Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Shut Up" Rule
I don't remember making a strict Silence rule....for Prop hunt...

Ever heard of the Golden Rule of Respect others the way you be treat?

Might apply to school, it might apply for work, why not does it also apply to Gaming?

Like Bruh, we are not making a meme of comparing rules for TTT and PH

If you want to play the game mode then go ahead, acting a troll you be handle like one.

I want to play mostly, but I can't when there 3-8 people spamming voice chat yelling at each other or calling out whining of this player ghosting or hacking Cartman noises.

If you want to hear the mic spam then go ahead if not just hit the tab button, click their name, and mute them on your own side not that hard.

Bringing in another topic suggestion when this one is focusing on mic spam, isn't really needed as other said....it not the main focus on this post.

(Models are selected from model being able to be fair and appropriate to the age audience of players, if a Kid seen a Kimono skin or the Coconut skin, they wont go to weird boob ladies, they go ah pretty women...…)

Regardless, There is no Shut up rule, that is one opinion rule to stir the pot over here when there still stuff happening on other game modes that it self needed to be address.

Mic spam is Mic spam, Will you play if all the people are scream bloody murder on top of their lungs while you just sitting there suffering from hearing loss and take it with your headset? or Will you on your own side mute them and just ignore and play the game?

The choice is yours,

Also that comment of Gagging someone for power, That quite a foolish thought.....
if you, yourself run a server with only you having the controls and you allowing mic spams of anything to continue, you will also be annoyed by it, who can handle at a long time of people screaming at a rock concert level of shut up or the n-word or other constant swearing in rage people?

Rules are there to allow people to have a good time of gameplay and not to dance and make yourself the fool about it.

Don't compare TTT rules to PH rules,
It like comparing Russia and the United States as the exact same country in a bland wide view.....

This "suggestion" is quite getting out of hand as of late....

So Salty do you want to suggest a change to the mic/ chat spamming rule or do you want to make a shut up rule?
[Image: sukuna-evil-laugh.gif]
[Image: YWj4Wn.gif]
So, as we all know PH and TTT are separate - so I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

The good ol' shut up rule on PH. Yes, its kind of a dumb rule considering we try to keep the server PG as best as possible and allow other things to slide. That being said, the shut up rule is literally basic ass respect. If you cannot physically/mentally understand that, then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

Muting other players: not everyone is going to do this, why? Trolling, being a little shit, stirring the shitpot, etc. Do you know how many fuckin times we say in a round "If you don't want to hear someone, you can mute them"? Too fucking many. People don't want to go out of their way to mute someone, so we have to implement it so the server doesn't become overwhelmingly toxic for others playing.

I totally hear both sides of the argument on the rule - I really do, some days I think its fucking stupid and I feel like I am babysitting and others shit hits the fan and I have to gag/mute players to keep others happy and the environment safe for everyone playing.
Go away
lol

Okay, I wanna put my two cents in because I played PH like a handful of times, even as a PH Moderator, so I am more than qualified to comment on this.

From an outsider's perspective, the "Shut-Up Rule", as it has now been dubbed, is stupid. Point blank period. It just is. With that being said, I do understand where everyone is coming from about it being a matter of respect rather than the words themselves. Every situation, I'm sure, is handled very differently depending on a lot of things. Many people, including myself, have made fun of the PH community for having such a silly rule. I mean, you tell someone to shut up and you get gagged, it's reminiscent of how I thought the word 'Butt' was a swear word. I feel like this thread has gone completely off the rails due to a few reasons. For one, the people that want the rule to be changed came at it in such an aggressive way that there was a small chance of anyone actually reading what was stated. For two, you've got people who have been on PH for years and they are too stuck in their ways to change anything, because why would you want to. If something's not broken, don't fix it. It's kind of like the knife thread that gets brought up every few months on TTT.

Either way, I kinda just wanted to give another opinion that way I could say I posted on the Dinkleberg G-Mod forums today. I had fun reading through it all tho. Oh, and my feelings on the rule change or whatever, I'm indifferent.
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
I'd like to remind people that we don't have a "shut up" rule. We have a "Respect everyone" rule. Telling someone to "shut up" is the more disrespectful way of telling someone to chill out or calm down. It's not that it just works. It's literally part of how we have interpreted the rules. I've never known a situation in life where telling someone to shut up wasn't ever rude or disrespectful unless it's done playfully, of which we don't punish for.
[Image: b_560x95.png][Image: clapclub.jpg?width=1202&height=519]
Okay, so I have a LOTTTT to work with in terms of responses, so let me get started MY RESPONSES WILL BE IN RED.

