Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Making Garry's Mod run faster with Source shenanigans
There are a couple of things you can do to increase gmod's performance quite a bit, mostly by setting multi threaded processing on things that don't have it enabled by default

Optimizing Garry's Mod for multithreaded processing (THESE HELP THE MOST)

In your autoexec.cfg, add these commands:
Code:
gmod_mcore_test 1
mat_queue_mode 2
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
  • gmod_mcore_test 1 enables experimental multicore processing for gmod. Under very rare conditions this might cause a crash on some models of processors. I have been using it for 5 years without trouble.
  • mat_queue_mode 2 sets the material system to use queued multithreading mode instead of synchronous singlethreaded mode. In English, it sets texture processing to be sent to multiple cores instead of just one. Benefits laptops the most
  • cl_threaded_bone_setup 1 enables multithreading for bone processing for things like animation and footsteps.

General setting changes

In your autoexec, add these lines:
Code:
mat_motion_blur_enabled 0
mat_reducefillrate 1
mat_vsync 0
cl_forcepreload 1
cl_ragdoll_collide 0
mat_specular 0
  • mat_motion_blur_enabled 0 disables motion blur. This doesn't make anything faster but you should really have this setting off in TTT.
  • mat_reducefillrate 1 reduces shader quality. Some shadows may look grainy
  • mat_vsync 0 disables vsync. If you have major screen tearing, set this to 1
  • cl_forcepreload 1 forces all map textures to be loaded before joining the map. This increases load times but boosts FPS.
  • cl_ragdoll_collide 0 disables ragdoll collisions
  • mat_specular 0 disables the shine on things like metal and floors. Also fixes some missing texture problems. Makes the game look more dull, though.

Launch options

In your launch options, set these options:
Code:
-high -nojoy
  • -high sets the process priority to high
  • -nojoy disables joystick support, reducing memory requirements

Using the 64-bit executable & Chromium web renderer

Follow the guide by bryanbrr to learn how to do this. Using a 64-bit executable doesn't make a huge difference other than being able to use more than 4GB of memory, but the Chromium renderer is much faster than the default Awesomium renderer.

More aggressive setting changes

You can add either the "Potato" config or the "Beyond Potato" config to your autoexec (but not both). Alternatively, you can add a mix of the options from this forum thread.

[Image: unknown.png]

autoexec.cfg is a config automatically ran at the game start. Configs, or .cfgs are lists of console commands that are ran one after another. When you load console commands into a cfg and run the cfg, you are running all of those console commands with just one command. In the case of autoexec.cfg, it's ran automatically when the game starts.

autoexec.cfg is at steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg\autoexec.cfg, if you don't have one create one. Edit it with notepad.

I recommend splitting up your autoexec into pieces by using enter. I have a section for my multithreading stuff, a section for my fps and ping displays, a section for random performance tweaks, a section for console filtering, and a section for aliases. Here is my autoexec:
[Image: unknown.png]

If you need any help following this guide, feel free to contact me through the Discord or through forum PM.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
@ admins can we pin this to guides
(03-08-2021, 01:55 AM)two rats kissing Wrote: @ admins can we pin this to guides
@ admins