Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plan E: Blue Shift
If we are talking about a certain younger player that peoppe have been having issues with, I can confirm what evan has said. This player is actually on the edge of a ban for mic spam. That does not make the harrassment of the player ok however.
The situation started earlier on this kid trying to pick up a fight on Nazu for some reason (ttt_lost_temple). Then going forward the kid started saying random insults plus excessive talking, and they both got gagged. Multiple times. The thing is that I left the server to attend real life stuff soon after you joined, like second round 4th or 5th round of ttt_intergalactic at 16h (checked logs already), and the place turned surprisingly quiet, so I considered the situation somewhat controlled. You banned yourself at 01-Jan soon after new year for 20k minutes and you just admitted joining (with an an alt because I tend to actively check newcomers). Your alt was Princess Nicole (STEAM_0:0:583688769). I must say I felt tempted to karma ban you for alt evading, but I witnessed what was a ban you put on yourself for no real reason in roy the ship that day, so I decided not to and also got confused for the erratic behavior. On the contrary I told Evan that it was your alt. When I joined later the kid was still on and Walrus told me he was up to a kick stage, but I could not hear nicely every damn detail of what he was talking, and I got complaints of him for being a minge, so I kicked him shortly after. I heard one of the players say 'thanks', after the kick in school day.

Also, I tend to use short, three-letter patters when using commands, and the usage turned somewhat commmon, and well, I remember that it turned common enough to memorize the pattern of "e14"

This is the ban I'm talking about:

[Image: 0.png]
Neutral, an awesome player with a lot of experience, and without a doubt a community pillar, but according to what others have said, needs improvement in a few areas.

Also wow, it's a volunteer position for a community video game server, not a seat in a government office. No harm no foul. Not everyone has thousands of hours of community management experience and knows exactly what decisions to make in a given circumstance. These skills are developed through interaction with your community, time, and especially with assistance from your more experienced peers.

Asking for help from your fellow community members should never ever be looked down upon. "I say with Didacus Stella, a dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself." - Robert Burton

Good luck and keep learning.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(01-11-2021, 09:53 PM)Prince Nicky de Navidad Wrote: I'm not going to put a vote here, rather, just a few comments. 

I've noticed that sometimes you've been reluctant to enforce certain rules which would help to maintain some semblance of order on the server.
---A couple of weeks ago, there was a certain individual known for yelling in his mic. Said individual was doing just that. You stated in staff chat that you were hesitant to gag. This was a clear instance of micspam/earrape and incredibly annoying. Should have been a no-brainer gag and warn. I essentially had to push you to do that, which I thought was kind of ridiculous.
---This afternoon (~3 PM), I came on for around 15 minutes but couldn't last any longer than that because of rampant micspam and borderline harassment ongoing against a child player. There was regularly 5-6 mics going at once and the kid player was talking about inappropriate subjects for his age and being goaded/harassed by other players. And the certain individual known for yelling in his mic was once again doing just that. No warns added to anyone and I only saw a single gag administered during my time online (to a player who wasn't even that bad). The place was truly a madhouse and there was another staff member on at the time too. 

I have a few positive comments too
---You have over a thousand of hours experience playing TTT, which means you should be able to quickly recognize certain situations and administer the proper response. Of course, as David said, this does raise the expectations on you as well.
---In the staff chat, you generally "get it" with problem players that are brought up and know that what they are doing is wrong and need to be punished. But again, that response can't just be pushed down the line - you need to be willing to do it yourself and take the flack that you might be incurred in response from the playerbase.

It is now tomorrow morning and I can more thoroughly reply.  For the incident a couple of weeks ago, I believe I know the specific player you are referring to.  I was hesitant to gag this player due to the fact their screams were a result of them, as far as I could tell, genuinely panicking and shouting while getting killed.  Ultimately I concluded the most viable course of action was to get them to lower their voice transmit volume so they did not cause issues while panicking, with the hesitation stemming from me not wanting to gag someone for a human reaction while playing.  Whether it was genuine panic or forced screaming is another issue.  

Secondly, I can more explain yesterday's child player.  It started the map before you joined us on Lost Temple, with this player and Nazu getting into a fairly constant argument after a rdm.  By the end of this map, it seemed to have died down, with the child bickering a bit more with other players but nothing as serious.  On intergalactic and subsequently, not rats kitchen if I mentioned it earlier but mouse-house (the names are similar and I get confused), I did not believe this player was being harassed.  At the time, what I heard from both this player and other players did not seem to be an issue.  While there were still arguments between this player and other people, it did not seem to boil over into enough of a problem to intervene.  This may have been an error in my judgement, with me considering this player more an active instigator than someone merely being goaded into arguments, especially with this player deliberately continuing to argue after being told by myself and synthray to back down earlier.  Having multiple staff confirm to me he continued to misbehave in the same way later in the day makes me believe this consideration as the correct course of action.  

As for the micspam, I did not gag because the situation seemed to be more a result of many different and lively people talking rather than traditional spam.  This again may have been an error of my judgement yesterday, however I could not determine that anyone had met the definition of micspam rather than just people talking way more than usual.  It is also possible that while I was alive in game (And thus could not hear dead chat) or away from the computer for a minute to use the rest room, spam intensified to the point of requiring intervention.
dis just test mod a trail rank, not like mod or admin.
just give this man t-mod, so he can take the feedback and improve himself.
ty ily all
goodbye
1) More than 75% of these comments are digging too deep. This is for Test Mod, a rank that gives hardly any new commands, and they aren't really even game changing ones at that.

