Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
In Regards to the Source Engine leak.
For those who do not know, there was a huge leak in regards to the Source Engine. The Source code for Team Fortress 2 and Counter -Strike: Global Offense has leaked, and with has revealed tons of RCE Exploits. To put in simple terms, this is dangerous as it could allow Malicious Code to run.

It is HIGHLY advised that you do not play either games till a statement / update is released from Valve. I have no knowledge if this will effect Garry's Mod or not, but it should be known to those who play both or either Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: GO, or even Garry's Mod.

If you have any questions regarding the server rules or anything else, send me a forum PM.
Resigned TTT & Deathrun Admin.
[Image: 1199184.png]
People still play tf2? Lmao
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
TF2, HL:2 and Gmod are very, very similar, especially on the network side. Plug up those firewalls!
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(04-22-2020, 03:59 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: TF2, HL:2 and Gmod are very, very similar, especially on the network side. Plug up those firewalls!

From meepen (ex moat dev):

“Hey guys! If you didn't hear, some source code was leaked over last night. This source code includes HL2, CS:GO, CS:S, Portal, Portal 2, DoD:S and some Half-Life games
What does this mean for Garry's Mod? Is it still safe to play on Garry's Mod servers? The source code that was leaked was entirely owned by Valve, not Facepunch. As such only the base of the engine (TF2 and CS:S) were leaked. However just because they were leaked does not mean too much for Garry's Mod, as the source code for CS:S was leaked in 2007, and Garry's Mod has ran on the updated version of that engine for the entire time.
Just because source code was leaked for a game doesn't mean that all kinds of ways to get viruses open up, it just means people will find vulnerabilities easier without as much work or skill. With that said, the chance of someone finding a wormable exploit (like the cough virus long ago) is increased. This does not mean it will be used for nefarious purposes; especially this quickly. To find a wormable exploit means one thing, creating the worm is another.”
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(04-22-2020, 04:02 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 03:59 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: TF2, HL:2 and Gmod are very, very similar, especially on the network side. Plug up those firewalls!

“Hey guys! If you didn't hear, some source code was leaked over last night. This source code includes HL2, CS:GO, CS:S, Portal, Portal 2, DoD:S and some Half-Life games
What does this mean for Garry's Mod? Is it still safe to play on Garry's Mod servers? The source code that was leaked was entirely owned by Valve, not Facepunch. As such only the base of the engine (TF2 and CS:S) were leaked. However just because they were leaked does not mean too much for Garry's Mod, as the source code for CS:S was leaked in 2007, and Garry's Mod has ran on the updated version of that engine for the entire time.
Just because source code was leaked for a game doesn't mean that all kinds of ways to get viruses open up, it just means people will find vulnerabilities easier without as much work or skill. With that said, the chance of someone finding a wormable exploit (like the cough virus long ago) is increased. This does not mean it will be used for nefarious purposes; especially this quickly. To find a wormable exploit means one thing, creating the worm is another.”
This is 90% correct. Just because source code is leaked doesn't inherently mean anything running the Source engine is vulnerable. There is no difference in writing code for a closed source/open source project. Especially with how large Valve is and how common the Source Engine, they will go to extreme lengths to ensure the security of the engine.  Everyone here on a daily basis uses some elements of open source code every day without the threat of it being compromised.

I disagree with this guy's claim that you can now find a vulnerability without much work or skill; to find a vulnerability in something like this you need to understand what is going on in the code. Which cannot be done without significant skill.
(04-22-2020, 04:27 PM)Tedgp908 > Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 04:02 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:

This is 90% correct. Just because source code is leaked doesn't inherently mean anything running the Source engine is vulnerable. There is no difference in writing code for a closed source/open source project. Especially with how large Valve is and how common the Source Engine, they will go to extreme lengths to ensure the security of the engine.  Everyone here on a daily basis uses some elements of open source code every day without the threat of it being compromised.

I disagree with this guy's claim that you can now find a vulnerability without much work or skill; to find a vulnerability in something like this you need to understand what is going on in the code. Which cannot be done without significant skill.

Ted for server administrator
From Steam Database:

https://gyazo.com/4fd154e369c99df70837e168e4bc31ef

Steam Database & CS:GO:

https://gyazo.com/f49a50f8fce9701425af615dae3ab852
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
Just gonna drop csgo and tf2's official twitter who have both said basically the same thing
CSGO

TF2
i made a thing
i made another thing
i made a new thing

former ttt mod
former dr admin
Staff 2017-2023
I guess people who didn't know about this have probably got their pcs damaged so good luck for those people who were unable to know about this from reddit.
[Image: latest?cb=20171003155620]
[Image: giphy.gif]
COON AND FRIENDS TEAM UP WITH FREEDOM PALS!

"Inspiration comes from within yourself. One has to be positive. When you're positive, good things happen."
- Deep Roy