Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the whole reputation thing
It's honestly such a useless feature just keep it gone or replace it. I got warned for "Harassment" even though the system is gone so.. yeah.
Okay, after reading through everything, I still have one point I'd like to make that unless I misread, wasn't mentioned.

Personally, I liked seeing if people agreed with what someone said or not, and how did people do that? The Rep system. It was a quick way to see who said something that I should read or ignore (we as individuals don't want to take the time to sit there and read every single response, you're straight up lying if you say you enjoy doing that unless it's a spicy thread). I'm sorry, but I liked it when I could see an individual getting -1'ed on an unban/ staff app  thread because then I could make a quick judgement of the character.; of course I still always would give the individual a chance by looking at responses too, but I'll be honest, I'm usually lazy and skim read the threads. One positive that this change can bring is it would in theory force you to read at least a COUPLE responses to have a general idea of the situation if you yourself weren't informed. 

Another thing about removing rep: If someone has a good idea on a suggestion thread, the only way you'll know if a lot of people like it now is if it becomes a dogpile of responses... one of the reasons why you all wanted to remove the rep system (rep manipulation seems to be the bigger issue after rereading, excuse me). Seems contradictory to me, but I digress.

Naturally, I also acknowledge and accept through experiences that we as humans despise sudden change, regardless of the intention. I never personally cared about the internet points (I literally had someone mass -1 me 300 rep last year). I am willing to give this a chance and trust Matt and Travis (along with other staff) to implement in a way that they like. 

These are just my thoughts on the matter.
(11-03-2021, 09:03 PM)Reina Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 12:33 AM)RussEfarmer Wrote: Something I've mentioned at least a few times is a system CompactGamers used that let you react to posts with tags like Creative, Useful, Agree, Disagree, Like, Dislike, Funny, etc. and it added a lot to their forums:

[Image: unknown.png?width=616&height=247]

Why is there even a discussion when this exists?
  • More substance than +1/-1. It's actual feedback, but little and tiny and small.
  • Names are visible, so there's no anonymity. If you're being petty, everyone can see it right on the post.
  • This would make opinions on staff applications and suggestions visible at a glance. Not to replace responses, just to give a more concise way to show how the post is doing.
  • It could help motivate people to make higher-quality posts. While there's plenty of room to shitpost with this feature, there's also a lot more warmth and encouragement possible with a reaction than there is with a number.
and the best part in my opinion...
  • I get the feeling almost no one would agree with this, but I think wiping the leaderboards and starting from square one before implementing a different system would be a good thing. It would probably be the best way to keep a rep system while making callout posts significantly less satisfying for those who have consistently made and participated in them. It will also be a good way to encourage more activity from people who are newer to the forums.

You may have missed the part after that picture; those forums are ran on something called XenForo, which is a completely different forum software, not a plugin we can add to our current system. You would either have to figure out how to port all of our old posts, threads and user data to the new software (which would most likely need a professional), or say fuck it and just start fresh. We've already done that once moving from our old Enjin forums to the new MyBB forum, and we've lost a lot of history doing that, since you literally have to pay money to view that old site now. We could obviously keep this site up under a different path, but that reduces accessibility. One unified site is better than three..

I mentioned in that post that this plugin exists to add similar features, but it would not be exactly the same
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(11-04-2021, 05:35 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: I mentioned in that post that this plugin exists to add similar features, but it would not be exactly the same

I was referring to the OUGC plugin in my comment, just wanted to quote the picture since it looks extremely similar to the one on the OUGC site, which had the screenshots and feature list I was basing my comments on. (:
[Image: IBmuAn7.jpeg]