2) Applicant should also be the one to defend themselves, whole community doesn't have to attack two people for putting out good criticism.

3) Only issue I had with you during my time would've been the constant pinging for help. Asking for help is fine and offers a good learning advantage, but with someone who's had as much as experience as you, you'd just figure that you would be able to staff a full server alone. Most of the times I responded to those pings the server wasn't bad.

4) You're a more than capable staff member, but don't take criticism to heart. Just learn from it. Good luck with your app, friend.

5) I can also make an entire list of people who have refused to gag or punish certain people, so I don't really find it fair that some of you are nitpicking and throwing Evan under the bus for one instance. Hold EVERYONE to the same standard.
Please keep staff applications relevant to the application. Side conversations can be taken elsewhere.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Easy + 1. He is applying for Test Moderator and has the proper qualifications. Pinging for help is NEVER an issue. It does not matter how many hours of time he has been on the server. He is a trusted. He can't ban, not even temporarily. A single troll can just keep coming back no matter how many kicks. I would always try to get other staff on to help if I was the only staff on as TRUSTED. He has more ban requests than I did between my first applications for trusted and test moderator. (When I applied in 2018). He's capable in my eyes.
[Image: gYIxK93.png]
Sorry for the delay on commenting I've been waiting for it to die down a bit. Formally I think evan has a great opportunity to shine in Tmod and reading his responses in this thread alone are very well thought out and purposefully words things in a way to deescalate. Time on the server is irrelevant whether a staff member is good or not. It is important but if he has 1000 hours or only 200 hours doesn't matter, what matters is if he can do the job and if he is willing to improve. Easy +1 from me. Also if you require ban requests like a cop ticket quota you need to rethink what your true goals are here, its a game not a government.
The local Sega & Sonic fanatic.
[Image: JCMB8GH.jpeg]
(01-12-2021, 10:36 PM)Battons Wrote: Sorry for the delay on commenting I've been waiting for it to die down a bit. Formally I think evan has a great opportunity to shine in Tmod and reading his responses in this thread alone are very well thought out and purposefully words things in a way to deescalate. Time on the server is irrelevant whether a staff member is good or not. It is important but if he has 1000 hours or only 200 hours doesn't matter, what matters is if he can do the job and if he is willing to improve. Easy +1 from me. Also if you require ban requests like a cop ticket quota you need to rethink what your true goals are here, its a game not a government.

There's two very valid arguments to make about how much time an individual plays/staffs on here. On one side, you're correct that the only thing that matters is whether or not they are willing to improve; on the other, the more time someone has, the higher the expectation should be held for them. Out of all the all the complaints addressed, I personally believe Evan's lack of conviction to enforce rules due to fear of backlash is the biggest offense, and that is why I am at a neutral stance for a promotion. 

The rest is pretty easily fixable, and I'll admit that I have been way too nitpicky with Evan on that; he handled the criticism like a Champ, which is exactly why the vote changed from a -1 to a 0.

Just for Clarification:

-Evan is in no way a terrible staff member. I  have very high expectations for him and hold him to a higher standard than usual Test Mod applicants because I know he can improve to become a better candidate for Test Mod, which is why I have been nitpicky; if that's ridiculous, then so be it. People have made comments about people not making enough ban requests for people in the past, so it isn't a new form of criticism. If I need to, I could pull up the receipts and show threads where staff member hopefuls/ promotion hopefuls were denied due to a lack of them. His main issue, as stated above, is confidence. Once he fixes this, it'll be quite possibly the easiest +1 ever.

- I felt justified with everything I said; I also in no way was just trying to troll/be an asshole for no reason. It seemed that the way people responded to not only my criticism but CKG's as if we were simply being assholes for no reason, and eagerly rushed to defend him by both -1'ing us and making huge dramatizations and reaching out for conclusions that simply were not true and seemed like childish misunderstandings, just to be blunt. 

-You(I'm not talking about you specifically here Battons) cannot sit here and get angry about people taking a staff app seriously by giving genuine, honest criticism and then turn around and give the same if not worse criticism on unban requests. As a group in this community, we have to either stay consistent, or don't complain when someone has a legitimate issue with a promotion. To quote dong, HOLD EVERYONE TO THE SAME STANDARD. DO NOT MAKE EXCEPTIONS BECAUSE YOU LIKE OR DISLIKE SOMEONE.

-Again, I'll state this: just because you like someone doesn't mean you can just dismiss any sort of criticism, just like if you dislike someone, you cannot simply dismiss anything they say as "trolling" or "toxicity." 

And with that, I've said practically everything I needed to say on this thread. 

For those of you too lazy to read, here's a TL/DR: 

1. Evan isn't a bad staff member; I just personally hold him to higher expectations and standards because of the amount of time he has put in staffing. Once he fixes his issues with confidence, this will be the easiest promotion ever.

2. You shouldn't just dismiss criticism from someone just because it's from someone you dislike; likewise, you should strive to try and see things from all angles if you're staff, not just support people you like/ criticize people you don't. Props to all of those who didn't just mass -1 CKG and Myself or Foxka when we made takes that not necessarily everyone agreed with.

3. My criticism was not me just being a troll; I meant everything I said; and after this post, I have no intention to make any further comments on this application, as it's almost going to be 7 pages now; I'll take the blame for that since I had an unpopular opinion and came across as an asshole with my initial post. My apologies to you, Evan, for unintentionally turning your thread into a borderline shitshow.