"You really went out of your way to move this out of shitposting?" ~Fish

Yes, I did. The reason why is because it was initially a joke to just troll PH staff, but then I realized I actually believe it's a rule that I disagree with; despite that, I still see the logic behind why it exists. Could I have reworded it to make it less of a shitpost? Yes, but I was lazy and didn't want to.  My apologies.

Warnings are always given out by staff. It's the in regs. Round gags are a minimum. Spamming shut up or telling literally everyone to shut up when they kill you or troll you in return is a good way to get gagged. And I just want to say if we take so much "fun" out of the game....why is Dinks ph one of the most popular and full servers? ~Possum

For starters, I never once said anything about warns never being given out, that's you implying and creating something that isn't there. Secondly, as I stated before, I believe that the minimum of a round is over the top and extreme. Finally, when I say that "fun" is taken out, I am referring to the kind of online culture that I was brought up on. When I am dealing with a more "sensitive" (for a lack of a better term) environment, I feel as if I cannot be myself when I play a game; consequently, it takes the fun out for me. I hope that makes sense; don't get me wrong, I completely understand and respect where you're coming from, but I am stating why I disagree with what you are saying.

So imagine you’ve just joined into the server for the first time and are learning how the game works and what you should be doing. You’re also excited to be able to talk to people and ask questions. 
Someone then decides that they don’t want to listen to you and tells you to shut up. 
[b]You’re right that is definitely fun for them....... [Image: dodgy.png] ~Pixie[/b]

Of course that isn't fun; however, let me iterate another scenario to you. Imagine you get some toxic guy on, and no staff are there. Somebody starts roasting the toxic guy, and then bunch of people join in; the toxic guy leaves because he gets bombarded for being a shithead. Now THAT's fun because you're having fun at someone's expense who is trying to be a prick. Of course, that isn't PH culture at all, but I'm stating this because there are always different ways to approach the same issue. Street Justice is one way, calling staff on is another. Again, all I was trying to do is suggest that gagging someone for an entire round over telling someone to shut up is over the top.

It's established by both sides that PH is very different than TTT, just cause TTT has this way of functioning doesn't mean everything that makes TTT fun will work on the other servers because it's not the same thing. Salty you come from TTT so the way you have fun there will be different on PH. Thinking that your way of fun is being hindered by this simple rule of just being respectful to players is very closed minded. My simple advice is suck it up buttercup because that's how things are and it works. ~Abdel

Out of everything that has been stated so far, this one is by far the least professional and most emotionally fueled. I'd expect better from someone who is a Moderator. Where did I ever say that PH should operate like TTT? That's a lot to dig from me simply giving a suggestion on how to do gags, as I never once stated TTT in that comment. I simply said how I DO GAGS, and why I believe round gags are excessive. Second, it's quite hypocritical for you to tell me to suck it up and say I am closed-minded, because you are not only disrespecting my opinion, but also being disrespectful to me as a person. I don't like double standards and that's what you're showing me right now. For the most part (minus shitposting) it seems that most people here have come to a conclusion as to why they think the way they do. I've been extremely respectful of the people who have criticized my opinions, and it's disappointing to see you type up such an emotionally fueled tirade telling me to "suck it up," when I am merely giving a suggestion/input on a rule that you all have set up. That's being closed minded, what I have done is not nearly as an egregious offense. I am simply stated that I don't agree with the rule, but I respect that there's logic behind it. If you cannot be professional with input like you do on your staff/unban apps, I don't need nor want to hear what you have to say because I will not take it seriously. 

There's no reason why Happy can't make the point that you shouldn't be trying to make the server child friendly while having not-so-child friendly models. I'm sure you didn't mean for it to come off this way, but it just seems like you're trying to shut down his opinion because you disagree with it. If anybody else said something like this they'd be ripped apart by the entire staff team for being toxic. ~Laced
AND

Essentially, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to say you're a PG server, be PG in all regards. If you want to get rid of that idea, don't pretend you are and let people defend themselves when necessary. ~Rand

You and Laced nailed it on the coffin, Rand. These were things that I wanted to say while I was at work, but you two beat me to it. You cannot simply make a case stating that you are PG, yet have suggestive anime models and expect me to take your argument seriously. Either keep it all PG, or get rid of the so called "PG" effect you have going on with voice chat rules. 

