Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jump Pack Questionaire
(08-24-2021, 12:10 PM)matt_st3 (Strongrule) Wrote: “Competitiveness” is arguing to keep it for bhop purposes. It’s not fun to get eliminated by the guy who dropped out of hyperspace to then just hop back into it Bc the air accel value is 10x normal. It can be spun both ways.

A double jump would do many things towards leveling the playing field. It’s innate so no pay to fly, it doesn’t “hover” like the jump pack so less ceiling spam time, it nerfs bhop which is a victory in of itself IMO, and allows for a more dramatic system of avoiding fall damage. Plus whatever that hit box/jump box issue is that actually allows you to enter the ceiling wouldn’t exist in the first place.
You can bhop the same way either way though.
(08-24-2021, 12:22 PM)aethy Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:10 PM)matt_st3 (Strongrule) Wrote: “Competitiveness” is arguing to keep it for bhop purposes. It’s not fun to get eliminated by the guy who dropped out of hyperspace to then just hop back into it Bc the air accel value is 10x normal. It can be spun both ways.

A double jump would do many things towards leveling the playing field. It’s innate so no pay to fly, it doesn’t “hover” like the jump pack so less ceiling spam time, it nerfs bhop which is a victory in of itself IMO, and allows for a more dramatic system of avoiding fall damage. Plus whatever that hit box/jump box issue is that actually allows you to enter the ceiling wouldn’t exist in the first place.
Yes. Some complaints against the double jump being that it fucks with bhops. Punishes timing I suppose? I’ve mostly just seen “no horrible” arguments or those about bhopping being affected.

Old thread for browsing purposes https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...429&page=1

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
I like playing with/without the jump pack so I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other. I think a good compromise would be to make the jump pack give users less "height" so they don't submerge themselves into ceilings etc.
(08-24-2021, 12:34 PM)matt_st3 (Strongrule) Wrote:

Yes. Some complaints against the double jump being that it fucks with bhops. Punishes timing I suppose? I’ve mostly just seen “no horrible” arguments or those about bhopping being affected.

Old thread for browsing purposes https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...429&page=1
I don’t have experience with double jump so I have no opinion on it. However, it seems to be only you vs. everyone else on this double jump argument so I’m going to trust the people that actually have gmod installed and play the game enough to know that it’s a bad idea.
(08-24-2021, 12:42 PM)aethy Wrote:

I don’t have experience with double jump so I have no opinion on it. However, it seems to be only you vs. everyone else on this topic so I’m going to trust the people that actually have gmod installed and play the game enough to know that it’s a bad idea.
Sorry, I guess 1000 hours and having used both isn’t valid. The whole point of the thread and questionnaire is to gauge feedback from both sides. And the forums have this wonderful effect of pushing off the ones who don’t agree with the opinions of those few who regularly talk/ post first so a google form was made to avoid this reply chain itself. So I’ll go use that.

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
(08-24-2021, 12:47 PM)matt_st3 (Strongrule) Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 12:42 PM)aethy Wrote:

I don’t have experience with double jump so I have no opinion on it. However, it seems to be only you vs. everyone else on this topic so I’m going to trust the people that actually have gmod installed and play the game enough to know that it’s a bad idea.
Sorry, I guess 1000 hours and having used both isn’t valid. The whole point of the thread and questionnaire is to gauge feedback from both sides. And the forums have this wonderful effect of pushing off the ones who don’t agree with the opinions of those few who regularly talk/ post first so a google form was made to avoid this reply chain itself. So I’ll go use that.
Your opinion is valid, but I will not value it more than the opinion of those who would actually be affected by the change. Many of which who also have experience with both.
(08-24-2021, 12:40 PM)pencilsharpener92 Wrote: I like playing with/without the jump pack so I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other. I think a good compromise would be to make the jump pack give users less "height" so they don't submerge themselves into ceilings etc.

I wanted to clarify my thoughts and add on to this that I really think the jump pack is a unique selling point for why a decent amount of users play on this server. There's a lot of custom and vanilla servers out there but not many of them offer jump packs so readily to their users to increase the fluidity of movement. I also think a lot of people have played here for years and have gotten used to how the jump pack operates and how they use it on a bunch of different maps and may not be so willing to accommodate a change to that. I will reiterate that I think the best solution is not removal but a modification, because there are a lot of benefits to a less prominent jump pack as well, such as improved hit registration and the resurgence of T/D items such as iron boots and homerun bat.
(08-24-2021, 01:20 PM)pencilsharpener92 Wrote: I wanted to clarify my thoughts and add on to this that I really think the jump pack is a unique selling point for why a decent amount of users play on this server. There's a lot of custom and vanilla servers out there but not many of them offer jump packs so readily to their users to increase the fluidity of movement. I also think a lot of people have played here for years and have gotten used to how the jump pack operates and how they use it on a bunch of different maps and may not be so willing to accommodate a change to that. I will reiterate that I think the best solution is not removal but a modification, because there are a lot of benefits to a less prominent jump pack as well, such as improved hit registration and the resurgence of T/D items such as iron boots and homerun bat.
I second a simple modification to the jump pack.

I'd like to see the same amount of fall damage negated but MUCH less of the boost to your jump. Literally tons of people (including myself at times) have exploited the jump pack with the sole purpose of putting your head in the ceiling so it's hard to hit.
(08-24-2021, 01:26 PM)Damien Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 01:20 PM)pencilsharpener92 Wrote: asfd

Literally tons of people (including myself at times) have exploited the jump pack with the sole purpose of putting your head in the ceiling so it's hard to hit.

Pretty much everyone does this, including myself, and I think most of us would agree that its pretty anti-fun to be doing this but it's also the best "strategy" to do if you want to have successful rounds (aka not get owned). This should be welcomed for removal.
I will not return as admin till the jump pack is back.