Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plan E: Blue Shift
I would have to agree with David on this one. Whenever you were alone on the server you would always ping the other staff for help for someone to get on. If this were a one time I would not think much of it, but it has been a constant feature throughout the year+ you have been staff. Being able to staff alone is a big thing that I believe must be learned before moving up in rank, and especially with how much time you have on the server and staffing the fact you have not developed this skill tells me you aren't ready for t-mod. If every time a staff member gets on and then pings other staff immediately for backup what is the point of the staff member hopping on in the first place? For you to be able to be an effective t-mod you need to be confident in your staffing abilities and not need to rely on other staff to do the job for you. -1
[Image: ehzhie1yovv21.jpg]
Yeah I hate to be that guy here but I semi noticed some similar things with Evan in terms of what David and Ckg have stated. Honestly I do think you have the ability to staff alone and there isn’t that much of trouble with asking for help from time to time I think. I am neutral now mainly because I truly believe you have the potential to able to handle the server by yourself if needed. If this does get accepted and you do get tmod then I hope you will be able to handle it. Good luck!
(01-08-2021, 11:05 PM)Eternal Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 09:48 PM)David Wrote: -1. You cannot handle the server when you're alone, as you have pinged anytime you are staffing and nobody else is with you, even if there's nothing going on in the server. In other words, regardless of how long you've played, I do not think you are able to hold your own on the server. 

Evan I love you, but this is a no from me. Best of luck on your app.
a trusted vs the server

This would be a solid argument if Evan didn't have more time than practically every single moderator currently on the staff team (if there's some I forgot, oops.): 

Kaptainles: 
452.81667 Hours
Cactus: 
760+ hours
bryanbrr: 
480 Hours 
Chris Farley: 686.4 Hours
Jack: 581.3 Hours
Cake: Aprox. 1000 Hours 

Compared to Evan, with 1136 Hours.

Considering that some of these individuals have literally A THIRD of the time Evan does, Evan has NO excuse to not be able to staff the server alone. The fact he pings every single time he's alone shows he is not capable of being someone who can lead and control a server. A Test Mod needs to be able to handle 32 players alone; there are trusted now that can do it, so to me, it's blatantly obvious that he just simply doesn't have what it takes to be test mod, and that's precisely why he shouldn't be promoted; just because you like someone doesn't mean they deserve a promotion. 
Unsure why people are jumping on the "-1 you ask for help and should be able to run a server of 32 people alone with no ability to ban any trolls whatsoever" train, but I believe Evan is more than capable of handling tmod. Asking for help shouldn't be seen as a negative. Even Mods need help sometimes. That's why there's more than 1 staff member on the team to begin with. It's, ya know, called a staff TEAM. +1 from me, I've seen Evan staff and have interacted with him a lot within the servers and discord. He's more than capable.

Time does not equal shouldnt need help.
Hi Evan, to be honest I also share the concerns that David and CKG share regarding your ability to staff the server alone. While I think you are capable, you have to have the confidence to actually handle the server yourself. That being said, having the powers of a trusted can limit your ability to calm down a server (i.e. via the admin say feature).
And some situations do get out of hand for any 1 staff member to handle.
I've personally pinged on-call staff for help twice when a server was getting too wild - whether it be too many reports or a crazy amount of trolling/harassment that one person couldn't be reasonably expected to handle.

Overall here is my analysis:
Pros:
-Knows the rules
-Does reports
-Responds to on-call staff calls
-Very active on staff discord
-Very experienced
Cons:
-Activity can be spotty at times
-May struggle to handle a full server solo
-Not many recent ban requests
-One ban request that Mana handled didn't have a lot of evidence, he had to dig

Overall i'm not very concerned about the handling of a server solo. To me, that's more of an issue when jumping from T-Mod to Mod. I'm more concerned about your ability to collect evidence and post ban requests. You don't really have a lot of ban requests to parallel your activity.

At the end of the day, I feel that most staff should be at the T-mod level as opposed to the trusted level. I feel that Evan is mature enough to handle when to/when not to karma ban and won't abuse the !bring command, and I'd like to see how he uses the @@@ feature to better handle rowdy servers.

I will +1 this application based on your in-game time and your knowledge of the ruleset - and the fact that this is a jump from trusted to T-mod. However I'd encourage you to work harder on ban requests. As far as getting help for a toxic server, do not be afraid of calling for help. In fact, I encourage it. Staff are there to help other staff. Until such a time as you are making the jump from T-mod to mod, I feel this factor isn't that important to take into account.

+1
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(01-10-2021, 03:37 PM)Penguinslayer4 Wrote: Unsure why people are jumping on the "-1 you ask for help and should be able to run a server of 32 people alone with no ability to ban any trolls whatsoever" train, but I believe Evan is more than capable of handling tmod. Asking for help shouldn't be seen as a negative. Even Mods need help sometimes. That's why there's more than 1 staff member on the team to begin with. It's, ya know, called a staff TEAM. +1 from me, I've seen Evan staff and have interacted with him a lot within the servers and discord. He's more than capable.

Time does not equal shouldnt need help.

