Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addressing Communication: Staff and Players and Preventing Repeat Situations
I wasn’t made aware of the things he was doing until he already was banned for it. I was not messaged directly, or even recollect seeing anything in private chats ASIDE from his donor abuse. So I’d appreciate for this to not be pinned on current admins.
Now THIS is something that needs a community ban

Not 2019's "Addressing..." thread
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
*edit* im deleting this post because i no longer want to involve myself in the drama it might have brought on me, but leaving this little blurb so its clear that walrus is responding to something.
Tbh I had only heard about Captian prices behavior twice before his ban and burbs post. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that people like me and dong are not on the server 24/7 because of work and other obligations. The way this was handled was a mess. I stand by the fact that I thought captian was being targetted because he was. If that was in response to his behavior that is not ok. It is not up to random players to take up street justice on the server. But this situation should have been taken care of before that happened and I guess that falls on the staff team. No player should be harassed in any way and his behavior is not ok, nor should it be swept under the rug. just don't think the extent of it was communicated properly. I never to my knowledge witnessed any of this happening and I've played on the server multiple times when Captian and other players he harrassed were on. I guess I could've failed to notice it and if it did happen when I was on I apologize. Sorry if this post is formatted weird im on my phone.
(11-16-2020, 02:21 AM)thunderwalrusinnthebar Wrote: I never to my knowledge witnessed any of this happening and I've played on the server multiple times when Captian and other players he harassed were on.
Though I knew about the issue of the harassment towards select players I, like thunder, never witnessed it happening. I do understand how this has been miscommunicated among staff to take action, we should've just followed the guidelines for harassment and issued a week ban after your second warning on Nov 5. I do not blame any individual person for this but, I definitely believe that this entire situation could've been handled much better.
[Image: Bry-Donor-2.gif]
I had zero clue this was taking place prior to burb catching me up in dms because every time I played with price he was just an average player who didn't really do anything wrong in the presence of a staff member. I feel this is one particular instance is one that does not occur often so our current team didn't have the experience to handle something like this. I would like to apologize to anyone who had to deal with this longer than they did, I should have made myself more involved in the discussion prior to it becoming this big issue.
The goal of this thread is not to throw the blame on any particular group of staff members or to even focus on this one particular situation. That's not a helpful exercise. 

The goal of this thread is to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

The staff team here fucked up, and in a large part, that includes me. I recognize now that I should have ignored the guidance and banned this creep earlier than I did. But again, that's not the point. We need to focus on the future. We need to learn from this to make sure this doesn't happen again

Going Forward
- Less tolerance of creeps. Social awkwardness or a lack of social etiquette is not something we can just casually excuse. Harassing behavior or giving unwanted attention to players, especially females, is not something we can just attribute to someone being an "incel" or any other excuse. We allow a lot on our server, but there are is a basic requirement that every player must conform to - respecting other players. 
- A more avid use of the watchlist - whether that be actually reading it, searching player's names, or adding onto it with behavior your observe. 
- More communication between staff and admins. Admins are busy and apparently can't be bothered to read the watchlist or other channels in the staff Discord to keep themselves apprised of situations. A PM on Discord can perhaps ensure they are aware of deteriorating situations. Admins need to also better communicate with each other.
- More communication between players and staff - If we don't know about a situation, we can't help. Captain Price was known for sending private messages to players, besides just the targeting in voice chat. We can't see private messages. Please let a staff member know and take screenshots. 

Let something good come out of this whole mess, please. 

This requires everyone on the staff team to be on board.
I think with this specific instance and others Staff is trying to be very careful who is accused of being toxic, harassing, ...ect. This is obviously the result of previous issues between the staff team and players..... anyways It could have been handled better but it has now been handled I think mostly correctly. I am all for rushing to not community ban, but a temp ban or just a ban request should have been made much sooner to get everything lined out. In the future, ill do my best to either make the request or ask around if I see what could be a growing problem.
I think it should also be taken into account players that have a history on the server good or bad. If someone has built a good reputation build more evidence and communicate more, if someone has built a bad reputation and there is cause for a ban request... make it.
It is not okay to literally tell people their opinions are wrong because they disagree.
(11-16-2020, 11:33 AM)TDawg4 Wrote: In the future, ill do my best to either make the request or ask around if I see what could be a growing problem.
I think it should also be taken into account players that have a history on the server good or bad. If someone has built a good reputation build more evidence and communicate more, if someone has built a bad reputation and there is cause for a ban request... make it.

(11-16-2020, 10:11 AM)Battons Wrote: I would like to apologize to anyone who had to deal with this longer than they did, I should have made myself more involved in the discussion prior to it becoming this big issue.

These are the ideal responses. Recognizing the issue and promising to be more aware in the future.
The other issue I see is that it was mostly word against word until burb made a request. It is unfair of me as a staff member to do anything without evidence. Even though Burb is my friend it would be unfair of me to the server to take her word over another players. I think this is where communication needs to come in.