Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips For Catching Ghosters?
So I've noticed there's been a lot of ghosters/hackers recently on PH. I'd like to know any tips on being able to spot them so I can record and report them.

I know the obvious ones.. friends being on the same team, VC ghosting, hunters repetitively beelining for props without really searching..

Thanks in advance for the tips Heart
Pure of Heart  Heart Dumb of Ass :P
Helpful threads.

To Prop Hunt Donors and Regs 

PH Donors Dealing with Ghosters 
I'm assuming that you mean friends being on opposite teams? I mean as far as ghosters it can be subtle or it can be very plainly obvious. 

If they aren't searching they just "know" somehow or if they're periodically going to exact locations on the map. Some hide it well and incorporate hunting with their ghosting, they will hunt around the area but randomly shoot them without really testing them that much. They just pretend/play it off. 

Generally higher than average scores will give it away while being on opposite teams that they're suspected for ghosting. This of course isn't always the case but it is a fairly common way to find out about them. 

That and new people finding I guess "sweatier" spots without much effort would be someone who is suspicious due to it being a spot that most upper leaderboard players would struggle to find or barely know about. 

Of course. This behavior would mainly come after their friend dies on the opposite team. If they suck at hunting while their friend is alive but suddenly turn into a super hunter when their friend dies, that would also be a good clue lol forgot to mention that. 

Generally good ghosting evidence can take 2 rounds or even the whole map, depending on how active they are. 

As far as hackers, there are a couple good tells to find out if they are or not. 

One of these tells being, do they have shake with the default weapons? The default smg, shotgun and magnum generally have no recoil when fired from a spectator point of view. If you see someone spray their gun and it looks like their entire screen is shaking then you can generally assume it's their aimbot. When you use an aimbot on Gmod it constantly shakes if it's a crappy one which is the more common aimbot. This would be an example of the shake that I mentioned. 

Other aimbots would be those that directly lock on to others. For example, a toggled aimbot can lock on to props through walls and if they're not careful with it, other Hunter's heads. 

There's also patterns of them beelining to props, trying to shoot through stuff like walls or destructible surfaces that you couldn't really possibly see through. This is showing a hacker that is beelining to props. When he jumps his auto aim freaks out. 

Hacking evidence generally takes 1 round if they're active or have obvious hacks like the videos posted above. Some can take longer if they're smarter about hiding it.
[Image: wattson-apex-legends.gif]
[Image: 6jCIuUl.gif]
I haven't done it in a long time but people that end up ghosting either do that typical bee-lining thing you're talking about because they dont really care, or they actually try to hide it a bit. Beelining is easy but the way you tell if someone is trying to hide it is if they'll move to a relatively small part of the map (like a room) and hover around there for 30ish seconds searching around, then find a guy. After they find them they'll stick around for another 15 seconds, then move on to another relatively small part of the map, and repeat. Normal hunting you see this pattern too where you move to a spot and search hard, then move way across the map and do it again, but the difference is if you're normally hunting without ghosting you usually wont find a guy in each spot.

For hacking, red flag is a guy getting kills with an SMG with good accuracy. Hitreg on prophunt is odd at best so it's hard to tell sometimes, but you can't always tell by a shake if someone has a paid hack client, instead what they'll do is have extremely good accuracy chasing down a smaller prop with something other than a shotgun. Being able to lead shots on a tin can moving 400mph consistently is usually a sign of hacking unless they otherwise show proficiency in source by demonstrating clean movement or good game sense (some people are just good, big mistake people make is forgetting that and worrying for no reason). ESP is another really common hack because its perfect for prophunt, it's similar to doing ghosting but a little bit easier because you can notice people doing little glances, and then ending up back there some time later and finding a prop.

Biggest piece of advice though that I see a lot of people don't do.. if you want to record ghosters or hackers, no matter how frustrating it is or how bad you want them off the server, CHILL TF OUT. Some people (including me at one point) make it their sole prerogative to eliminate every single hacker and ghoster from gmod. Spending hours upon hours slogging away at making evidence, documenting key points in videos, banging away in private messages talking about whats happening on the server.. its not a bad thing on its own, it's a pretty unique experience and can be pretty fun, but some people get REALLY worked up about it to the point of being audibly flustered in recordings, which is not healthy. If you want to record some ghosters, cool, but just chill out and do it at a pace you enjoy, don't act like there's a time constraint, don't stay on the server until 3:00am when you have work in 4 hours just because you're recording hackers, it literally doesn't matter. This is a hide and seek server built on a game from 2004, the world is gonna keep turning if you can't get enough evidence for a ban, or if you have to wait another day to post a ban request because you have something to do.
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
Eh, for me it's always been about behavior. Garry's Mod has been around long enough that people just know where to look so if you see someone racking up a high kill count, it doesn't mean they're immediately ghosting or hacking. They could just be good. I've been told many times in the past that people would watch me for the same reason, until they realize I'm just that decent.

When I mean behavior, you're mainly looking at how the person is conduction their search? Are they being thorough and are reasonably coming across people, or are they just walking up to folks and killing without discretion. It's not black and white but use your best judgement. I find that most ghosters are inexperienced with the game or with the map, so you'd generally see them bumbling around without a clue until they suddenly get smart and find someone who's hidden pretty damn well. That should set off red flags that they got their info with something other than their in-game eyes and ears.

It's not a 100% exact science, but if you see someone running about and something just doesn't feel right with how they play, it doesn't hurt to check them out. Pull their profile and check their friends if you can. If they're private, I look through their opposing team to see if any of them have the suspect in common. Use your best judgement of course, and if you ever need help, doesn't hurt to ask. You'll do just fine though, I'm sure!

Happy prop hunting!
[Image: ErQ4M8K.jpg]