So Salty do you want to suggest a change to the mic/ chat spamming rule or do you want to make a shut up rule? ~Ryuji

This is an excellent question, and here's I have 2 answers: 
1. I want a change to the mic spam rule; chat spam can stay the same for all I care, but here's my input on the micspam rule. Round gag after one warning is over the top, and should only happen if they immediately start micspamming after being gagged briefly and ungagged. Sure, you can argue the round gag works, but it has its fair share of problems, too. If somebody is round gagged when they're not intentionally trying to micspam or troll, it might influence them to troll to "piss off the staff." That's why I believe  a Temp gag after a warn (30-90 seconds tops)  can solve micspam issues more efficiently than just immediately jumping to a round gag after a warning. Of course, I mean if something works, why change it; however, what you might find out is that the change might bring more good than harm. 

2. Tying in "Shut Up" with disrespect is ridiculous at its worst, sensitive at its best. I understand that the PH culture is significantly different from the rest of the servers, but making PH an "online safe space" is a really good way to just attract more trolls. 

The good ol' shut up rule on PH. Yes, its kind of a dumb rule considering we try to keep the server PG as best as possible and allow other things to slide. That being said, the shut up rule is literally basic ass respect. If you cannot physically/mentally understand that, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. ~Pauling

My issue is not understanding that saying "shut up" is disrespectful; the problem is I believe it is too sensitive. I'm going to quote someone who was talking to me about this in DM's real quick: "You can't make an online place a safe space or people go there to actively look to cause trouble." In other words, making PH a safe place where it's not acceptable to say things like "shut up" garners a much higher rate of trolls, and here's why. Trolls look for reactions (duh) and what better place to go to than a place where it literally isn't allowed to tell someone to "shut up?" If I were an outsider who never played on a dinkleberg server, I would say "that's the one to troll. Everyone on there is going to be a sensitive bitch and it'll be so easy to warrant reactions." Trolls will go anywhere obviously, but they will always go for the easiest targets. Someone who's done it for a while will know who they can and cannot mess with easily and it really doesn't take much effort to troll. This is coming from someone who grew up trolling all the time back in the days of Call of Duty, so I do know what I'm talking about. The more sensitive a group is, the better for a troll and worse for the group. I hope you understand my logic behind this, and I respect that you can see both sides with an open mind.

I've never known a situation in life where telling someone to shut up wasn't ever rude or disrespectful unless it's done playfully, of which we don't punish for. ~Travis

I can give you one: B0t had joined the server, and I was jokingly telling him to shut up; I was warned, said that I was joking with him AND he himself was cool with it, and then I did it again later and was gagged, and most likely put on the watchlist for it. 
Lots of these replies are implying that someone says 'Shut up' and gets gagged straight away, that is not the case. It is entirely dependent on the situation and the intent behind what was said, also who it is directed at. It is also not a 'rule', it is included and mentioned within a rule to give an example of disrespect. 

[Image: rule_11.png]

This whole thing has got blown way out of proportion. The post was started by someone who was not happy about being gagged themselves and now we have people who are not involved in PH jumping on the bandwagon about how we run the server. 

The rules are there for a reason, they are carried out as fairly as possible. I have seen no reason in this whole thread for them to change. 

Each server runs differently and the rules were written with that server in mind. Rules do not get changed because a few people find them inconvenient.

@Salty I do however understand that it may seem very different to what you are used to on other servers. Personally I only gag people for it if there is a rude intent behind it, not when its friends joking around.
[Image: unknown.jpg]
Please note that this is addressing the thread as a whole and Salty's latest comment.

A lot of things have been said here, some of them obviously good and some of them obviously bad. I recommend a slight change in vocabulary to maybe alter the perspective but still get across what others have been trying to say. I believe PH tries to hold people to a standard, a standard which would probably be considered very high on the internet. Am I stuck in some of my ways on how things should be handled? Yes, I have no doubt in mind, which is why I have tried surrounding myself with other staff members who will call me out if I am in the wrong or if they have an idea they would like looked into. That results from how I was raised but also how the server and staff team was when I got here. The staff team after the great departure was toxic and sometimes cut throat at certain times. I mainly just kept my head down and people seemed to either not notice me or be okay with it. The staff team have their moments but compared to where it was, I believe it to be much less toxic than what it used to be and I try to hold all the staff to a high standard so that we do not slowly sink back into those times which has then gotten reflected on the server.

