Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spraying in ttt server
(07-22-2021, 04:26 PM)degen(erate_69) Wrote: well as far as i can recall, i dont recall having played with this "Dan" on any other server.

It has nothing to do with the player. Assuming you have spent even 2 minutes playing any server with sprays enabled, you have seen that spray that you DMed to jammin (default black target) and because you have seen the spray somewhere else you for some reason are sometimes able to see it in Dinks
This happens sometimes. Here's the deal, the way we disallow sprays is by setting a cvar on the server that prevents players from uploading files to other people on the server. Sprays are just VTF files that get uploaded to every person on the server every time you spray, that's how you see it.. but since uploading is disabled, we don't get the texture for it, and while the spray is technically "there" as an object, we can't see it on the server.

Here's the catch, spray textures get cached, so if you actually join a server with sprays enabled and someone places a spray, that texture will stay cached on other servers. If that same player happens to use that spray on our server with sprays disabled, he can't upload the spray texture anyone else, but since you have it cached it will show up normally. This happens a lot with sprays on Gamebanana, since it's likely that two random people will happen to have the exact same spray file. This is why a lot of people have probably seen this popular spray on our server (or other popular servers with disabled sprays); you've seen someone else place it down on a spray enabled server.

TL;DR you were in a server where someone else used that spray and it got cached, no big deal
ah i see i see. thanx for explaining this to my dumb-ass. appreciated

[Image: 211941.gif]
[Image: d92.gif]
(07-22-2021, 02:20 PM)Laced Xanax Wrote: I've noticed an increasing amount of people seeing other's sprays recently. I haven't seen any but I've heard a few people going "hold on, you can see sprays now?"
hello i am one of those people

the weird thing ab it is i have not every played on another server on this install of gmod, but i saw one that laced could not see (hence this conversation happening) on 67th the other day, was weird
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
I guess the spray that was happening was a default spray. I asked for the video just to make sure there wasn't some kind of weird bug. As it turns out, it's just a Gmod bug, which at this point is normal.

In fact, if we went longer than a week without finding a Gmod bug, I'd be concerned.

Sprays are not against the rules, we disable it. So we don't have to worry about rules on it. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some kind of system but, but as russ described, they can show up if cached by another player. Ultimately that doesn't cause an issue server side, just on one person's local side.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
makes sense i guess. the user placed a default target spray. didnt assume that Dan was hacking, i just found it odd and wanted to mention it, in case it was something noteworthy. i guess i was on another server that used sprays and didnt even realize it then, or just didnt recall
[Image: d92.gif]
(07-22-2021, 09:13 PM)Jammin Wrote: I guess the spray that was happening was a default spray. I asked for the video just to make sure there wasn't some kind of weird bug. As it turns out, it's just a Gmod bug, which at this point is normal.

In fact, if we went longer than a week without finding a Gmod bug, I'd be concerned.

Sprays are not against the rules, we disable it. So we don't have to worry about rules on it. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some kind of system but, but as russ described, they can show up if cached by another player. Ultimately that doesn't cause an issue server side, just on one person's local side.
almost definitely a new gmod issue as i saw several other users' sprays earlier today
sprays are enabled on the test server so if you were there with someone who put down their spray u can see it
(07-22-2021, 01:58 PM)degen(erate_69) Wrote: using sprays in the ttt server is banned, not allowed right? there's no way for anyone to spray in the server?
I don't think it is a matter of being allowed, but since the last big update, among with other bugs, I have been able to see other people's sprays and people can see mine.
[Image: Limon_T3.jpg?ex=65b9d342&is=65a75e42&hm=...height=468]
(07-24-2021, 08:19 PM)LemonTiara Wrote: I don't think it is a matter of being allowed, but since the last big update, among with other bugs, I have been able to see other people's sprays and people can see mine.
Thank god they are, I have seen some horrific garbage on TTT servers from a few years ago that allowed user sprays.