Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So is this profile pic ok?
(03-20-2021, 09:25 PM)Damester Wrote: Honestly who cares? It's just a profile picture and threads like this make people like Raider Hanks happy because the entire reason he has it is just to troll people who are over-sensitive. I do not like the person or the flag represented in his profile picture but I do not think he should be forced to remove it.

Those are not traits that are acceptable for a staff member - to put a racist and divisive symbol on their public profile where they represent the staff of the community simply for the goal of being able to "troll people who are over-sensitive." If that's what he'd like to do, I'd kindly ask that he recuse himself from the staff team before continuing to do so.
Two cents
I don't personally agree with his picture or his views regarding the confederate flag. Outside of the views others have expressed regarding race, as an american I don't support a former enemy country and don't support traitors of america.
But this is his personal expression oof his beliefs/heritage n his personal discord profile. He doesn't display anything NSFW or explicitly racist. additionally, he isn't using the staff or main discord to propoagate his views, except in his own defense.
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but David is right. This isn't a professional organization, it's a gmod server. This doesn't affect his ability to staff. And our rules don't state any restrictions on use of the confederate flag .
As long as this community continues to tolerate the use of the n-work (soft a) to some degree, there really isn't much to say regarding his profile picture.
My personal beliefs regarding the racist and traitorous origins don't outweigh his right to hold his own opinions on his heritage. He isn't using the discord platform to propoagate discussion, it's just his profile picture. It's not breaking any standards that pfps must follow, to my knowledge.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(03-20-2021, 09:47 PM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 09:25 PM)Damester Wrote: Honestly who cares? It's just a profile picture and threads like this make people like Raider Hanks happy because the entire reason he has it is just to troll people who are over-sensitive. I do not like the person or the flag represented in his profile picture but I do not think he should be forced to remove it.

Those are not traits that are acceptable for a staff member - to put a racist and divisive symbol on their public profile where they represent the staff of the community simply for the goal of being able to "troll people who are over-sensitive." If that's what he'd like to do, I'd kindly ask that he recuse himself from the staff team before continuing to do so.
That's a fair point that I agree with, I'll give a +1 for a resigning/banning of Raider Hanks if the discussion goes that far.
(03-20-2021, 09:10 PM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote: Robert E. Lee is an equally polarizing character. There is a reason that his statues have been taken down across the nation. In fact, his namesake school (Washington and Lee University) has decided to rename itself in the coming years. Lee’s legacy is inextricably linked to racism. He led the Confederate Army, an army of traitors, against the United States in the Civil War. The Civil War was conducted in an effort to maintain slavery in the United States.

This really isn’t as good a point as you think. An Abraham Lincoln statue, paid for by freed slaves, was recently taken down in Boston. The facts that statues have been taken down isn’t really indicative of anything. 

If Raider would have had his profile picture as Washington, Thomas Jefferson, or any over the founding fathers (save for a few like John Adams, Ben Rush, Franklin) I doubt you or anyone else would have been making the same complaints. Despite the fact that most founding fathers having deep connections to slavery and/or racism. 

Are you going to ban profile pictures such as FDR (Japanese Internment?) or Andrew Jackson (Trail of Tears?) 

This is an blatant overreach on your part, and a completely unnecessary thread by Jesse. This is Garrys Mod. This isn’t a political arena. You don’t get to cherry pick historical context because you don’t agree with Raider.

Do I think it’s cringe? Maybe a little. But that’s all. 

The fact that this was even brought up is actually ridiculous.

Edit: Being divisive is not a reason to force someone to change their profile picture. Am I supposed to change my profile picture because apparently Arnold groped some women and has had a couple sexual assault allegations against him?
[Image: xdjlve.png]
BTW don't harass Jesse over this thread he only wanted to ask a simple question regarding this.
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Good Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
(03-20-2021, 09:49 PM)Jammin Wrote: Two cents
I don't personally agree with his picture or his views regarding the confederate flag. Outside of the views others have expressed regarding race, as an american I don't support a former enemy country and don't support traitors of america.
But this is his personal expression oof his beliefs/heritage n his personal discord profile. He doesn't display anything NSFW or explicitly racist. additionally, he isn't using the staff or main discord to propoagate his views, except in his own defense.
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but David is right. This isn't a professional organization, it's a gmod server. This doesn't affect his ability to staff. And our rules don't state any restrictions on use of the confederate flag .
As long as this community continues to tolerate the use of the n-work (soft a) to some degree, there really isn't much to say regarding his profile picture.
My personal beliefs regarding the racist and traitorous origins don't outweigh his right to hold his own opinions on his heritage. He isn't using the discord platform to propoagate discussion, it's just his profile picture. It's not breaking any standards that pfps must follow, to my knowledge.