I do not like the term PG because as others had pointed out with models and other things like certain names, profile pictures, the term nigga as well as various curse words and sayings (which would not be allowed in things that are "PG". I think PG started off as a joke that others took into reality. I believe we try to hold people to the level pf being respectful to others and if that makes a "safe space" than so be it. I do not remember the last time I have banned someone specifically for trolling. Most of the people I ban are cheaters, hackers, racists, attempted server crashers, and sexual harassers. Quite a few things we let slide unless they are out right offensive like player names and profile pictures, many of which we do not act upon unless someone brings up and has an issue with it. With trolls the maximum I get is a map gag and that is it because they either leave or have the situation defused completely or from toxic trolling to good fun trolling. This includes the "shut up" rule. About half the time unless someone says something about it, I let it slide unless they are being complete assholes about it. Which even then I just have to ask them to stop and that is the end of it 95% of the time without a gag or mute command even considered.

If you want a change in the mic spam or player disrespect rule, we can discuss that if you so wish. I do wish that if you wanted this to be taken seriously that you would have either remade the thread completely or done some heavy revisions because at least half if not more of this thread's problems could have been avoided. I also wish that the majority of this discussion was brought up and discussed by those who play PH at least occasionally and not by several who play very little if at all. The reasoning for that is because that you have people without the context of the situation and only the context they choose to see or are shown rather than the context experienced. Quite a bit of this arguing was from people coming in already seeing something that they already do not like but do not experience. TTT, PH, DR, and Murder are all very different creatures of this community and the experiences of them are drastically different. For example, I have never stepped foot on TTT because I am just not a fan of the game even when I played it with friends. I am not going to go in and tell them how to run the server or changes I want in their policy when someone I am friends with or like posts something against said normal policy (or at least I am not going to try to).

Possible change to mic spam rule: unless blatantly rude or being an asshole, staff could from now on ignore people telling others to shut up. It would not change much with the staff and players who have played PH for some time but it could help the newer staff from hearing someone saying "shut up" and thinking "shut up = bad". People obviously should not be immediately gagging for this if that has been happening without me noticing. I believe this is what happened to you Salty and where this thread came into fruition nearly a week after the even occurred.

I am sorry that this answer/comment is long winded. I try covering everything as much as I can because Travis and others like coming in and saying "but what if this 1 in 10,000 thing happens?". I was also trying to provide context of my entire thought process and I enjoy writing every now and then so it just happens. PH will continue holding players to a higher standard than TTT due to player base and how the servers are set up. TTT likes running how it is, from the outside, rather chaotic because chaos is part of how that game works. Without out, TTT would not exist as a gamemode.

Let me know on all of your thoughts on this possible slight rule altering and other guideline/server changes that you all may be interested in.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
Like I said earlier I do feel it’s all been blown out of proportion by people who do not experience the server on a regular basis. Staff as a whole do not go around gagging people because they said something disrespectful (including shut up  Rolleyes) once, it’s when people are repeatedly being disrespectful towards others that punishment begins. 

If players are finding that staff members are being too harsh please report it back to Fish, myself or one of the other mods. 

Overall I don’t think much needs to change, unless there have been issues with staff jumping too quick that I am not aware of.
Is this a suggestion or a complaint. Offering a solution while providing an effecting result gets a lot more done than saying i got punished and it sucks so change it.
The local Sega & Sonic fanatic.
[Image: JCMB8GH.jpeg]
(10-25-2020, 08:20 PM)Battons Wrote: Is this a suggestion or a complaint. Offering a solution while providing an effecting result gets a lot more done than saying i got punished and it sucks so change it.

It's a wall of text so I'll just give you the TL/DR:  It was supposed to be a suggestion but the way I formatted the initial post makes it seem like a compliant/shitpost

(10-25-2020, 07:36 PM)TheUltraFish Wrote: Let me know on all of your thoughts on this possible slight rule altering and other guideline/server changes that you all may be interested in.

I believe I have stated all I want to say and have no need and/or desire to add anything else to this conversation other than the fact that I definitely should have reformatted the initial post, and that's on me.