Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the r word not be allowed to be said at all in the discord?
As someone with autism I have been called retarded before and honestly it does not offend me. The word isn't even used in the field of psychology anymore and it's because they found a better term for people with down syndrome or other mental disorders. The word has no definition anymore and is used to call someone who's being an idiot rather than someone who has a mental disorder. I do believe that the "R" word should be allowed to be said since it literally has no definition (or power) unlike other words that are banned.
ok also can we ban the word idiot because that is also really derogatory to people who are not intelligence-privileged. the s-slur too (stupid) shouldn't be allowed for the same reason. loser probably should be banned, because it's oppressive to people who have "lost" in the past.

list of words that are "derogatory" and have NO place on a gmod community.

-weirdo
-creep
-loser
-moron
-stupid
-idiot
-ape
-asshole
-asswipe
-balllicker
-bitch
-bitchboy
-bozo
-butthead
-bum
-bumhead
-cock
-cocksucker
-many more

as battons said, derogatory terms DO NOT HAVE A PLACE ON THIS SERVER!
[Image: xdjlve.png]
A couple questions. Did anyone express discomfort with the term before the warning was issued? Or was this a in the moment thing? Will this be enforced on the servers as well particularly the TTT server.

Admittedly I don't find the term offensive as everyone I've known have used it since children and imo unless its being directed at a disabled community member I don't see an issue. While "retard" is a pejorative for the disabled the word is also commonly used to describe things they find dumb or stupid. If you are going to consider a term that no longer used to define the disabled a slur then will terms likes "moron", "idiot", "cretin" and "imbecile" be punished as well? As they were all terms that at one point used towards people with mental disabilities and low IQ. Context matters and i don't think this should be a punishable offense unless its genuinely being used to degrade someone for their disabilities.
[Image: J6yUs0g]
we will ban "dumbass" in 3 years when it is deemed offensive by the staff in power at the time
[Image: gYIxK93.png]
(03-14-2021, 09:49 PM)Raider Hanks Wrote: we will ban "dumbass" in 3 years when it is deemed offensive by the staff in power at the time
You already get muted for saying “shut up” in ph, so it is not an impossible thing to foresee!
Dinkleberg's is a safe space, as long as youre trying to be safe from words and not chomo admins.
I generally have no qualms about what actions staff will take to ensure rules are enforced, but doing this really does seem like an ASAB moment.
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Good Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
Why not let the community vote on something like this? Take a poll and go from there.
(03-14-2021, 09:52 PM)CumGun Wrote: Why not let the community vote on something like this? Take a poll and go from there.
Retweet
I feel like based off of responses in the discord I am in the minority with my opinion here, but let me explain.

Every single word you come into contact with has a pen and paper definition, whether its outdated is a whole different story. People can take something in an entirely different way than how you had originally meant it depending on a plethora of things.

A fictional scenario I want to bring up would go as follows: a friend and I are just messing around and I'm like "oh haha you're a dumbass." I can mean it in an entirely different way than he takes it. I could be just trying to have friendly banter, and on the opposite end he could find it extremely offensive. Or he just laughs at it too and says it right back.

An emotional meaning to a word is how you yourself would perceive it whenever you hear it. If a word or slur is used directly at someone to fuck with them then that should be against the rules yes, but if it is out of the blue and you say something like "oh that's so retarded," I don't really see how that is offensive and should be banned. It isn't directed to anyone.

I apologize for throwing out a differing opinion, but would love to have intellectual debates with people who have differing opinions than me.

Thanks