fact that i think it's a terrible idea to sacrifice the comfort of an entire group of players for the sake of only having to use 2 syllables instead of 3 when talking about a car part. however, i thoroughly enjoyed the rollercoaster that was my initial skim over your response, so thank you for posting it. /gen
I'm not comfortable around alot of words you allow but we won't get into that because our opinions don't matter

Go ahead and close this thread I have had enough of this I spoke my true voice only for people to go in and smear me like I have said this word before.
you can call it an honest mistake and appeal the warning with bryan maybe. at least now you know that it is a slur nowadays. as for the dictionary of slurs for staff to display to a server full of degenerates I don't think that would work well just because you know.
I had no ill intent yet am damned to be called a transphobic person.
FADED THAN A HO
FADED THAN A HO
FADED THAN A HO