You know the famous line: A broken clock can be right twice a day!

Thank you Jammin for your input. Always can depend on you to be level-headed in any situation :)
time for my 11 cents, that is a "battle flag" not the confederate flag, the original agreed upon confed flag was "big red" until all seceded states wanted there own flags and so they came together and had a contest to make a new flag, the original version of that flag they DENIED because they said it looked like britches

in the end there were almost 25 - 26 "confedered flags" the only real reason that one got popular was because of a "rebel" somthin protest that i don't member the name of but the original flag was big red. if hanks wanted a racist profile pic find Sherman holding big red. thats as racist as it gets. but maybe not even sherman so many feared southern soldiers and even then there was the kkk along with many other people that could be worse. and adding on to that most people don't even know lee its like how people think he and grant ended the war with a handshake. that is not how that happened.

but people also still wave around such flags today so we telling him he cant have the flag is like taking a real life right to wave the britches "rebel" flag
[Image: ezgif.com-effects.gif?ex=66308f7a&is=661...height=424]
find more through my linktree | Never Forget | Green Bean
Mannnn heres some cringe for this thread he aint hurting nobody this is gmod
[Image: 46713d688f8087b1f2d3b92a79d7afea.png]

Future owner  :D
(03-20-2021, 09:33 PM)Raider Hanks Wrote: The Confederate Flag, as well as General Robert E. Lee is an aspect of my culture. I grew up in rural Virginia. Through my father, grandfather, and community, I have heard stories of the Civil War. I am an American. I had family on both sides of the war. I refuse to throw down my ancestors as racist traitors who deserve to never be displayed. My family did not own slaves. That is a fact. I do not know if my family fought solely to preserve slavery, or because they were against the perceived threat of a tyrannical government. That is unknown to me and I do not want anyone making assumptions, because you do not know either.

In regards to the removal of the flag due to hate crimes involving it, why do we not remove the American flag? From atrocities against the Native Americans to war-crimes during Vietnam, not to mention contemporary atrocities, we still maintain the flag? In the 1920s, the KKK launched its largest march on Washington. The flag flown was not the Confederate flag. You know what it was? The American flag. Why is the Union Jack still flown in the United Kingdom? Their colonial empire lead to many atrocities in the name of imperialism. The Japanese flag still has similar elements of its prior flag during the Japanese Empire. Why don't they remove the sun symbolism completely from their flag?

I don't very much like your association with my heritage to be only of racism. It offends me deeply. You don't even try to view this through my eyes. You stamp it down as bigotry and move on in a high and mighty attitude. Do you support the American flag? The flag attributed to tyrants? Flown by the KKK? Used while invading countless nations around the globe?
*grabs popcorn*
Also, fuck that flag and everything it stands for. I don't like the "oh it's just my culture" argument, I'm also from the south and will confidently say to hell with that flag.
[Image: 687cd083912938249bd08f66425ef3dd.jpg]
Here's your Confederate flag.
[Image: oKn4mWG.png]
(03-20-2021, 10:16 PM)Pbever Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 09:33 PM)Raider Hanks Wrote: snip~
*grabs popcorn*
Also, fuck that flag and everything it stands for. I don't like the "oh it's just my culture" argument, I'm also from the south and will confidently say to hell with that flag.

that flag wasent even used for that long, it only got popular because of some protesters you want your south flag? here
[Image: 6139Pr7Uf+L._AC_SX425_.jpg]

wave that on your wall
[Image: ezgif.com-effects.gif?ex=66308f7a&is=661...height=424]
find more through my linktree | Never Forget | Green Bean