Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TTT] Looking for Feedback: Chat Slur-Blocking
Oh also this server isn’t the only one to have done something like this so do not act like it’s a big deal for those of you who want to say slurs. It really isn’t, again if you want to say slurs you could say it in your private chats somewhere. Again I really hope this doesn’t become a full out angry tantrum just because you can’t slurs that easily anymore through this. Again it isn’t a big deal. It’s just a word lmao. You can go without saying it and if you can’t then you can go somewhere else and say it. Forgive me if I’m being rude but I will be kinda annoyed if this turns into a war on words. Anyway that’s all I got to say for now. Hopefully this thread won’t turn into a mess like I feel like it’s about to.
Okay, so my qualm with this is the fact that I think this will lead to words like idiot, retard, moron, etc being censored despite their banter-nature. I understand things like f**, n***** etc being banned, obviously, but I'm worried about Admins taking the following approach:

"Oh hey, retard is a controversial word, let's just censor it to avoid any problems." Instead of hashing out and having a discussion about vernacular. Also, I think its lame that people can still get warned even though words are still censored.
[Image: xdjlve.png]
Jax's point is exactly my worry.
[Image: gYIxK93.png]
(03-22-2021, 09:20 PM)(j)ax Wrote: Okay, so my qualm with this is the fact that I think this will lead to words like idiot, retard, moron, etc being censored despite their banter-nature. I understand things like f**, n***** etc being banned, obviously, but I'm worried about Admins taking the following approach:

"Oh hey, retard is a controversial word, let's just censor it to avoid any problems." Instead of hashing out and having a discussion about vernacular. Also, I think its lame that people can still get warned even though words are still censored.

They won't be included no. Preliminary implementation will likely be only reserved for hard slurs that you can't exactly argue against. People won't be warned for them either as nobody will see the chat message

This isn't meant to replace staffing, and is instead an assistance tool for blocking words that are already muted for immediately
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(03-22-2021, 09:28 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 09:20 PM)(j)ax Wrote: Okay, so my qualm with this is the fact that I think this will lead to words like idiot, retard, moron, etc being censored despite their banter-nature. I understand things like f**, n***** etc being banned, obviously, but I'm worried about Admins taking the following approach:

They won't be included no. Preliminary implementation will likely be only reserved for hard slurs that you can't exactly argue against. People won't be warned for them either as nobody will see the chat message

This isn't meant to replace staffing, and is instead an assistance tool for blocking words that are already muted for immediately
Then I consent
[Image: xdjlve.png]
yeah this sounds cool kinda weird nobody made one earlier though +1
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(03-22-2021, 09:28 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:

The same thing was said about awarn and we all saw how that turned out
Why not just have staff enforcement?

Less work for the staff that go AFK anyways? Sign me up!

I can't wait for the day we have robot staff instead of real people
(03-23-2021, 08:16 AM)Avocado Toast Wrote: Why not just have staff enforcement?

Staff aren't always on.
Our community shouldn't be subjected to the random troll spamming the n word at 3 am.

I agree with this implementation only for the hard slurs we currently enforce. I also agree with jax that we shouldn't enforce any other words at this time. If things get to the point of harassment that should be human staff enforced.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks