Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Anonymity, Hostility, and Context
utilizing my newly found creative tools on the forums, I will be moving the responses about hostile anonymous comments with no context here so we can all have a fruitful discussion about it without taking away from Mr Damien's app. No one is in trouble for that, just moving here so the discussion can be continued (in a continued civil way ofc). 

also ignore the date on this thread, it was the only way I can move all the posts with me as the author rather than someone else for some reason! this thread was created on 12/6/2022 at 2:51 AM EST. This was a pain to do haha

Ill respond with my own thoughts throughout, but as it is nearly 3am I am not doing that rn

feel free to edit your initial comments to those that posted on Damien's so it makes more sense (please understand that some of these comments were initially in Damien's, so they may look odd initially. Read fully through for full context, especially those that were quoted preedit the more you scroll down to be fair to everyone).
(12-04-2022, 09:25 PM)bryanbrr Wrote: This is an anonymous comment from a community member

-1 Your behavior over the past few months has only gotten worse. The most prevalent issue was being told you needed to learn to think for yourself and instead of trying to rectify it in any way, you wear those comments like it's a badge of honor. Someone that still can't think for himself, parades off his friends and disregards others opinions as troll behavior should not be given karma manipulation access whatsoever. On your own, you are actually more likely to karma ban someone with insufficient evidence or provoke them into getting themselves banned. You also put down people you doesn't agree with or more importantly, your friends don't agree with, future or current.

+1 to damien, but -1 to the concept of anonymous comments via a proxy on staff applications. hiding behind other community members without a valid reason to avoid taking responsibility for one's words isn't something that should be encouraged.

+to clarify, i don't have a problem with anonymous comments in general. i just think allowing someone to anonymously make a hostile/accusatory response with no context prevents any form of productive discussion from taking place. if someone is going to give feedback anonymously, it should be constructive and not something vague that the staff member has to try to defend without any real idea of what they're defending.
(12-06-2022, 12:30 AM)Reina Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 09:25 PM)bryanbrr Wrote: This is an anonymous comment from a community member

-1 Your behavior over the past few months has only gotten worse. The most prevalent issue was being told you needed to learn to think for yourself and instead of trying to rectify it in any way, you wear those comments like it's a badge of honor. Someone that still can't think for himself, parades off his friends and disregards others opinions as troll behavior should not be given karma manipulation access whatsoever. On your own, you are actually more likely to karma ban someone with insufficient evidence or provoke them into getting themselves banned. You also put down people you doesn't agree with or more importantly, your friends don't agree with, future or current.

+1 to damien, but -1 to the concept of anonymous comments via a proxy on staff applications. hiding behind other community members without a valid reason to avoid taking responsibility for one's words isn't something that should be encouraged.
Considering alot of people get genuine hate for disagreeing with others opinion that the majority could be in favor are this seems like a wild thing to say that considering they are worried about the backlash they could face....

Im not on server much for the app so im neutral
[Image: 46713d688f8087b1f2d3b92a79d7afea.png]

Future owner  :D
(12-06-2022, 12:30 AM)Reina Wrote: +1 to damien, but -1 to the concept of anonymous comments via a proxy on staff applications. hiding behind other community members without a valid reason to avoid taking responsibility for one's words isn't something that should be encouraged.
Bad take honestly, you should know full well that certain clique behaviors can make it unappealing to speak against certain members of the community. Not accusing damien of this, but it's valid to want to leave criticism without making yourself a potential target.
[Image: p2tO5Im.png]
(12-06-2022, 01:12 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 12:30 AM)Reina Wrote: +1 to damien, but -1 to the concept of anonymous comments via a proxy on staff applications. hiding behind other community members without a valid reason to avoid taking responsibility for one's words isn't something that should be encouraged.
Bad take honestly, you should know full well that certain clique behaviors can make it unappealing to speak against certain members of the community. Not accusing damien of this, but it's valid to want to leave criticism without making yourself a potential target.
in my opinion, fear of harassment by a clique is valid, while fear of losing rep as a member of a clique is not valid.
i'll stop my responses here to avoid derailing damien's app. i just took issue with the hostility of the criticism and the way that the person making it was able to say it anonymously without needing to provide any context or evidence.
(12-06-2022, 12:30 AM)Reina Wrote:

The idea of an anonymous comment is them being afraid of receiving any form of backlash. What you’ve stated here is that whistleblowing is bad. They have a right to speak just the same as anyone else. People should feel safe to call out things they don’t like without being mobbed, and as long as whatever proof or context they have is given to the correct admins then it shouldn’t matter, we don’t need that to get an idea of what they are saying because proof is really easy to figure out who it is in question. If we got rid of anonymous comments people just won’t comment out of fear which is infinitely worse than having a post on their behalf. I don’t expect to change your mind but please understand that it isn’t to throw shade it’s to make people feel safe.
The local Sega & Sonic fanatic.
[Image: JCMB8GH.jpeg]
hi i think that as long as these anonymous comments have an actual basis in reality and contribute something of substance and isnt just this dogshit "i dont wanna lose meaningless internet points for my garbage take" that we've seen more and more of these past couple of months, they can work.

having someone post on your behalf because you fear backlash is okay. what isn't ok is abusing that system and just throwing shade in these comments because you know there will be 0 consequences for it

just my two cents
to clarify, i don't have a problem with anonymous comments in general. i just think allowing someone to anonymously make a hostile/accusatory response with no context prevents any form of productive discussion from taking place. if someone is going to give feedback anonymously, it should be constructive and not something vague that the staff member has to try to defend without any real idea of what they're defending. (just gonna edit my original post to include this)
wtf why is this thread from august!!?
[Image: p2tO5Im.png]
(12-06-2022, 03:19 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: wtf why is this thread from august!!?
Time travel
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Good Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020