Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MLK Day
This upcoming Monday is MLK day, thus I found it appropriate to start a thread about him. Sharing some quotes or anything you'd like about the day/man himself would be nice Heart

Here's 10 Facts You May Not Have Know About Martin Luther King Jr.:
  1. His birth name was actually Michael, not Martin! born Michael King Jr. on January 15, 1929. In 1934, however, his father, a pastor at Atlanta’s Ebenezer Baptist Church, traveled to Germany and became inspired by the Protestant Reformation leader Martin Luther. As a result, King Sr. changed his own name as well as that of his five-year-old son.
  2. He entered college at 15 yrs old! King was such a gifted student that he skipped grades nine and 12 before enrolling in 1944 at Morehouse College, the alma mater of his father and maternal grandfather. Although he was the son, grandson and great-grandson of Baptist ministers, King did not intend to follow the family vocation until Morehouse president Benjamin E. Mays, a noted theologian, convinced him otherwise. King was ordained before graduating college with a degree in sociology.
  3. He Received his doctorate in Systematic Theology After earning a divinity degree from Pennsylvania’s Crozer Theological Seminary, King attended graduate school at Boston University, where he received his Ph.D. degree in 1955. The title of his dissertation was “A Comparison of the Conceptions of God in the Thinking of Paul Tillich and Henry Nelson Wieman.”
  4. His "I Have A Dream" speech was not his first time at Lincoln Memorial. Six years before his iconic oration at the March on Washington, King was among the civil rights leaders who spoke in the shadow of the Great Emancipator during the Prayer Pilgrimage for Freedom on May 17, 1957. Before a crowd estimated at between 15,000 and 30,000, King delivered his first national address on the topic of voting rights. His speech, in which he urged America to “give us the ballot,” drew strong reviews and positioned him at the forefront of the civil rights leadership.
  5. He was imprisoned nearly 30 times. According to the King Center, the civil rights leader went to jail 29 times. He was arrested for acts of civil disobedience and on trumped-up charges, such as when he was jailed in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1956 for driving 30 miles per hour in a 25-mile-per-hour zone.
  6. He narrowly escaped an assassination attempt a decade before his death. On September 20, 1958, King was in Harlem signing copies of his new book, Stride Toward Freedom, in Blumstein’s department store when he was approached by Izola Ware Curry. The woman asked if he was Martin Luther King Jr. After he said yes, Curry said, “I’ve been looking for you for five years,” and she plunged a seven-inch letter opener into his chest. The tip of the blade came to rest alongside his aorta, and King underwent hours of delicate emergency surgery. Surgeons later told King that just one sneeze could have punctured the aorta and killed him. From his hospital bed where he convalesced for weeks, King issued a statement affirming his nonviolent principles and saying he felt no ill will toward his mentally ill attacker.
  7. His last public speech foretold his death. King had come to Memphis in April 1968 to support the strike of the city’s Black garbage workers, and in a speech on the night before his assassination, he told an audience at Mason Temple Church: “Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I’m not concerned about that now … I’ve seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. And I’m happy tonight. I’m not worried about anything. I’m not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”
  8. Members of his family do not believe that James Earl Ray acted alone. Ray, a career criminal, pled guilty to King’s assassination but later recanted. King’s son Dexter met publicly with Ray in 1997 and argued for the case to be reopened. King’s widow, Coretta, believed the Mafia and local, state and federal government agencies were deeply involved in the murder. She praised the result of a 1999 civil trial in which a Memphis jury decided the assassination was the result of a conspiracy and that Ray was set up to take the blame. A U.S. Department of Justice investigation released in 2000 reported no evidence of a conspiracy.
  9. His mother was also slain by a bullet. On June 30, 1974, as 69-year-old Alberta Williams King played the organ at a Sunday service inside Ebenezer Baptist Church, Marcus Wayne Chenault Jr. rose from the front pew, drew two pistols and began to fire shots. One of the bullets struck and killed King, who died steps from where her son had preached nonviolence. The deranged gunman said that Christians were his enemy and that although he had received divine instructions to kill King’s father, who was in the congregation, he killed King’s mother instead because she was closer. The shooting also left a church deacon dead. Chenault received a death penalty sentence that was later changed to life imprisonment, in part due to the King family’s opposition to capital punishment.
  10. George Washington and Abraham Lincoln Are the Only Other Americans to Have Had Their Birthdays Observed as a National Holiday. In 1983 President Ronald Reagan signed a bill that created a federal holiday to honor King. The holiday, first commemorated in 1986, is celebrated on the third Monday in January, close to the civil rights leader’s January 15 birthday.
Source:
ttps://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-martin-luther-king-jr Heart
Pure of Heart  Heart Dumb of Ass :P
this is a beautiful thread, I love this. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
"True peace is not merely the absence of tension. It is the presence of justice"

"It is not possible to be in favor of justice for some people and not be in favor of justice for all people."

