Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
+rep
(01-15-2022, 01:45 PM)bunniey Wrote: I would definitely argue that the lack of drama posts is more to do with the lack of drama than the rep system being gone. Nothing has really happened since that last incident that's big enough to warrant any large-scale drama. The amount of time between that piece of drama and the one before that was a good many months, too, so I don't think correlation can be definitively inferred based on that. I do definitely think less people just commonly get on and browse the forums and engage as much, save for a few threads here and there, but obviously I have no analytics to base that off.

I do understand the negatives of rep manipulation, but I don't really get the issue with mass -1s, in terms of rules or...ethics, I guess? Like if many people disagree with something, it'll get -1s, and that's generally what's happening. If it's all on the same post and not breaking off into every single thing someone says or going back to previous posts, I just don't really get the issue. But I probably do have a bigger separation between feelings online versus actual feelings than some so that might just be a me thing, but being mass -1'd never really made me feel much in the negative. It's probably just one of those things that rands don't understand, but I just feel like it should just let to do its thing without really needing moderated unless someone outwardly complains, either on their behalf or someone else's, but that's just my opinion on it. Since there isn't actual words being expressed by someone when they -1, I guess it just feels like focusing on it more than when someone complains would be just busy work more than anything.

this entire response is a mess idk what im saying im tired -rep
The correlation I’m drawing is based on the people who have been active since; like I said it’s multiple aspects at play. Many of the same people that caused the most headache with the system happen to also argue for it and have been absent. Not to include the one off idiots that made up the majority of mass -1 regardless of who it was. Also not to say that those present arguing for it are among that grouping, but rather to say that many of our dramatic members have been silent from other issues and the fact that there is less to keep them around. I don’t say that the rep system gone means less drama threads, but that several changes were made including the removal of the rep system that both prevents them from causing issues and takes some of the incentives out of it.

I’d have to look at some of the analytics to be sure, as I have not this month, but initially there was not a major change to the actual activity of the forum, more so a drop in posting from several regulars and a drop for the holidays. I do not think the removal of the rep system is dropping out activity, but a fair argument is that the forums are moving away from the social center of dinks. The discord has a set team and many new additions that bolster it, while also the new players are not used to forums as much these days. Social apps dominate the communication now so discord is a natural social draw. Take into account to that many steps and changes I have made are to structure the formal side of the forums, which is what I picture as the site’s main purpose these days. That said, I have noticed a pleasant uptick in members from non ttt servers and a lot of positive feedback to threads I would have previously expected to be trolled. 

Any argument beginning with “well I don’t feel this way so it must not be” holds little value in my eyes. There are always multiple sides to events, and to discount a view because you aren’t part of it is folly. I will continue to take in all views for another month before bringing the topic up the admins again, tho I cannot ignore what I and others see as positive movement for the forums as much as I cannot ignore the views that miss the rep system. Many people use it differently, and some have used it to negatively impact the community or as positive feedback to their negativity. I will weigh them all with admins as best I can, from here the poll and elsewhere.

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
All right so let me use my last surviving braincell while it's still breathing

How about we just implement the +rep and not include -rep instead making the person do a coherent and reasonable reply on why they aren't in agreement with those who make the thread.  This way if a -rep has to be given a admin could manipulate it instead of just having random spammers that don't like a specific person.  

Will this probably give more work to those who administer the forum? Yes, it could if they have to go thread by thread looking into any reply with "-rep" in it.

But is it a more controlled option?  In my opinion yes.  With only a small amount of people being able to lower your rep if needed it means that your rep won't be going up and down like a linear graph.

Is it a dumb idead? Well perhaps but that's just something that came to mind
[Image: unknown.png]
Having the top 3 rep internet points I can say that I miss seeing the pretty large number under my name, but it has saved a lot of headache since it got removed. There actually have been instances of drama since the last issue, but seems people quit posting things because they can’t farm imaginary internet points (is what I think) and feign the fact that they actually do “care.” Not calling out anyone in particular, but it was quite easy to get 50 rep from just ripping at the person that the drama filled thread was against.
Sorry I didn't have the time to read all three pages of responses but I seriously think that the forum team should pull a YouTube and remove the dislike (downvote) button. It would be better to just have a like button to add to our rep instead of giving people the ability to minus rep people. It is smart and although it seems pointless I think it's a better solution than having no rep system at all. Not that I really care about rep but this is what I think is a "good solution" at least for now to see how it goes.
[Image: 955ef7a32696f2e506ea3319fcb5017a.png][Image: Banned-Gravity-Small.jpg]
Resigned prop hunt trusted 4/16/2021 - 1/1/2022 <3
(01-15-2022, 04:43 PM)Here lies Eggroll's reputation. Wrote: Sorry I didn't have the time to read all three pages of responses but I seriously think that the forum team should pull a YouTube and remove the dislike (downvote) button. It would be better to just have a like button to add to our rep instead of giving people the ability to minus rep people. It is smart and although it seems pointless I think it's a better solution than having no rep system at all. Not that I really care about rep but this is what I think is a "good solution" at least for now to see how it goes.
I hated when YouTube did that shit lol. On here I could care less if the dislike got remove tho tbh
youtube removed showing dislikes
i made a thing
i made another thing
i made a new thing

former ttt mod
former dr admin
Staff 2017-2023
(01-15-2022, 06:55 PM)dero Wrote: youtube removed showing dislikes
Exactly. Removing the minus rep button effecting users rep seems like a good solution to me. If Matt could change the minus 1 button to not effect users rep then it would be perfect to me. There's no need to have a minus rep button if people are just going to constantly abuse it.
[Image: 955ef7a32696f2e506ea3319fcb5017a.png][Image: Banned-Gravity-Small.jpg]
Resigned prop hunt trusted 4/16/2021 - 1/1/2022 <3
Inb4 Matt warns me for shitposting but I think we need more drama to drive forum engagement. QUICK SOMEONE EDATE.
The local Sega & Sonic fanatic.
[Image: JCMB8GH.jpeg]
Pauling brought up an incredibly solid point about the rep system that I do ultimately miss; people don't take the time to read all the responses people make anyway (Looking at you, Eggroll) so it was easy to tell what was worth reading and what wasn't. It also saved me time from having to add 2 cents if someone else ALREADY said what I had said. Something that's occurred that is definitely good because of its removal is that people have to actually EXPLAIN things rather than simply clicking +rep for someone, but again, the rep system had its benefits. I think what Kaptain said in terms of changing some of the things (IF IT IS FEASIBLE and not a major headache for those of you who actually know how to code) would make the rep system usable. That's my 2 cents on this matter.

Oh yeah, and the whole "internet points" argument is just comical; I'm with Rand on that, I never have understood why people care about their rep as if it's a life or death scenario. To be fair though, I did have someone go -1 every single one of my posts and take me down 300 something rep, so maybe my opinion on that is invalid
(01-15-2022, 09:44 PM)Battons Wrote: Inb4 Matt warns me for shitposting but I think we need more drama to drive forum engagement. QUICK SOMEONE EDATE.

have i ever told you that you have amazing and quirky taste in retro games *winks like i have an eye disorder*

actual post so i dont get moderation nazi'd to death: forums have pretty much no (interesting) content these days, but that also means no drama so its a plus i guess

the main prerogative for forums has been making it more and more dry and unenjoyable, even since i first joined the community but i highly doubt rep will accomplish anything, and i say that as someone who greatly enjoyed making a 6 word response post and seeing a lovely little +15 rep on it