Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permaban for Mass RDM makes no sense
I was going to make another "permanent bans bad" thread and say the same crap as I usually do, but I figured I would talk about something that's ACTUALLY annoying..

These are the punishment guidelines for cases of RDM:
[Image: unknown.png]

I'm sure staff members here know this very well. 3 clear cut cases of RDM result in the player being permabanned. As in, if I walk up to 3 people with my deagle and click on them, and my reports are not forgiven, I am permanently banned and can never play the server again without appealing.

Now, these are the punishment guidelines for racism:

Can anyone please explain to me why in the case of saying racial slurs in chat, something that is very obviously something you should not be doing anywhere (unlike mass RDM, you cant expect everyone to know how to play TTT), it escalates from a warning + mute, ANOTHER warning plus mute, a day ban, then a "3-7 day ban", then FINALLY after FIVE OFFENSES a permanent ban? Obviously people get banned faster if they are spamming, but my point still stands. If you want to get permabanned on Dinks TTT as fast as possible, it is literally faster to shoot 3 people in the head than it is to spam racial slurs in the chat.

Now lets look at player harassment guidelines:
This one makes more sense at least, but when you put it next to the mass RDM punishment escalation it makes it look like a joke. If I join the server and start bullying and harassing a random player right now, I would be muted, banned for a week maximum, then only after that would I get banned permanently. For mass RDM? I shoot 3 people and I would already be on step 3. That makes absolutely no sense.

The amount of people that appeal permanent mass RDM bans is ridiculous when people get handed temporary bans for screaming the N word. It should be the other way around: people screaming the N word should get the instaban, Mass RDMers should still get banned, but maybe a more reasonable time frame than forever.. 2 weeks to 2 month depending on severity perhaps?

Again, let me lay it out in the simplest way I can:
Screaming racial slurs over the microphone = I get warned & gagged, I can do it again right after and probably just get muted again. After that, I probably get like a week ban or something idk. Then after that I join the server and do the same racist shit and get permabanned
Shooting 3 people in the head = permabanned instantly lmfao

Please fix????
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
I am curious as to what other thinks about this. I for one never really realized how lenient the racism guidelines were in comparison to other ones.
RDM is a big issue in TTT. I think this rule is more to get rid of problematic individuals quickly rather than leave a door open for regular players and guests to ruin others' rounds consistently. Yes, a permanent ban may be overkill but it is an effective way to keep gameplay smooth and trolls in check.

If anything, the guidelines for racism and harassment should be enforced by staff and perhaps punishments should be reconsidered by admins.
Pretty simple from the looks to me.

Mass, ban, appeal, less deliberation. Keeps the basic trolls off the server and from coming back.

Slurs, gag, full round gag, day ban. When it gets to a perma, you have even LESS of a chance of coming back, because you've been through all the warnings. staff obviously arent gonna let someone who's been throwing slurs around back for good reason.

If anything, remove the week ban for slurring and just skip to the perma after a day ban.
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Good Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
dont care
because i hate trying to sleep my only card into this is i don't fully agree with always going for the long game, i get the premise and i can't change that but like. Man.
Mass rdm damages the integrity of the game. Same as teaming/ghosting but without benefit to the offender.

Typing racist slurs doesn't damage the integrity of the game itself, except in the capacity of Micspam/obstruction of communication. It damages the level of fun and enjoyment for the server as a whole but doesn't make it any easier or harder to play the game.

That being said, this is a good argument to make the rules on racism stricter. I'm not necessarily a fan of the slur counter getting a reset button after a day or two of no slurs. But I don't feel the two rules are on the same tier - it's comparing apples to oranges.

That being said I don't feel mass rdm should be a permanent ban. I think a 6 month ban or similar would be better. However, I don't think eliminating our definition of mass would be good, it is such a high standard to begin with, needing 3 unforgiven reports (or 3 confirmed unwarranted kills in logs).

To be clear, I feel that consistent RDM is different than mass RDM. Consistent RDM is an assertive effort to troll, while mass rdm could in all honesty be a single bad round of mistakes. Under our definition, I've accidently massed like 3 times before (once due to a very unfortunate spawn jihad taking out 3 t buddies lmao).

For what it is worth, if the player is behaving and willing to serve slays, sometimes I will use discretion to let them serve slays instead of banning. But if they have left, I will almost always Perma ban per guidelines.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(09-05-2021, 09:48 PM)Jammin Wrote: Mass rdm damages the integrity of the game. Same as teaming/ghosting but without benefit to the offender.

Typing racist slurs doesn't damage the integrity of the game itself, except in the capacity of Micspam/obstruction of communication. It damages the level of fun and enjoyment for the server as a whole but doesn't make it any easier or harder to play the game.

I meann I look at it like this: mass RDM is like using your car to block an intersection on purpose, it's damaging the integrity of society because you can't get to work on time and it makes it harder to play the game of life. Now micspamming racial slurs on the mic is like, well, someone walking beside you on the sidewalk screaming racial slurs at you while you walk to work. It damages the level of enjoyment while you're walking to work, but it doesn't make it any easier or harder to get to work because they're not actually physically blocking you.

With that analogy.. who would you want to give the harsher punishment: the guy who illegally parked his car in the middle of an intersection, or the guy screaming racial slurs at you on the sidewalk?
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
you can mute people that you don't want to listen to. you can't mute someone who's rdming
perma ban for mass is flawed

banning for a day for rdm and leave is also flawed