Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Perspective on Permanent Bans
All of the servers on this network use permanent bans as a very common form of punishment: hacking, mass RDM, trolling, harassment, or just to get that person off of the server after they've continually caused problems. While I believe that banning people is a necessary part of keeping troublemakers off of the server, I believe that the permanent ban as a punishment is used far too often when compared to any other length of ban. I used to think differently, and would look at someone deliberately causing problems and think "He's just here to ruin everyone's day. Why would we EVER let him back here when he clearly doesn't care?", and I think a lot of other people that manage bans think the same way.

I want you to understand my perspective on this: A permanent ban is PERMANENT unless appealed. When you permaban a player, that player will NEVER, EVER get to join the game again on that account unless they find this forum, apologize, wait a few days and wait for everyone to judge them, and then they can rejoin. While MAKING the player appeal and apologize for their actions if they want to rejoin the server is a good approach for major infractions such as player harassment, many infractions that we permaban for don't call for this at all.

To reiterate, permanent bans are PERMANENT. Why though? I think it would be much better to have very long temporary bans (multiple months or a year) instead of permanently banning players for infractions such as ghosting, hacking and RDM. Realistically, a player who waited multiple months to rejoin will most likely not only not remember their ban, but have a drastic change in behavior. People change over time, they don't come back as the same exact person as when you banned them. You have to think, maybe that guy that mass RDM'd didn't really care what he was doing, or he saw someone else do it on Youtube and thought it was funny, and after six months, he probably didn't remember or really care about that microscopic detail that he killed three people on a garry's mod server, and grew out of it.

Obviously things like player harassment would be kept at permanent bans, or a long list of repeated offenses where we would actually want a reason and an apology when they return after doing it, but killing 3 people in a row in a first person shooter should not be as harsh of a ban as it is currently.
(yes, this thread is mostly about mass RDM bans, but the concept still applies. Just food for thought)

TL;DR, we permanently ban people for really dumb stuff sometimes, when a longer temporary ban would have sent the same message and meant that player would be able to physically return to the server after their punishment, even if it was a year later.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
Thank you for the TL;DR, next thread you need to make is about how people should not have responses to threads take for ever to scroll down through.
(06-17-2020, 08:03 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: wait a few days and wait for everyone to judge them

not to mention how ezpz it is to just publicly lynch someone for appealing no matter what they say lol, this community discourages appeals more than any other community i've seen
[Image: d93.png]
(06-17-2020, 08:19 PM)wicked e-girl temptress Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 08:03 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: wait a few days and wait for everyone to judge them

not to mention how ezpz it is to just publicly lynch someone for appealing no matter what they say lol, this community discourages appeals more than any other community i've seen

great for rep farming tho
CEO of rep
(06-17-2020, 08:20 PM)Laced Xanax Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 08:19 PM)wicked e-girl temptress Wrote:

great for rep farming tho

me when the pretty green number go up!!!!
[Image: d93.png]
The only thing I agree with here is that mass rdm should be like maybe 2 weeks at most, it goes from 1 day to 2 days to permanent bans and that's a lil weird
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
Only thing that should be reserved for permabans is hacking/ghosting/ very mean harassment.

Everything else should be temp. When I see people getting permabanned for killing 3 people in a video game but then I see some group of dipshits intentionally ruining the entire game by ghosting and only get a few week bans, I begun to really question the rules on this server.

Edit: with that said, repeat offender's are obviously a different situation, if you got some dumbass who mass rdms, gets banned, comes back, does it again repeatedly, the rules are clearly to be adjusted based off repeat offense.
[Image: 76561197993157530.png]
Way I see it, if you do something that causes a permanent ban, you’ve come to deserve the appeal process. You can look at a lot of unban requests and see people will genuinely believe and accept people back if they think they’ve changed, but if someone got banned for doing something to ruin someone’s day, and then makes an unban with a seemingly apathetic (Or worse) attitude about it, then they’re likely just the same asshole trying to ruin someone’s day. I understand shitposty trolling, but people who solely try to make people upset and ruin someone’s hobbies will get no sympathy from me.

Edit: a point brought up while I was typing this was mass, I agree that mass rdm, or a perm ban for it should probably be more than 3 people. Hell you could accidentally hit 3 people trying to shoot 1 guy in a crowd and you’re gone for good for attempted mass.
[Image: Sy6406Z.png]
(06-17-2020, 09:11 PM)MilkManFromMars Wrote: Edit: a point brought up while I was typing this was mass, I agree that mass rdm, or a perm ban for it should probably be more than 3 people. Hell you could accidentally hit 3 people trying to shoot 1 guy in a crowd and you’re gone for good for attempted mass.

Don't know if something changed since I staffed but we used to handle mass case-by-case, actually looking to see if it was accidental and/or careless. If that were the case, and the person isn't causing other problems, they'd get off with 3+ slays.