Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Shut Up" Rule
Thank you for documenting this absolutely perfect PH moment.

Also, this thread has accomplished its purpose; I'd rather see PH staff state publicly why gagging someone for saying shut up occurs; from an outsider view looking in, it still doesn't really make much sense despite what you've said. I respect that there's logic behind it, but this is the internet after all. Compared to the rest of the servers (excluding murder because it's dead), PH seems to have a "no fun" element and is much more by the book compared to the other communities; TTT is obviously the complete opposite as usually staff have to try and restore balance to the chaos that is. 

Also, nobody since denied that PH is online daycare, I am convinced that I am right, and will continue to believe that until I'm proven that it is indeed a false argument.
Sure Salty, Ph does have a lot of rules that we enforce. And calling us a daycare may not be far off. We have a TON of literal children that play, not just the 13 and 14 years but also younger kids that see an old Markiplier or Terrorizor video and think hey I wanna try that.
I have parents hop on to tell me thanks for teaching their kid how to play and kept it fun for them.
It's the trolls (yes normally they are the ones that are 14-18) yelling at kids to shut up bc they like to use the mic. Or telling me to shut up bc I'm a female with authority on the server. 9 times out of 10 those trolls either keep telling people to shut up or they get real creepy and I won't allow that especially when there is a known child on.

Go ahead and be salty because you like to be get on and....well be your Salty self. I'll keep gagging you when you dont chill out when told. Deal with it or go to TTT.
[Image: drunk-possum.jpg]
MEEP.
STOP FUCKING PUSHING ME.

I don't play prophunt (shocking, I know) but I can tell you from years of playing on too many Gmod servers to count that this is the first time I've seen or heard of a rule like this. If you introduced this rule to the TTT community, they'd immediately find ways to circumvent it and/or try to get it abolished.

If you don't like what someone's saying, locally mute them! Oldest solution in the book. Unless someone is spewing actual vitriol, gagging someone who offended you (and only you) with a pretty common phrase is a pretty poor reflection of your character. And if "shut up" triggers you, voice_enable 0 might be the move.

Maybe I'm totally not understanding the inner-workings of a community I'm not a part of. But hey, it's online gaming; there are far worse things being said that either slip under the radar or that mods choose to ignore. Let's focus on that.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I think the others have already covered the justifications pretty well and I agree with them.

PH is not TTT. For the most part, that's a great thing and something I really enjoyed about the server when I used to admin on it. The players are almost always more friendly, more calm, and more young. When someone is being disrespectful or rude, that's more the exception, not the norm like we see on TTT. The culture on PH has been for at least several years one that values respect and treating players in a much kinder way than TTT. Again, a good thing.

You also made a daycare analogy. I'm not sure exactly why. If it is, then it is. If the server attracts a much younger player base than TTT, for example, then the staff SHOULD adjust their staffing methods accordingly. That just makes sense and is reflective of a good staff team and good staff guidelines. If a server has 10 children under the age of 14 on it, then the staff should gag the one person that is graphically describing a sexual encounter, for example. They should similarly gag someone picking on a child or female who has a higher-pitched voice. If that makes it a daycare, then so be it - embrace the idea and accept the values that it might encourage and teach.

Telling someone to "shut up" is, of course, disrespectful and rude. And if PH doesn't want a server with the rampant disrespect common on other servers, like TTT, then all the more power to them. The rule should definitely be left alone.
(10-25-2020, 10:33 AM)unfortunatepossum Wrote: I have parents hop on to tell me thanks for teaching their kid how to play and kept it fun for them.

Props to you for that; it's definitely something I would've wanted when I was starting playing at the crisp age of 12 but that didn't happen lmao

With all due respect, I still believe that the internet is a place that if you try being overbearingly strict on, it takes a whole aspect of the "fun" away; of course, I wouldn't really want it to go back to 2012 BO2 days where every time a young child talks on the mic "stfu, f slur." 

Personally, I use the internet as a way to just dumb myself down and just be an idiot, and there are many other players who do the same thing. The ones who take it too far are the ones who should be punished, I won't try arguing that; I just think round gags right off the bat are... a little extreme. From my experience, usually a temp gag of 30-90 seconds does the trick in most instances; with a round gag, it just puts in their mind "okay well I'm probably just gonna get banned anyways, might as well go all out." That might not be true, but most players would assume that if it's a round gag after a verbal warning that it's super easy and quick to get banned off so they want to do as much as possible before they can no longer play.

Just thought I'd actually explain this more logically since a majority of the people have done so.

(10-25-2020, 11:02 AM)Prince Nicky el Espeluznante Wrote: Telling someone to "shut up" is, of course, disrespectful and rude. And if PH doesn't want a server with the rampant disrespect common on other servers, like TTT, then all the more power to them. The rule should definitely be left alone.

Fair enough; this is simply an opinion/suggestion after all; if it's not something that's agreed with, that's fine.
Salty they probably warned you before hand if they gagged you for a round. If not then I do kinda agree that probably could of just been a shorter gag instead unless I’m missing something here and they warned you before hand.
?????????????????????????????????

EDIT: People are here to have fun and enjoy their time here, there's always a local mute if you get triggered, but telling someone to shut up if he's being a loudmouth and get gagged for disrespect is kinda silly.
[Image: 0e7d9b52b0a8da003d3bf791934a67c3.gif]

[Image: ngt65CF.gif]
Warnings are always given out by staff. It's the in regs. Round gags are a minimum. Spamming shut up or telling literally everyone to shut up when they kill you or troll you in return is a good way to get gagged.
And I just want to say if we take so much "fun" out of the game....why is Dinks ph one of the most popular and full servers? Yea we get tons of trolls but we also get lots of people that like to come on because of how we deal with them in a regulated manner and make it a fun and a liiiittle less toxic place to play. If you want to get all feisty and such, do it in a discord. It's pretty easy. Or you can use the !hop command to join another one of dinks servers.
[Image: drunk-possum.jpg]
MEEP.
STOP FUCKING PUSHING ME.

Basically what possum says does add up. If you are telling someone to shut up over and over in a very short period of time then you should probably be gagged for that since I’m pretty sure that can count as micspam/saying the same stuff over and over even after being given a warning to stop.
So you’re talking about us sucking the fun out of playing huh? 

So imagine you’ve just joined into the server for the first time and are learning how the game works and what you should be doing. You’re also excited to be able to talk to people and ask questions. 

Someone then decides that they don’t want to listen to you and tells you to shut up. 

You’re right that is definitely fun for them....... Dodgy

For the record we always warn and then act. We also tell people how to mute individual players. If they don’t listen to this and continue to speak to players like that then yes they will lose their chat/mic privileges. 

This is not TTT, we joke about the servers being different because they are! We do have fun and joke around but there is no need to disrespect each other to have fun. If you need to behave like that in order to have fun, PH is not the place for you. 

Pix  Heart
[Image: unknown.jpg]