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

"History will have to record the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved i it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

"A riot is the language of the unheard. Our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay."

(01-14-2022, 08:09 PM)Salty Wrote: this is a beautiful thread, I love this. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Thank you so much. Of course, it's the least I can do. Heart
(01-14-2022, 08:09 PM)Salty Wrote: this is a beautiful thread, I love this. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
You got that right, I love this and would like more threads like these
[Image: unknown.png]
dope
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
(01-14-2022, 08:57 PM)[test]Wilfry Wrote:

Thank you so much! I'll try to post some more threads similar to these as time goes on  :D Heart

(01-14-2022, 10:28 PM)bunniey Wrote: dope
thank you! :D

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Be a bush if you can’t be a tree. If you can’t be a highway, just be a trail. If you can’t be a sun, be a star. For it isn’t by size that you win or fail. Be the best of whatever you are.”

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.’”

[i]Everybody can be great because everybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.”[/i]

We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there ‘is’ such a thing as being too late. This is no time for apathy or complacency. This is a time for vigorous and positive action.”

“No person has the right to rain on your dreams.”

I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.”

We must learn that passively to accept an unjust system is to cooperate with that system, and thereby to become a participant in its evil.”

We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers.”
Couldnt agree more
[Image: D6E0C93A-D285-4C99-B7AB-C616869240B2.jpg...2d0fbf6a9&][Image: 86DBE62D-5EE5-47F0-9E4C-DE5FA0541D5B.jpg...d2ef8e0e3&]
Ex- TTT Mod
Dong's Favorite Tmod
Wow this post is fantastic. So many good facts and quotes, and a lot of shit we should live by today. Shit, if only we learned all these lessons. Thanks for making this, Rose!
[Image: ErQ4M8K.jpg] 
I share my birthday with him!

Thank you so much for sharing this post!
Go away
(01-15-2022, 12:13 AM)Wrom Wrote:
Couldnt agree more

Thank you! Heart

(01-15-2022, 12:55 AM)August Wrote: Wow this post is fantastic. So many good facts and quotes, and a lot of shit we should live by today. Shit, if only we learned all these lessons. Thanks for making this, Rose!
Thank you so much! Right? I think a perfect show of how our gov and society works is that a "MLK Day" was created to celebrate him but the oppressive system he was fighting wasn't even touched. Anything to appease the people enough that they'll stop fighting back. I wish more people would've actually taken to heart what he said instead of using his non violent and peaceful quotes to fit their narrative against the issues we have today. You're so welcome! I'm going to continue to add to it

"Peace is not merely the absence of tension. Peace is the presence of justice."-MLK

(01-15-2022, 01:15 AM)MissPauling Wrote: I share my birthday with him!

Thank you so much for sharing this post!
That's awesome! Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day Heart  You're so welcome! thank ya'll for reading!

