Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for the Forums
so this is just a fancy way of saying you're bad at using your backspace key?

Nah jk - I personally like having the quote available because I forget my train of thought so fucking fast because I have a million and ten things I want to say. But I do think it could use a bit of a revamp, but to what? Fucked if I know.
Go away
People just forget to snip their stuff lmao, If they're not highlighting points/sentences or replying to specific parts then it should be a requirement to snip the quote if the quote is large enough.
TTT Staff | Mod Blush  9/15/21 - 11/12/21, 10/28/22 - 3/16/2023, 11/9/2023 -

Never Forget

TV GIRL

[Image: 4wmnJmh.jpg]
(01-03-2022, 06:25 PM)Not Real Didn't Happen Wrote: I'm a little confused as to what the heck we are talking about... does this not make perfect sense

It does, but what I don't like is how it automatically brings up the entire quote when you hit Reply. If it is going to do that, a spoiler tag should be added to help improve legibility. 

I might have not been completely clear on that like I thought I was, but that's my issue. The problem is most people aren't courteous and do NOT clean up the quote, that's why I think that there could be a way to improve this through the action of either NOT having the reply button automatically quote someone, or by having it snip it through recoding. Does that make better sense as to what I am trying to say?

(01-03-2022, 11:07 PM)Here lies Eggroll's reputation. Wrote: I didn't read the text wall but I assume this is about long ass quotes. My solution is just snipping the long ass quote just like most people do. Or if matt could edit the code for quotes to be marked as spoilers then that'd be amazing but for this most part, snipping quotes/reply's to posts seems to be the way to go for now. aaa

Sir, that was barely enough to be 2 paragraphs that I spaced out because I prefer to avoid writing in a single-spaced format; yes, I understand people can snip but that doesn't mean everyone does it. Especially when someone who's not familiar with this site. There are people who come on here and don't know how it works, shocking I know or who just are not going to take the time to snip the quotes and that causes issues.  You're giving people too much benefit of the doubt; you considered what I just wrote a wall, so your expectation that people will just snip quotes is ironic with all due respect.

(01-04-2022, 11:31 AM)Damien Wrote: People just forget to snip their stuff lmao, If they're not highlighting points/sentences or replying to specific parts then it should be a requirement to snip the quote if the quote is large enough.

Adding another rule for people to regulate just causes more of a headache; besides, how would they enforce this in a reasonable way? It'd just be a pain in the ass for Matt and Travis, who already get a bunch of shit for when they give out warnings/strikes for shitposting on here. 

So closing statement; I should've reworded the initial statement better. There was confusion as to what I was talking about; I used "quote feature" too broadly when I meant that I just wanted it to stop automatically quoting when I hit reply on a thread. Just so we're all on the same page about that. It seems that it is possible to rehash this to either remove that from when you hit reply, or to program it to add a spoiler tag. If removing it would be an easier venue, then I say just do that and keep the "quote" button so if someone wants to quote them, they still can. 

If there's anything else you don't understand or want me to clarify on, just let me know.
(01-04-2022, 11:41 AM)David Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 06:25 PM)Not Real Didn't Happen Wrote: I'm a little confused as to what the heck we are talking about... does this not make perfect sense

It does, but what I don't like is how it automatically brings up the entire quote when you hit Reply. If it is going to do that, a spoiler tag should be added to help improve legibility. 

I might have not been completely clear on that like I thought I was, but that's my issue. The problem is most people aren't courteous and do NOT clean up the quote, that's why I think that there could be a way to improve this through the action of either NOT having the reply button automatically quote someone, or by having it snip it through recoding. Does that make better sense as to what I am trying to say?

Yeah that makes more sense specifically, definitely really annoying when someone is replying to only a specific part of a post but quote the whole thing. I've always gotten into the habit of replying but selecting and backspacing what I don't care about out.. not really to be more courteous to users but it just makes a lot more sense reading it when everything is relevant
Having it like reddit where you can collapse reply chains would be nice
You may not like it but we're still a lot better off than some forums.. a lot of forums I've been on don't even have PAGES, you'd have a 150 post like thread and have to scroll through the whole thing to find a post you want
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide