Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PH training suggestion
I have an interesting proposition for upper staff.  Make the overflow server a training ground for Donors and new entry Trusted.  Hear me out. I have seen a pretty fair share of donor abuse threads on the forums along with Trusted maybe not knowing exactly what they are to do when a server gets out of hand and there isn't a Mod or T-Mod able to get on.  Since the overflow server doesn't really get played on (at least what I've seen), maybe we could use that to our advantage.  We staff could train Donors and entry level Trusteds how to use their powers correctly, how to spot ghosters, hackers, and other rule breakers, get them set up with the recommended binds, and other things so they don't feel overwhelmed when they face these things on the main server.  I know from experience that I learn better when I have a hands-on approach (for lack of a better term) then just having a lecture about what I'm supposed to do and then say "good luck out there".  I would really like to hear what staff members have to say about this.  I really think it would be a good idea and would foster better Donors and Trusted members.
LET ME IN.
[Image: The_Fiend_2.jpg]
I thought ph trained their new staff? I'm also a hard no for donors receiving training staff-like training as they aren't staff and not every donor wants to staff
[Image: J6yUs0g]
Donors aren’t staff. If they want to use powers as staff and have training on how to do so they should become staff.

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
ttt is just trial by fire
(11-06-2021, 09:22 PM)matt_st3 (Strongrule) Wrote: Donors aren’t staff. If they want to use powers as staff and have training on how to do so they should become staff.
I mean that we could show them the correct way and time to use their gag and mute abilities so as to decrease the amount of donor abuse threads I see on the forums.  I know that donors aren't staff, but I have seen donors abuse their powers and have them taken away because they don't care to use them properly.
LET ME IN.
[Image: The_Fiend_2.jpg]
Donors needs  traning for how to use mute gag commands etc ? No, just read the donor guidelines properly and you'll be fine.

(11-06-2021, 09:15 PM)happy Wrote:  I'm also a hard no for donors receiving training staff-like training as they aren't staff and not every donor wants to staff
^
Donors should not receive training other than the donor guidelines that tells them what not to do. If they aren't comfortable doing some things because of a lack of training then they shouldn't do them. They get the rank to acknowledge that they supported the server financially, not to be diet trusted.

Now way back in ancient times when I was staff, it was rare to be the only staff online unless it was like 2am. When a new trusted was promoted, more senior members of staff, admins, and even the co-owner would stay on with the new trusted for the first couple weeks, and the trusted would either ask questions about what to do, or the senior staff members would say what to do in adminchat.

(11-06-2021, 09:12 PM)[test] mattquake11 Wrote: I know from experience that I learn better when I have a hands-on approach (for lack of a better term) then just having a lecture about what I'm supposed to do and then say "good luck out there".

Yes "the lecture" is annoying but there isn't really a better way of doing it unless someone made a youtube tutorial or something. I'm not sure how well this is done today since I'm not staff, but this is why following up after "the lecture" by having senior staff hold your hand through the learning process is so important; you don't just get dumped into it with a bunch of unpracticed information, you actually have someone helping you think critically and getting you into the groove before you're fully autonomous.

And again donors shouldn't get this. They are donors. The only reason they have commands is to mute the guy screaming racial slurs at 4am when no staff are on. They aren't staff. I'm a donor, I use commands (I spam kick hackers even when armchair mods in discord say not to, you're welcome casual players), but the last thing I would want to do is enforce rules I don't really like.
I understand where you are coming from when you approach this idea. I can already see Russ, Matt and others ready to complain about the powers that donors have already as if I can do something about it. The issue with most of the donors is that you speak of that abuse or do something wrong generally by donor to abuse it when they can.

The training is not a bad idea but the majority of abuse comes from toxicity or lack of common sense. It is common sense not to ungag someone that staff gag. It is especially common sense not to kick random players or even kick staff since Dink has never fixed who individuals can target with their powers. People who do genuine mistakes are easily understandable and learn how to react to issues by watching other staff and make sure to not use their powers when staff are on.

I know just like me, when you received your rank, and had to learn via trial by fire many times. That is why the staff training rank has been made. I believe this has overall worked from looking at the new wave of staff that have come since the staff trainer role has been created. Through a selective process of becoming staff as well as training from the staff trainers and other staff, very little to any accident or abuses have occurred. There has not been very few, if any, staff abuse reports that have been legitimate over the last year or so.

Getting donors, unselected randoms from the internet to cooperate for "training" sessions on a server they did not buy donor for is going to be more difficult than you can imagine. Some bought the rank to just support the server, they are under no obligation to EVER use their powers nor listen to any training they would receive. In a perfect world, this idea would work well. However, since anyone at anytime can purchase the donor rank, it would be difficult to tell who did or who did not receive adequate training. Also, donors are not staff and there will always be a small percentage that abuse. No matter how much training or teachings there are will stop that. We react to the donors that we have at the times of abuse. We give them the donor guidelines and we make it clear they are not to abuse. Then we go from there.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
(11-06-2021, 10:05 PM)TheUltraFish Wrote: I can already see Russ, Matt and others ready to complain about the powers that donors have already as if I can do something about it
[Image: 32-324680_like-emoji-smiley-face-thumbs-up.png]
"Thank you for your generous donation!"

"...now get ready for boot camp, motherfucker."

<my headcanon for how your suggestion will play out>
[Image: IBmuAn7.jpeg]