Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The state of the game
So, as far as I know, a vast majority of issues with this server is weird interactions with pointshop 2, which is unsupported.

A large reason for not going to a new system is that no one will keep their inventories. While I do concede that this is an entirely valid concern, I also have to wonder if it might not be better to bite the bullet now and move on, instead of constantly hoping that adding this one thing or changing this one other will not break everything. At the very least, this would allow us to have SOME plan in place to, if not counteract, then at a minimum mitigate the impact of this change, as we all know the current pointshop is a house of cards that will crumble if someone breaks wind in its general direction.

I do not mean to say that this server MUST move on, however we must ask if it is worth keeping our inventories in exchange for being unable to change ANYTHING without causing a daisychain of failures.
[Image: phzdad0ules31.jpg]
Do you have a system that could replace the current system?
[Image: xdjlve.png]
If this server is to stay running, we NEED a new system. Patching together old pieces of junk for 5 years is how you turn a bunch of small problems into one big catastrophic problem. You want to get a nice smooth transition over to something new BEFORE what you already have blows up and you get caught up in crunch time.

This being said.. there isn't a new product to switch to. There's Pointshop 1, which had it's own problems, particularly with how it stored it's data, but in general was much less complicated and could possibly be worked into a custom solution with the help of a developer. And then there's SH Pointshop, which looks very similar to Pointshop 1. SH Pointshop has not been updated in 2 years, Pointshop 1 hasn't been updated in 6 years.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
Might be worth testing out a new shop on the test server. I don't know though, I haven't really had any problems with Pointshop 2 on my side and don't personally understand the complaints I've read.

Could someone enlighten me about the complaints?
Just wanted to bring to light that one of the main things to consider is that some people have paid real money for some of the items in the current pointshop. I think that if you find a way to compensate for the money spent then a new pointshop would be considered. But to my small pea brain, trying to compensate for things like that seems extremely difficult.
(11-23-2020, 11:55 PM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote: Might be worth testing out a new shop on the test server. I don't know though, I haven't really had any problems with Pointshop 2 on my side and don't personally understand the complaints I've read.

Could someone enlighten me about the complaints?
Basically, we are one tiny code conflict away from everything breaking. A number of rather universally desired addons and features have been unable to be implemented because of issues with pointshop 2, and a lot have also had to be removed because of issues with their interaction with the highly tempermental pointshop 2.

The issue isn't the pointshop itself, it is the interactions it has with everything on the server.
I’m fully down for transitioning at a cost but, lowkey I want all my secret items that can only be obtained from chests. Some people have vapes and secret items and if we could someway give those to people again instead of their entire inventory Im down for the idea.
[Image: Bry-Donor-2.gif]
Is there a way to extract the PS2 database and just manually add items when players request, using old PS2 extracted database (or a screenshot) for verification? It'd be a lot of work initially to do every player manually, but it is a way to do it if no migration is possible. Albiet it'd be a ton of work for the admins... So idk.

I do agree that we need a way to extract the super rare stuff that people spend money on, nothing that isn't orange necessarily needs to be ported over. I'd say anything not legendary and not a vape or meme weapon is probably ok to lose
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
Honestly, you may be right, there is a also a chance one day that pointshop 2 might completely break anyway either through updates to the server or updates to the game. I don’t know anything about transferring items to another system so people can still have their items, maybe all items you could get from crates could be available to buy in the pointshop for a while maybe if we have to transfer and can’t get our items back. Points could probably be transferred over more easily I think but I’m not sure. I’m just spinning ideas here. Don’t know if the idea could work though, I’m just throwing it out there mainly because it would be nice to have a new pointshop.
(11-24-2020, 10:02 AM)Jammin Wrote: Is there a way to extract the PS2 database and just manually add items when players request, using old PS2 extracted database (or a screenshot) for verification? It'd be a lot of work initially to do every player manually, but it is a way to do it if no migration is possible. Albiet it'd be a ton of work for the admins... So idk.

I do agree that we need a way to extract the super rare stuff that people spend money on, nothing that isn't orange necessarily needs to be ported over. I'd say anything not legendary and not a vape or meme weapon is probably ok to lose

Anything that is crate-only. Like the VAL.

Edit: either give them manually, or give everyone the purple crate-onlys and only bother with the oranges.