Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Amount of Staff Flaming and Generalized Tomfoolery
(10-05-2020, 11:48 PM)The Triangle Wrote: Upon deciding to join the staff team the thought never crossed my mind that everyone would respect me and fellow staff members, nor the idea that we would be liked by all.

This. Having to shut down what people do in not only game servers, but real life as well, is a necessary evil. I want people to be able to have fun the way they want to have fun, and if everyone just got along and respected each other, we wouldn't need moderators. That's not possible though, so you have to draft volunteers to enforce a four page rule list just so people aren't being complete assholes to each other.

People seem to have the impression that staff only exist to mess with people and ruin everyone's fun. They don't. I don't want to have someone messaging me that someone is spamming the N word and I need to roll out of bed and do something about it, I don't want someone to join the server and have someone flip their dollar store hacked client all the way up and completely ruin a round, and I don't want to open a new thread and think about how to diffuse 30 different people spewing all kinds of garbage on some poor mans unban thread. If staff didn't do that though, this entire community would be an unsalvageable mess full of trolls that only give basic respect to the people they play Rainbow Six with. Nobody wants that.

Edit: You all watched the first presidential debate right? They both wouldn't stop screaming over each other long enough to say anything meaningful? In an ideal debate, that moderator shouldn't be there. But ideal scenarios aren't a thing, so they have to drag a poor guy in to shut them up and keep the debate rolling along. Same applies here.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
haha yeah i remember banning plenty of people for staff disrespect because they were just being plain ole assholes, they got week bans and either didnt show up or came back and fixed their attitudes.

on the other hand, ASAB isn't something you should feel so incredibly upset about. That's why people think staff have a superiority complex, which makes them troll around even more.
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
Actually it’s not really just the asab as well. I been hearing certain players calling staff assholes and other names. I’m pretty sure that type of stuff can be considered disrespect too.
(10-06-2020, 10:34 AM)JesseTheUndeadCowboy Wrote: Actually it’s not really just the asab as well. I been hearing certain players calling staff assholes and other names. I’m pretty sure that type of stuff can be considered disrespect too.

It absolutely is. Just because someone disagrees with a staff decision, doesn't mean they have a right to treat us like we're garbage.
No matter what staff will always be bashed. It used to be people hating on the admins, to the admins having "power" stripped from them, then to them hating the whole staff team. ASAB is a dumb meme made out of a real-life issue as well.

The disconnect from what I've seen is because non-staff feel inclined to be let in on things that don't involve them. For example what happens in our staff discord, that doesn't need to be public knowledge, but people are still finding a way to complain about that. I will say right now that they don't need to know everything we do behind the scenes. The general public is made aware of everything that they should be already. They also hold an important role with applications and appeals to offer different insight.

People also fail to realize this is all voluntary work, we gain nothing out of this besides helping the server. I'm here to make the server a better place and if that means I have to ban whoever or have someone hate me I don't really care.

Also feel like another issue is that staff are so used to being bashed for no real reason they'd be afraid to hand out any sort of legitimate punishment in fear of even more backlash. And I'll go ahead and say right now the fact that my staff team gets this much hate is ridiculous. This is the least toxic and most down to earth one I have been part of, sure they have room to improve because we all do, but they aren't malicious about anything. That pisses me off.

And before someone wants to argue anything I said... I have staffed this TTT server in particular for nearly 2 years I know how it works.
[Image: image0.png]
2x TTT Admin
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers
I just loved being a regular member of the community but after I applied people switched up real quickly
i made a thing
i made another thing
i made a new thing

former ttt mod
former dr admin
Staff 2017-2023
Just like with player harassment (unless it's obvious), this really boils down to whether or not the individual is taking offense with the comments. A lot of players joke around with each other with play insults and that's not an issue unless someone is actually offended (and generally they should let the staff know of such offense). At this point, a staff member is expected to step in and resolve the issue. There are, of course, times when a staff member should step in even without being notified directly when it's obvious that someone isn't playing in jest.

This really seems to be the same situation here with the alleged staff disrespect. I get the "ASAB," "Prince nikki is the worst mod ever," and "ungag me you turd burglar," just like everyone else, I'm sure. I don't take offense from these insults which come across as jokes and not seriously meant. So I'll either just ignore those comments or just play back with the person/people who say such things. It's really not a big deal.

