Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addressing Transparency in the Discord
(03-15-2021, 09:27 AM)Raider Hanks Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 09:24 AM)Stress Queen Wrote: I think you're giving the discord moderation system a little too much credit by implying it exists
It exists, but is heavily understaffed. Hence why admins apparently are taking the initiative. Now it leads to rash judgements. It is all volunteer, yes, but it does not mean they should do what they are doing.
Oh..... now I understand I think. So that’s probably what led to this. Sigh... eitherway if admins do start taking the initiative I hope at least communication is worked on some more when enforcing the discord, again I don’t mean any disrespect to the admins or anything and I can kinda understand where they are coming from with this decision. I just was kinda confused that it happened out of the blue without any announcement or anything that said this would start being enforced.
To piggyback off of the side conversation occurring about admins and discord mod presence, Matt and Avi worked to separate forums and discord from regular staffing. While we no longer have a discord admin, the discord mods and helpers should be in their own realm and moderate the discord as originally intended without the disruption of other staff from other servers. Ultimately though, the conjoined admin team should only dabble in matters regarding applications, unbans etc, with the help of said discord team. That's what I tried to do at least.

As for the situation in general yesterday, it could've honestly been avoided. I don't necessarily agree with banning the word in all manners possible, but since in some cases it was maliciously used I can definitely see the reasoning for punishment. But for like Ted and a few others, I don't see how or why they got got for a second.
@"Damester" For debate on this, I'd suggest Jesse's recent post. Not on here.
[Image: gYIxK93.png]
inb4 nicky writes an essay length response
I doubt I'm the only one, but these threads are counterproductive and frankly just annoying. 

While I find the use of the word in question abhorrent, I wasn't the one that decided to clamp down on it without prior warning. While I don't think this was the right approach, it's my understanding that in at least one of those warns the word was being used in an insulting manner. And a warning for insulting someone is well within the reasons to warn someone. 

I was, however, the one who muted Raider in the general Discord.

First of all, I'm not Discord Staff even if I have the tag on the Discord. I made no application for such a role and want little to do with moderating the general Discord. That being said, if I notice or am made aware of something problematic going on within it, I'll do something. And as I recall, those guidelines you posted are just that - guidelines. The guidelines, as you well know from staffing the TTT server according to the Staff Guidelines there, allow for staff discretion. Therefore, I tapped into that discretion and used it here. 

Second of all, I muted you in an effort to hopefully avoid this nonsense. Apparently taking the easy route wasn't sufficient. That's right - trying to choose the option that would lead to the least disruption wasn't good enough. 

The reason for the mute is based on the messages in this photos where you are clearly trying to instigate issues in the Discord. As a staff member, we generally try to avoid creating drama or instigating people. But you were apparently feeling the need to do so. 
[Image: raiderinstigation1.jpg][Image: raiderinstigation2.jpg]

And in our staff chat, you made it quite evident that muting you for ~2 hours was the right move.
[Image: mutereason1.jpg]

Finally, I believe we already addressed the reasons why you were muted in the staff chat. So I'm a little confused why much of this post was even necessary.
[Image: reason3.jpg]

At this point, I'm confused as to how Prop Hunt is the place called the daycare when TTT is apparently filled with a number of adult babies.
Thank you for selectively leaking staff chat. I will make sure to go to discussion and pick out everything that was discussed in order to make my own argument.
Lemme starts by readdressing the problems that we ran into yesterday evening. What happened, in my opinion, was multiple people were falsely punished due to the lack of knowledge of the Discord Moderator guidelines. As I alluded to yesterday in my post, I am not sure if the current team of admins, besides Nicol (while it was like 95% Avi in discord Nicol did have a hand in it towards the end of her tenure), have read the moderator guidelines. Because of this, punishments were rushed and the chain of punishments set out by Avi was disrupted. 

