Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obtain better vpn protection, and not perm ban the first ban.
(04-04-2021, 09:34 PM)ttyyuu12345 Wrote: Here's my suggestions:

1.) Do not perm ban on the first banishment

So, I rdmed people over several rounds under the name bspennington1 (I think I had three reports against me that were not forgiven). The response was to perm ban me, instead of banning me for 2 days - 1 week like other servers normally would do. In addition, a donor forgave their report against me because a mod gave them a non-descriptive warning (in their words, the comment was "."). I feel you guys should get your moderation processes figured out so more people would feel more comfortable playing (and maybe win over some rdmers with grace). I did rejoin as my main letting the admins know of this hole, just to immediately be banned. Of course I do not expect to be unbanned, but a common progressive ban system would be most efficient within these circumstances as rdming 3 people over several rounds (granted they were warned via autoslays) in my opinion does not warrant a permanent ban.

2.) Outdated vpn blocking protection

If you did have any vpn blocking, I was able to bypass it. I'd recommend researching ways to find custom vpn servers hosted in the cloud, as I could always just start another virtual machine with open vpn running, and re-connect under a new account with gmod borrowed. I don't intend on doing that on a massive scale as obviously I did not have a willing interest to continuously play your server.

You clearly demonstrated that you’d come to play on our server without any intention of abiding by our rules, cooperating with our moderation team, and playing in a way that allows everyone to enjoy the game. Why would we only “partially” ban you so you can come back in a week and do it all over again? You talked about sustainment on this server, well you’re right, it is important, and that’s why it’s so important to ban people like you. I am way more interested in retaining the five people you RDMed than you. 

I will say I think the phrase “permaban” needs to be changed. Because as @"Russ the Stress Queen" stated in his write up on the subject, permanent needs to be permanent, no option for appeal. I think it’s entirely sufficient to just use the phrase “Ban” for all other cases. Our players need to understand that appeals are a normal and natural part of the “Ban” process. I think automatic, time dependent ban lifts (ex. Initial mass RDM gets lifted after a week) is a TERRIBLE idea. While this may be sufficient for 75% of cases, the other 25% are just trolls who if allowed to will just mass RDM again first chance they get. The appeal process helps filter out these people and make sure players like that are kept out of the game.
Respect your elders
(04-06-2021, 08:44 AM)Jaerixon Wrote:

So, I rdmed people over several rounds under the name bspennington1 (I think I had three reports against me that were not forgiven). The response was to perm ban me, instead of banning me for 2 days - 1 week like other servers normally would do. In addition, a donor forgave their report against me because a mod gave them a non-descriptive warning (in their words, the comment was "."). I feel you guys should get your moderation processes figured out so more people would feel more comfortable playing (and maybe win over some rdmers with grace). I did rejoin as my main letting the admins know of this hole, just to immediately be banned. Of course I do not expect to be unbanned, but a common progressive ban system would be most efficient within these circumstances as rdming 3 people over several rounds (granted they were warned via autoslays) in my opinion does not warrant a permanent ban.

If you did have any vpn blocking, I was able to bypass it. I'd recommend researching ways to find custom vpn servers hosted in the cloud, as I could always just start another virtual machine with open vpn running, and re-connect under a new account with gmod borrowed. I don't intend on doing that on a massive scale as obviously I did not have a willing interest to continuously play your server.

You clearly demonstrated that you’d come to play on our server without any intention of abiding by our rules, cooperating with our moderation team, and playing in a way that allows everyone to enjoy the game. Why would we only “partially” ban you so you can come back in a week and do it all over again? You talked about sustainment on this server, well you’re right, it is important, and that’s why it’s so important to ban people like you. I am way more interested in retaining the five people you RDMed than you. 

I will say I think the phrase “permaban” needs to be changed. Because as @"Russ the Stress Queen" stated in his write up on the subject, permanent needs to be permanent, no option for appeal. I think it’s entirely sufficient to just use the phrase “Ban” for all other cases. Our players need to understand that appeals are a normal and natural part of the “Ban” process. I think automatic, time dependent ban lifts (ex. Initial mass RDM gets lifted after a week) is a TERRIBLE idea. While this may be sufficient for 75% of cases, the other 25% are just trolls who if allowed to will just mass RDM again first chance they get. The appeal process helps filter out these people and make sure players like that are kept out of the game.

wait you're still alive?
(04-06-2021, 08:44 AM)Jaerixon Wrote:

I get looking out for the people I RDMed, but it gives me a reason to tell everyone why your server is bad because it doesn't handle second chances very well because you have a huge ego and just want me to get on two knees and beg for forgiveness.
(05-11-2021, 07:08 PM)ttyyuu12345 Wrote: I get looking out for the people I RDMed, but it gives me a reason to tell everyone why your server is bad because it doesn't handle second chances very well because you have a huge ego and just want me to get on two knees and beg for forgiveness.

This exactly. Randomly killing people in a gamemode (sort of) about roleplay is a dick move, but our unban process makes a big fluff out of things that really don't matter that much. Some guy throws an incendiary grenade into a crowd of people, gets banned permanently, and comes back after 6 months to appeal. Okay, awesome.. what am I realistically going to say, "No, I don't want him to be unbanned, killing three people in a video game is an unforgivable crime"? No, 99% of people are going to want him unbanned anyway, so why should we require an appeal?
(04-04-2021, 09:45 PM)Battons Wrote:  booted up an alt which also goes against our rules

Can you link me to this rule? Clearly if your using a alt to evade a ban that's one thing but as far as I understand Dink doesn't care about alts otherwise.
(05-11-2021, 08:21 PM)§6SEMBER_UNO Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 09:45 PM)Battons Wrote:  booted up an alt which also goes against our rules

Can you link me to this rule? Clearly if your using a alt to evade a ban that's one thing but as far as I understand Dink doesn't care about alts otherwise.

The complaint on poor VPN protection implies that he got banned and was able to use an alt to bypass the ban