Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Perspective on Permanent Bans
(06-18-2020, 07:39 AM)Foxka oops Wrote: I think this is an unfair perspective seeing that as around 80% of mass rdm are caused by people who dont know the rules/are new to the game

That is why you should read the rules the moment you join a new server. Though I completely understand your point for new players though. If their intentions are not malicious (example being: Mass RDMing, and putting "alshdlakfhlsah;f," in the Response Forum, Trolling,Etc), I think it would be acceptable to give them slays and have Staff remind them to read the rules, or ask questions.

However, if you're someone that has been here long enough to know the rules, I don't think you should be given that treatment (unless it was obviously Accidental). Do I think the Duration of the Ban needs to be touched? No. But do I think there needs to be a revision of some sort to guarantee newer players don't get immediately banned, so long as their intentions are clearly not to minge? Absolutely.

The Mass RDM rule isn't that hard to follow, unless you're clearly new and don't know better. Having the duration where it's at, ensures we keep the people that don't want to play the game properly out. Which may or may not be Trolls. There are plenty of TTT communities out there that use the same Duration for Mass RDM, and have no reason to change it.

tl;dr I don't think the duration needs to be changed. But like Foxka mentioned, there should be a revision of sorts (maybe via Staff Punishment Guidelines) to guarantee newer players are informed before they are banned via their 1st offense.

Maybe there's something like this already written in the punishment guidelines, I haven't looked at it in quire awhile. But those are my thoughts.
If you have any questions regarding the server rules or anything else, send me a forum PM.
Resigned TTT & Deathrun Admin.
[Image: 1199184.png]
I'll throw my two cents in since this is in general discussion even though it appears to be mainly focused on by TTT.

Most of the bans, at least I believe on the PH side of things, are overall fair.

Hacking/DDOS is an immediate permanent ban.

Ghosting, probably the closest thing PH has to TTT's mass RDM, we swap them to the same team. If they start ghosting again later, they are banned for 2 weeks. If they are persistent and ghost after that, it is then a permanent ban. That's at least a couple of chances to stop ghosting and they are in the power to stop anytime they wish before that time, and have enough time to realize that ghosting is not okay. Most ghosting is done in a discord voice chat or some other familiar course of action so they know that they are giving themselves an unfair advantage.

Racism/Harassment is taken in a by case basis. I can guarantee that some people who should have been banned have snuck through because of this but different people handle different scenarios and as long as a basic step process is followed, I let staff handle these issues at their own discretion, unless it is blatant and they are not doing anything about it.

Trolling is the major issue that PH has had on how to handle bans on. Some trolling is good, fun and done in a joke for everyone and should not get punished. Lately however, it is to see how big of jerk they can be to staff and the players on the server at a much higher rate than usual. Basically they are just seeing how big of an asshole they can be while still having fun with their friends or other players, who generally are not regulars or staff, agree with them. You should have seen how salty and trollish the server got last night when another staff member and I caught ten people in three different groups ghosting with it somehow being my fault. Some staff/players would just like to see them gone forever and some trolling does warrant such ban. The message I try to get across is not EVERY case of trolling needs to result in a permanent ban. Some bans just need to be a few days, maybe a couple weeks, or maybe up to a month depending on the case of trolling.

Permanent bans are an easy solution to many problems for people trying to ruin the game by cheating or by just being an asshole with their asshole friends, but that does not mean it is the best solution for every scenario. With TTT's mass RDM issue that I see constantly in the discord/forums, you could try something different for a few months. If it does not work well, you can always switch back to the original method that you currently use. Just make sure staff are on the same page when switching.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army