Here's Some of Dr. King's Most Important Achievements:
  1. In 1955, he was recruited to serve as spokesman for the Montgomery Bus Boycott, which was a campaign by the African-American population of Montgomery, Alabama to force integration of the city’s bus lines. After 381 days of nearly universal participation by citizens of the black community, many of whom had to walk miles to work each day as a result, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that racial segregation in transportation was unconstitutional.
  2. In 1957, Dr. King was elected president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), an organization designed to provide new leadership for the now burgeoning civil rights movement. He would serve as head of the SCLC until his assassination in 1968, a period during which he would emerge as the most important social leader of the modern American civil rights movement.
  3. In 1963, he led a coalition of numerous civil rights groups in a nonviolent campaign aimed at Birmingham, Alabama, which at the time was described as the “most segregated city in America.” The subsequent brutality of the city’s police, illustrated most vividly by television images of young blacks being assaulted by dogs and water hoses, led to a national outrage resulting in a push for unprecedented civil rights legislation. It was during this campaign that Dr. King drafted the “Letter from a Birmingham Jail,” the manifesto of Dr. King’s philosophy and tactics, which is today required-reading in universities worldwide.
  4. Later in 1963, Dr. King was one of the driving forces behind the March for Jobs and Freedom, more commonly known as the “March on Washington,” which drew over a quarter-million people to the national mall. It was at this march that Dr. King delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech, which cemented his status as a social change leader and helped inspire the nation to act on civil rights. Dr. King was later named Time magazine’s “Man of the Year.”
  5. In 1964, at 35 years old, Martin Luther King, Jr. became the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize. His acceptance speech in Oslo is thought by many to be among the most powerful remarks ever delivered at the event, climaxing at one point with the oft-quoted phrase “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant.”
  6. Also in 1964, partly due to the March on Washington, Congress passed the landmark Civil Rights Act, essentially eliminating legalized racial segregation in the United States. The legislation made it illegal to discriminate against blacks or other minorities in hiring, public accommodations, education or transportation, areas which at the time were still very segregated in many places.
  7. The next year, 1965, Congress went on to pass the Voting Rights Act, which was an equally-important set of laws that eliminated the remaining barriers to voting for African-Americans, who in some locales had been almost completely disenfranchised. This legislation resulted directly from the Selma to Montgomery, AL March for Voting Rights lead by Dr. King.
    Source:https://thekingcenter.org/about-tkc/martin-luther-king-jr/

Here Are Six Organizations Carrying On Dr. King's Legacy:
  1. Moms Demand Action. When it comes to groups women’s activism and service as a core focus, there's a long list of organizations to consider, including the League of Women Voters, Moms Clean Air Force and Zonta International. But as we reflected on King’s legacy of advancing social progress through nonviolence, we decided to showcase Moms Demand Action. When taking in the fact that gun violence in the U.S. keeps occurring with growing frequency, and our current ways of tackling this horror are not resulting in any changes for the better, we believe this group, which advocates for common-sense public safety measures, is worthy of individual and corporate support. https://momsdemandaction.org/
  2. Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival. This campaign takes its cue from one of King’s last planned initiatives before he was assassinated in April 1968. Like the one King was intent on pursuing, the Poor People’s Campaign seeks to confront problems including systemic racism, poverty, and environmental degradation in an attempt to give a voice to poor and marginalized communities. Activists working within this movement launched two successful initiatives during the summers of 2018 and 2019; this summer, with the 2020 election in mind, the Poor People’s Campaign plans to broaden its work to reach what it describes as the 140 million Americans who experience, or are at risk for, discrimination, financial struggles or environmental injustice on a daily basis. https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/
  3. RAICES Texas. Yes, there are still kids in cages, and too many (face it, one child is too many) spent Christmas in such conditions. But while this story has largely receded from news headlines, small but mighty RAICES is doing what it can to seek justice for people who are escaping violence and seeking a better life. The group has been fearless in calling out some of America’s most trusted brands, and is determined to harness what resources it can to provide free or low-cost legal services to immigrant families while fighting for migrant’s rights. https://www.raicestexas.org/
  4. Southern Poverty Law Center. Violent hate crimes have been increasing over the past few years here in the U.S. For almost half a century, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has been monitoring hate groups, in addition to  promoting tolerance through various education programs. https://www.splcenter.org/what-we-do
  5. Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), which dates back to King’s leadership and victory with the Montgomery Bus Boycott of 1957, is still going strong as it grooms young leaders to this day. The SCLC’s various chapters across the U.S. take on various social challenges, including leading the fight against injustice, boosting voter registration and ending human trafficking. https://nationalsclc.org/
  6. The Trevor Project. There is no shortage of nonprofits that seek to protect and secure human rights for the LGBTQ community. Which reminds us: As King’s wife, Coretta Scott King, continued his work, LGBTQ rights was among the many challenges for which she fought until she died in 2006. To that end, The Trevor Project stands out as it offers crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to at-risk LGBTQ youth. One focus for the organization is its “50 Bills, 50 States” campaign, which seeks to end the harmful practice of conversion therapy in every U.S. state. https://www.thetrevorproject.org/