(Subtle flex here) As the, currently, oldest discord moderator I'd like to apologise for not having the discord's shit together. What happened yesterday was a complete fiasco that could have and should have been avoided. It was a mixture of people overreacting and due to that overreaction the people of the internet did what the people of the internet do and they retaliated --- big surprise, right?

Now talking about the future of discord moderation:
We do have some ideas currently in the works to make moderation of the discord a bit easier, for example, increasing the amount of discord staff.  

One thing that I do not stand for is the eradication of the discord staffing team. I understand that as it is now it is a complete shell of what it used to be due to the fact that we do not have a figurehead over the team, we just have a group of admins from other servers poking their noses in (for lack of better words) and that exactly why the discord staff team was created, as Dong said above. I feel that if we can get the team off the ground again and take the middle ground of all four servers, we can really do a great job for everyone's sake. 

As far as my actions yesterday, I was a bit upset and what was taking place in the discord. I thought that the punishment for saying "That's Retarded" was very, very stupid. Of course, people bring up other slurs in an argument against the use of the word and the easiest thing to do in this situation is say "Fuck you, if you want to get rid of every slur, we'll do that then." and that's the outlook I had when I made the comments to jax in the general discord. That's not a great way to handle the situation as it is unfolding, that being said when shit hits the fan like that there's not much you can do to stop that type of shitstorm, besides of course muting people, which... well.

TL;DR:
The way the discord was currently being staffed was much more laissez-faire than it should have been. We didn't enforce the rules that were given to us to the best of our ability, and then when someone does complain about some minuscule bullshit we have to enforce the rules laid in front of us, that have been there since the beginning. Oh, and, when I say us or we or any of that bullshit, associate it with my personal perspective because most of this shit is opinionated as fuck at the end of the day. If you've got any questions reply or dm me on discord.
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
Man.. Ima go back to bed...
former admin2
(03-15-2021, 11:27 AM)Raider Hanks Wrote: Thank you for selectively leaking staff chat. I will make sure to go to discussion and pick out everything that was discussed in order to make my own argument.

You are more than welcome to post anything that I wrote regarding the present situation in the staff chat here. I have deleted nothing and only ask that you make sure to blur out any comments by others.
  • "I doubt I'm the only one, but these threads are counterproductive and frankly just annoying." Excuse me, but I find that the lack of understand on the staff side is just as, if not more, annoying for the community. I bring up an issue, you attempt to justify it, and then bash the effort so that it doesn't happen again. Furthermore, it is apparently a headache when individuals have grievances from the staff. I'm sorry that the people only can post things. They can't mute or force people to drop issue when they don't like it. 
  • You admit to not even being discord staff, and choosing to selectively ramp us the punishment you issue. With that understanding, it would have been perfectly justifiable for you to have flat out kicked me from the server or ban me. Why? Because your discretion would have led you to skip levels of a process in order to reach a conclusion you deem as justifiable. That is unacceptable. You are murder admin, not discord admin. You overreaching your boundaries is not right and you refuse to admit it. 
  • Yes I was muted for saying those things, so I took it here instead now. But apparently making this is annoying and counter productive. What is productive then? Please tell me. Should I have brought the issue to you instead? No, because you would have given me your personal opinion and swept it under the rug. 
  • The first leak from staff chat was in regards to an argument in which individual were questioning the action of the staff team in banning illegal activity. I guess the mute was a good idea because heaven fucking forbid I try to make us look good for once. 
  • Finally, I am an ass. I had an opinion and was berated for it on the staff discord. People became overtly hostile to me over it. In the main discord, the general people were learning what was going on and being punished for it since it never was addressed. I said I had an issue with the staff doing what they were doing, and I was flat out told to just fucking resign. 
Nicky, please don't be hypocritical ass in the future. I'm an ass for being against what the staff fucked up doing. There should be a rule against staff berating forum posts since they already prevent this on the Discord. You funnel this into only once area of communication, because it takes longer to have conversations over forum that instant-messages on Discord.

No, I'll post the discussion chat as is with all the comments everyone else said. You did the same thing here.