It's one thing to ask help when you actually need it; it's a completely different situation if you ask for it anytime you're on alone and do NOT need assistance. Evan does more of the latter than the former, and CKG and I are NOT the only ones who think that way about him. It's quite amazing how many people are too afraid to actually criticize him publicly and just diss him behind the scenes.
Ok! I have gone through each of his on-call staff pings in recent days. Here they are:
1/5/21: Leaving server (with synthray online, not sure why the ping)
12/26/20: Leaving need replacement (I was offline this time)
12/26/20: Leaving need replacement (I responded to this first ping)
12/25/20: Needed help
12/25/20: Needed help w/steiner specifically
12/25/20: Needed help
12/23/20: Leaving need replacement
12/23/20: Deisred help if available, but could handle it
12/20/20: Needed help
11/13/20: Leaving needed replacement

Those are the pings corresponding to when Evan became active again.
A lot of these were on Christmas, when a lot of the staff were offline because, well, IRL. I'm not sure if anyone responded Christmas day besides me.
I don't think this means Evan can't handle the server alone, I think it means he isn't afraid to request backup when needed.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
So with the evidence Jammin posted, apart from the last ping, I'm really not sure the basis of this ping criticism anymore. In any case, it sounds like an incredibly minor issue that with just a little bit of training, or talking to, can be rectified in a day. It shows that Evan can handle the server, and is not afraid to ask for assistance. We all know how shit TTT can get, and having an extra pair of eyes is certainly worth it.

IMO, Having the expectation that someone should be able to run a full server by themselves is a purely ridiculous expectation.
I have written a short response to the general concern of my calls for backup and Jammin's concern regarding ban requests.

For the concern regarding pinging I believe I have overcome that flaw of mine. The main issue I feel was a lack of confidence and the the subsequent worry that I would screw up badly in trying to keep control of a near full server or otherwise "rowdy", thus calling for backup when I didn't actually need it. In hindsight I'm not sure why I had this problem; while the C-say function T-mods have would help a lot for the most part even a text only trusted can just start gagging and muting while recording to get a situation under control I think I was just afraid of accidentally kicking the hornet's nest in the process while alone, getting players mad at me and then that making the situation even more of a mess. This is something I've stopped giving a damn about in the past two months or so. If people get pissed at me and start making a fuss I can then call for backup if they won't settle down, instead of preemptively panicking about it. I'm unsure if I will be able to convince those concerned that I have actually fixed this problem, and it may be something only a second application and another month staffing can prove.

For Jammin's concern regarding ban requests, the main cause for a lack of recent reports was, well, a lack of recent playtime. So far in my recent playtime I don't think I've had many situations in which I could file a ban request, with most of what I can remember occurring with a moderator online and banning the guy immediately. Hopefully I am soon enough able to prove that I can effectively and consistently handle ban requests and the evidence needed. With regards to the request mana had trouble with; I realized while writing my T-mod application that I need to do more than screenshot the logs when using them as evidence, in particular I must mark down the map, date, and hour the logs are in so other staff can verify the logs are real.

Hopefully this response can set some of your worries at ease. If not, hey, I can apply again after working on my issues. Took me three tries to get here in the first place afterall.

Minute after posting edit: Also, I would need to mark down the rounds the logs are in too.
(01-10-2021, 05:04 PM)Evan Wrote: For the concern regarding pinging I believe I have overcome that flaw of mine.  The main issue I feel was a lack of confidence and the the subsequent worry that I would screw up badly in trying to keep control of a near full server or otherwise "rowdy", thus calling for backup when I didn't actually need it. 

Okay nice, you're self aware. Believing it yourself internally and showing it externally are two different things. I think this also ties in with your ban request issue; so until I see more ban requests out of you, I'm still going to believe that you aren't confident in yourself, as in my eyes, you have yet to prove that you have confidence.

For Jammin's concern regarding ban requests, the main cause for a lack of recent reports was, well, a lack of recent playtime.  So far in my recent playtime I don't think I've had many situations in which I could file a ban request, with most of what I can remember occurring with a moderator online and banning the guy immediately.  

This brings up CKG's issue of you depending on other people to do the job for you. Sure, Jammin presents a strong point that these issues I have might be more prominent from Test Mod to Mod rather than this promotion; however, your lack of ban requests makes people like CKG and me believe that you cannot carry your own weight as a staff member, which might be why it took you 3 times to get trusted. People can -1 me all they want for disagreeing with my views but that won't change my mind on this. I think you need another month to prove to the community you are capable of carrying your own weight.

my responses are in purple.

Also, it isn't a ridiculous notion to expect someone who's been staff as long as he is to be able to carry his own weight on a server. The general consensus is for people to assume I mean that I expect him to be able to handle 32 players with multiple RDM's going on in a round and 6 micspammers. That isn't the case I was trying to make but since individuals believe that is exactly what I am trying to say, I will restate my main argument for clarification.

Evan has 1100+ hours; therefore, my expectations for him to make the jump from Trusted to Test Mod are higher than other applicants, as he has much more experience than most staff members in the community, so that is why I am going to justify being extremely nitpicky. His lack of ban requests and his history of not having confidence in himself are red flags to me, and that is why I cannot and will not support a promotion for Evan at this given time. 

Now, should Evan make more ban requests and show myself and other doubters that he is capable of carrying his own weight, I will gladly support his promotion. Until that though, he should remain as a Trusted.