Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micspam Rule Update
Its pretty hard to make a desicion justifying voice changers/sound boards, ceebeast puts it right because it really is a slippery slope.

My personal opinion, I don't mind voice changers/soundboards/jukeboxing. In moderation of course.
I stopped trying to fight it or else my soul would break, what jamming said would be a nice change.
The local Sega & Sonic fanatic.
[Image: JCMB8GH.jpeg]
My opinion sounds tremendously childish: as with this 3-sec rule, I usually allow sounds as long as it's just a short clip (Hanna-Barbera sfx as an example).

The only problem is that some clips might go for more than 5s and that's where I proceed as usual. Sometimes they add value to the voice chat, but they almost always don't. Other cases include people trying to sing, but sometimes I tell them I'll queue that song so they stop singing and the funny thing is that they get a feeling of satisfaction after listening that short karaoke (it kinda works!). To be honest I'm sure the usual soundboard players have a good understanding of how long should they go and what they're not allowed to say. Once they fuck up I just go strict, since they know the limits.

Jammin: it's time to go to sleep, mate
This is a problem I've always had with the rules of these servers that thankfully has slowly fixed itself over the years: people don't understand WHY rules are enforced. Rules are made and enforced with the goal of protecting the integrity of the game community by making sure players don't grief the experience of other players. If you're enforcing a rule in a way where this goal is not met, this rule is extraneous and should not be enforced. Just like the sitting in spectator rule that was on Prophunt for WAY too long; it was fairly useless, served very little to protect other players from malice, and yet was one of the most common rules staff enforced.

Micspam is obviously annoying in general, as per the literal word micspam, but you need to look in a case by case basis whether or not what the player is doing is actually micspam. With someone like Rylo, I don't find it all that annoying that he plays a 1 second soundbyte every 2 minutes or something. They're (usually) not obnoxious or loud and I laugh at the randomness of them. If you're punishing players for doing something that other players generally enjoy and is not griefing the experience of other players, then the punishment was not necessary and only served to piss that person off.

TL;DR listen to Jammin.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide