Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
+rep
I miss the rep system a lot, and there are lots of good solutions and ideas to implement to bring the rep system back but make it easier on the web staff. I miss +1ing comments I liked or agreed with and -1ing comments I disagreed with / didn't like. One issue I did find with the -1ing tho was people asking why id -1ed them, Like mate, it's just a rep thing on a GMOD server forums page, not like it's going on your resume. Just because I -1ed a post didn't mean I didn't like the person, I just either disagreed with what they said or I didn't like what was said and I think that's where the -1 rep thing is misused, if your -1ing the post just because you don't like the person regardless of the text in the post, that's misusing the system.

Some ideas I have for the rep solution,  these are all spitball ideas and definitely need tuning so don't -1 me, wait never mind. ( Sorry if any are rehashed from previous threads)

1)  Minimum Forum time to add rep IE forum accounts need to be a set age for them to use the reputation functions, IE 2 weeks or 1 month (Most trolls will be gone never to return by then)
2) Limit of -1s daily (Either a set figure overall or per person per day)
3) Redo the rules and punishments for the forums (Harsher punishments for those dogpile threads)
4) Open up for more forum staff ( Many hands make light work)

There are so many good ideas for ways to bring back the forum reputation system both on this thread and https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...?tid=15363 from Russ, Rand, Chellman, and Aethy but the best part is you don't have to just implement one, you can implement however many are needed and tweak them how you like.  

The Reputation system was overall a fun and interesting part of the forums, yes it was misused, but I think that it should return.

In the previous thread, Travis and Matt were saying that it would be disabled until they figure out a way to properly moderate it, so I was wondering how our forum staff are going with it and what they are trialling and working on to bring it back?
Kaptain Les
TTT Mod
Discord Admin
PH Helper
DR Player
Murder Hater
[Image: otzEX]
Fuck G-Cubed
[Image: he-man-background-1.gif]
(01-14-2022, 06:35 PM)KaptainLes Wrote: In the previous thread, Travis and Matt were saying that it would be disabled until they figure out a way to properly moderate it, so I was wondering how our forum staff are going with it and what they are trialling and working on to bring it back?

Talking in terms of moderation, the report button does absolutely nothing.. I complained about this a while back but nothing happened. Why not fix it and give people chance to report rep themselves? No need to search for mass -1s manually when the user can just report the rep, should make moderating that easier. If you wanted to get more advanced you could send an email to the admin when a bunch of -1s get submitted in a short time.. I'm not familiar with MyBB's backend but php has a super easy email function.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
+rep
former admin2
Ngl fixing the report button sounds like it might help too so I agree with Russ on that front.
Haha I agree

-rep
CONSUME THE RICH ☭

o7 A Farewell to Arms o7

Eat shit and live Damien…..

“I was in a butcher shop once and a pig’s head told me that God and the Devil killed each other a long time ago” -Evan Kelmp

+rep : ) Nov. 02 2021 - June 5th 2022

what in the god damn

Not a scar on his back...
Leave Rep Gone

It's been Nice with it gone.
I liked the option of showing support without adding when i feel there is anothing i can. For example I would have liked to +1 mini and hong responses on the jp thread.
[Image: J6yUs0g]
I personally couldn't care less about internet points. That being said rep does give a decent chance for organized/standardized feedback on important discussions. The issue I was having occurred when the mass downvotes began - I remember getting downvoted 3 on one post for posting a steam ID.

That being said, the forums are here for community discussion about important issues, not drama with which to entertain oneself by. Drama is sure to occur, but we need to make sure it remains reasonable.

It's funny how drama posts seem to have died down given the loss of rep.

Overall, maybe adding +rep only may be a good compromise, but it isn't worth the sweat and tears for an unpaid admin to reimpose the full rep for the moment.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
Based on how I plan to schedule some of the updates for the coming months, the end of February will be when I review this subject. March would be when I implement any change.
I won’t outright say no, as the feedback I received was split far to fully deny the idea, but based on my own opinion, the opinions of many of the older members and “higher ups” the rep system has caused many issues over the years. Due to its removal and few other circumstance the forums have calmed down a lot. Dead? No. We did see a dip around the holidays but the only thing missing has been the “forum drama” many seem to love.
I do miss the ability to quickly leave feedback without having to rub my two braincells together, but I do not miss the nonsense surrounding it. Multiple times I would spend hours over the span of a few days hunting down individual mass spams, or have to review and settle some argument, or worse watch a mass downvote happen and know that if I handle it how I felt it should be would make the review system subjective based on feeling. We shall see

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
I would definitely argue that the lack of drama posts is more to do with the lack of drama than the rep system being gone. Nothing has really happened since that last incident that's big enough to warrant any large-scale drama. The amount of time between that piece of drama and the one before that was a good many months, too, so I don't think correlation can be definitively inferred based on that. I do definitely think less people just commonly get on and browse the forums and engage as much, save for a few threads here and there, but obviously I have no analytics to base that off.

I do understand the negatives of rep manipulation, but I don't really get the issue with mass -1s, in terms of rules or...ethics, I guess? Like if many people disagree with something, it'll get -1s, and that's generally what's happening. If it's all on the same post and not breaking off into every single thing someone says or going back to previous posts, I just don't really get the issue. But I probably do have a bigger separation between feelings online versus actual feelings than some so that might just be a me thing, but being mass -1'd never really made me feel much in the negative. It's probably just one of those things that rands don't understand, but I just feel like it should just let to do its thing without really needing moderated unless someone outwardly complains, either on their behalf or someone else's, but that's just my opinion on it. Since there isn't actual words being expressed by someone when they -1, I guess it just feels like focusing on it more than when someone complains would be just busy work more than anything.

this entire response is a mess idk what im saying im tired -rep
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)