Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The History Of Valentine's Day
Similar to most commonly celebrated holidays, Valentine's day is of Pagan origin. However, the original celebration is much different than the modern day celebration. Heart

Midwinter is a time of many ancient pagan celebrations surrounding fertility, cleansing and renewal. Valentine's Day specifically originates from a Roman pagan celebration of fertility, Lupercalia(Feb.15). A feast held shortly after Imbolc(Feb 1-2). But, as Christianity spread, Christians wanted to do away with Lupercalia and its traditions. Therefore, in the fifth century AD, Pope Gelasius I banned Lupercalia and in 496 AD the Catholic Church declared February 14 a day to feast and celebrate the life of the martyred Saint Valentine, said to have been executed on 14 February 269 AD.

Lupercalia was definitely not the cutesy celebration of love that it is today. It was a bloody sexually-charged celebration topped with animal sacrifice in hopes of warding off evil spirits and infertility. The festival began at Lupercal cave with the sacrifice of one or more male goats—a representation of sexuality—and a dog.

In Ancient Rome, feasting began after the ritual sacrifice. When the feast of Lupercal was over, the Luperci cut strips, also called thongs or februa, of goat hide from the newly-sacrificed goats.
They then ran naked or nearly-naked around Palantine whipping any woman within striking distance with the thongs. Many women welcomed the lashes and even bared their skin to receive the fertility rite; it’s open to speculation what the lashes represented.
During Lupercalia, the men randomly chose a woman’s name from a jar to be coupled with them for the duration of the festival. Often, the couple stayed together until the following year’s festival. Many fell in love and married.

Valentine’s Day uses some of Lupercalia’s symbols, intentionally or not, such as the color red which represented a blood sacrifice, blood of labor(specific to Imbolc) and fertility during Lupercalia and the color white which signified the milk used to wipe the blood clean and represents new life and procreation.

So however you decide to celebrate this day of love, I hope it brings you fertility(if that's your wish),cleansing and renewal. Blessed be lovebirds
Pure of Heart  Heart Dumb of Ass :P
If you were born in November, you were a valentines day mistake.
That is all.
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Good Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
(02-01-2022, 08:10 PM)Mana Wrote: If you were born in November, you were a valentines day mistake.
That is all.
LMFAO. I feel like you possibly have a personal vendetta against scorpios.XD
(02-01-2022, 08:43 PM)[black]Black[red]Rose1042 Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 08:10 PM)Mana Wrote: If you were born in November, you were a valentines day mistake.
That is all.

I do have one, against aquarius tho
[Image: unknown.png]
(02-01-2022, 08:43 PM)[black]Black[red]Rose1042 Wrote: LMFAO. I feel like you possibly have a personal vendetta against scorpios.XD
I was born in November.
Certified Mistake here.
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Good Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
(02-01-2022, 09:05 PM)[test]Wilfry Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 08:43 PM)[black]Black[red]Rose1042 Wrote:
That is all.

I do have one, against aquarius tho

Understandable lmao
more importantly, it's my birthday!
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
(02-01-2022, 10:03 PM)Foxka Wrote: more importantly, it's my birthday!
Happy Birthday! I hope you've had a wonderful day love Heart

(02-02-2022, 05:37 AM)Pep*Mint*Fluff Wrote: Happy early Valentines to you all <3
And happy early birthday to you Fox!
Happy Valentine's Day! I hope your day, as well as others, is full of love and all things good and sweet Heart
(02-01-2022, 10:03 PM)Foxka Wrote: more importantly, it's my birthday!
Fake Birthday *insert Lenny*
[Image: D6E0C93A-D285-4C99-B7AB-C616869240B2.jpg...2d0fbf6a9&][Image: 86DBE62D-5EE5-47F0-9E4C-DE5FA0541D5B.jpg...d2ef8e0e3&]
Ex- TTT Mod
Dong's Favorite Tmod
i like to celebrate the part where a bunch of gangsters mowed everyone down
[Image: rdm-corp-squarelogo-1446787792629.png]