Of course there are individuals who might actually mean the insults they direct at staff, or at least mean them in the moment. And that is a different story. If I am told to "ungag me asshole," or worse, I am naturally less likely to bid as commanded. While I don't personally punish for such nastiness (which is usually spurred by a punishment for a different offense), I will consciously take longer to ungag/unmute. As I learned in Sunday school, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." While I don't expect staff members to act downright nasty in response to insults, it should come as no surprise that staff members are not going to act too kindly towards their abusers. 

So really it comes down to whether you take offense or not, and the key is to try and avoid being too sensitive. This is an online game and at the end of the day, any insult lodged at you fades away within minutes of signing off (or at least it should).

Anyways, I don't think any bright-line rules or attempt at a solution is going to work. In my opinion, this is generally an individual problem and requires solutions on the individual level.
(10-05-2020, 11:48 PM)The Triangle Wrote: I pose no resolution because you can't please everyone and this is the internet.

Can be almost perfectly summed up by this statement. As almost all staff have also pointed out in this thread, a responsibility and expectation with the role of being staff is engaging in conflict regularly, whether that be dealing with trolls or people who disagree with their slay. Nobody LIKES to put up with this, obviously, but it comes with the territory and I think most if not all staff are well aware of this and therefore aren't exactly surprised by it. I will say, being someone who has regularly been in this position, that sometimes it does start to wear on you and bother you. In those cases it's really up to the staff member to deal with that appropriately, whether that be by taking a break from the server when that feeling occurs, or by taking an extended period of time away from Dink's. I think not all staff come into their position(s) with this in mind, or if they do, it never really happens the way they expect. Either they believe that their feelings are warranted (not to say they aren't, but this can become a slippery slope from personal experience) and therefore shouldn't be addressed within themselves; or "take a break", but not an actual break. In some cases, staff must be able to draw that line, where they have to put their foot down and say when someone is going too far. Knowing when to do this, and how to do it effectively, is a skill.

It's honestly up to the staff to have confidence in their decisions, but also to maintain good judgement as staff. It's also up to staff to keep each other in check, and ensure that while they are backing up fellow staff when it comes to trolls, they're also making sure that those staff members are in a good place and making good decisions. Trolls will always be in Garry's Mod, and they will always troll. I don't think staff are necessarily doing anything wrong or a poor job, but I think that a lot of this does boil down to the staff and their ability to mediate these things.

Of course this doesn't address these issues with regulars and the ASAB stuff as well. I don't have enough insight to comment on that honestly. It just shouldn't be happening.
[Image: d93.png]
Agreed, I'm surprised that punishments for staff respect isn't enforced more intensely. Plenty of Guests come on the server and just create a plethora of issues for staff, and just hurl insults at staff.

(10-06-2020, 11:59 AM)dong Wrote: No matter what staff will always be bashed. It used to be people hating on the admins, to the admins having "power" stripped from them, then to them hating the whole staff team. ASAB is a dumb meme made out of a real-life issue as well.

The disconnect from what I've seen is because non-staff feel inclined to be let in on things that don't involve them. For example what happens in our staff discord, that doesn't need to be public knowledge, but people are still finding a way to complain about that. I will say right now that they don't need to know everything we do behind the scenes. The general public is made aware of everything that they should be already. They also hold an important role with applications and appeals to offer different insight.

People also fail to realize this is all voluntary work, we gain nothing out of this besides helping the server. I'm here to make the server a better place and if that means I have to ban whoever or have someone hate me I don't really care.

Also feel like another issue is that staff are so used to being bashed for no real reason they'd be afraid to hand out any sort of legitimate punishment in fear of even more backlash. And I'll go ahead and say right now the fact that my staff team gets this much hate is ridiculous. This is the least toxic and most down to earth one I have been part of, sure they have room to improve because we all do, but they aren't malicious about anything. That pisses me off.

And before someone wants to argue anything I said... I have staffed this TTT server in particular for nearly 2 years I know how it works.
Apart from the ASAB stuff, which is honestly just a meme at this point, I completely agree with said statement. I feel like many of the staff just get walked over, which is sad because I think most of you guys are really cool/nice people.
[img][Image: bAal77J.gif]
Its funny because most of the people that yell asab and talk badly about staff are also the first people to run to staff when something happens that they don't like.