Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the whole reputation thing
Eh….. Fair enough nuru. We don’t really need it. Would be nice indeed to have a reaction system or something else like having to put a reason for the rep. Eitherway I know that will probably take some time to do or whatever and I know Matt and Travis probably have other more important stuff to do so yeah it’s fine. Not really that big of a deal and I can indeed still use the forums without it lol.
(11-03-2021, 05:34 PM)JesseTheUndeadCowboy Wrote: Eh….. Fair enough nuru. We don’t really need it. Would be nice indeed to have a reaction system or something else like having to put a reason for the rep. Eitherway I know that will probably take some time to do or whatever and I know Matt and Travis probably have other more important stuff to do so yeah it’s fine. Not really that big of a deal and I can indeed still use the forums without it lol.
I'm in favor of 0 system myself personally, but I don't mind the one russ suggested. It can easily be monitored better than the current. Or the reason typed one. Both are better than what we have now, as we can't approach it with the "Punish the individual" mindset, as now it's becoming groups.
probably ideal to make it just positive votes and maybe hide overall rep. most people who put negative don't really want to type out a reason
(11-03-2021, 06:02 PM)Mother Nuru. Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 05:34 PM)JesseTheUndeadCowboy Wrote: Eh….. Fair enough nuru. We don’t really need it. Would be nice indeed to have a reaction system or something else like having to put a reason for the rep. Eitherway I know that will probably take some time to do or whatever and I know Matt and Travis probably have other more important stuff to do so yeah it’s fine. Not really that big of a deal and I can indeed still use the forums without it lol.
I'm in favor of 0 system myself personally, but I don't mind the one russ suggested. It can easily be monitored better than the current. Or the reason typed one. Both are better than what we have now, as we can't approach it with the "Punish the individual" mindset, as now it's becoming groups.
I am also in favor of not having a rep system. It was never needed in any of the past communities that I've worked in/been apart of and I can thing of zero times where it would have improved things. Sure, it's weird now since we're all used to having it, but give some time and we'll forget about rep entirely and just move on. Maybe this place can finally become a forum and not just a bad knockoff Facebook.
[Image: ErQ4M8K.jpg] 
genuinely the biggest problem with no rep is the forums are probably going to be a snorefest now since nobody has any incentive to post anything fun or interesting

the forums turning into a shitty website where you just shove ban requests and staff apps into would be very unfortunate, since this is the best forum community I've seen for a garry's mod server. The rest are so soulless and are just filled with nothing of interest at all, it's really sad

if you guys want a website to hold your nose and sound smart with Your perfectly punctuated thread replies. go on reddit or stackoverflow, don't turn this site into just official business
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(11-03-2021, 06:16 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: genuinely the biggest problem with no rep is the forums are probably going to be a snorefest now since nobody has any incentive to post anything fun or interesting

the forums turning into a shitty website where you just shove ban requests and staff apps into would be very unfortunate, since this is the best forum community I've seen for a garry's mod server. The rest are so soulless and are just filled with nothing of interest at all, it's really sad
If you think that the people around here will allow this place to be souless, you're crazy. Let's be honest, you're here, the trolls are still here, and then you have the fun posts. It's hard for a place like this to be souless with the kind of crowd we have, on all sides. Good, bad, and the ugly, this place will always be a riot in some form or another.
BUT OFC THIS IS ALL JUST MY OPINION FEEL FREE TO IGNORE OR JUST SAY SHUT UP NURU
(11-03-2021, 12:33 AM)RussEfarmer Wrote: For starters, we already use a reputation plugin called XEM Fast Reputation that adds the plus and minus rep buttons to all forum posts, by default MyBB makes you manually + or - rep a post or user by typing in a reason, so if we wanted to "slow down" giving rep, we can just disable our plugin and make users type a reason for giving rep points.
[Image: Reputation_rate.png]
~snip~
This seems like a good idea but I can just see people putting shitpost reasons and copy and pasting useless stuff in the comment section. Honestly, I think the best way to handle forum rep would be to limit the amount of reputation users can give daily. I think a daily limit of the amount of rep allowed to take away or give should be limited. Of course that kinda sucks but I think that’s a little better than having the reputation system disabled entirely. Plus, we don’t need to be giving so much rep around anyways. I only come on here a few times to give rep or take away rep from people that really deserve it. Rep means nothing if everyone can give an infinite amount of rep to easily manipulate rep, so I believe that once it becomes limited it will become more valuable and hopefully people will start using their ability to -1 or +1 people more carefully. 

Sorry if this seems all over the place, I’m tired and typing this in my phone xD
[Image: 955ef7a32696f2e506ea3319fcb5017a.png][Image: Banned-Gravity-Small.jpg]
Resigned prop hunt trusted 4/16/2021 - 1/1/2022 <3
Again, internet points yada yada, certainly a minor aspect with respect to the content posted herein.
But I like aethy's idea as a temporary measure if the web team needs more time to better define the rules for rep usage.

also
(11-03-2021, 06:19 PM)Mother Nuru. Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 06:16 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: -snip-
-snip-
BUT OFC THIS IS ALL JUST MY OPINION FEEL FREE TO IGNORE OR JUST SAY SHUT UP NURU
SHUT UP NURU
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
Well I always liked giving +1 on the post instead of commenting on the therad.

Like everyone said just make it to where u can only upvote and no downvote  .

Like I agree russ last post but I have to comment instead of +1 ing lmaoo.
(11-03-2021, 12:33 AM)RussEfarmer Wrote: Something I've mentioned at least a few times is a system CompactGamers used that let you react to posts with tags like Creative, Useful, Agree, Disagree, Like, Dislike, Funny, etc. and it added a lot to their forums:

[Image: unknown.png?width=616&height=247]

Why is there even a discussion when this exists?
  • More substance than +1/-1. It's actual feedback, but little and tiny and small.
  • Names are visible, so there's no anonymity. If you're being petty, everyone can see it right on the post.
  • This would make opinions on staff applications and suggestions visible at a glance. Not to replace responses, just to give a more concise way to show how the post is doing.
  • It could help motivate people to make higher-quality posts. While there's plenty of room to shitpost with this feature, there's also a lot more warmth and encouragement possible with a reaction than there is with a number.
and the best part in my opinion...
  • I get the feeling almost no one would agree with this, but I think wiping the leaderboards and starting from square one before implementing a different system would be a good thing. It would probably be the best way to keep a rep system while making callout posts significantly less satisfying for those who have consistently made and participated in them. It will also be a good way to encourage more activity from people who are newer to the forums.
[Image: IBmuAn7.jpeg]