Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk: The Status of Discord
To throw in a few things here. When I initially started this staff team, there was a staff guidelines to go with the expectations thread. I'm sure thats changed over time, but I would assume looking at some of the more current things on the forums, the same standards or similar guidelines still apply to moderating the Discord.

As for people wanting transparency in who's doing what and when for punishments/warnings, I think there are pros and cons to both sides, and this Discord Moderation guide on transparency written by and edited by a good team of people on Discord spells out those pros and cons well:
https://discord.com/moderation/360058646...Moderation

In my opinion, based on my experience moderating Discord servers, and former admin for the Discord here, I think there's a fine line in transparency. I don't mind punishments being handed out in public channels, however, public moderation logs is where I draw a line. In that article I posted, it talks about several important things, rule lawyers where people will take and use every single word as law forgetting about the spirit of the rules, as well as the potential for Moderator harassment. Further, I honestly think that it's nobody's business to worry about other people's punishments unless the person punished discloses the reason. That and it will become public through the punishment reason if done publicly or appeals anyways. That allows for the process to be maintained in any situation.

I will say, and I won't assume it does or does not happen here, but one thing moderators fail at in other communities is keeping things consistent. Consistency will make people question you more than anything else if it's not fair and equal in any punishment given. That's where I say a detailed guideline can help and hurt your staff. Same punishment for same crime, but thats a perfect world that won't happen.

Overall, I do agree people need to relax on Discord things. Intentionally stirring the pot will only make things worse off for everyone. The Discord is supposed to be a more relaxed version of the servers in its rules, but the more people try to push things, the more the rules will have to tighten up, and I dont think any of you want a strict rules server (they're not always fun to chat in and not fun to staff either).
Noot Noot ~(^-^)~
(05-31-2022, 06:55 PM)Avi Wrote: I don't mind punishments being handed out in public channels, however, public moderation logs is where I draw a line.

I don't think he was suggesting either of these. I believe he just wanted the staff member's name to be attached when a member receives a warning, but I could be wrong.

And I said this on the discord but I'll add it here. Shaye not receiving a DM from auttaja is through no fault of dink's staff. It's purely because the bot can't dm her if it doesn't share a server with her.
[Image: IBmuAn7.jpeg]
i cant find any positives to letting normal members see who administered a punishment over discord
(05-31-2022, 07:59 PM)Reina Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 06:55 PM)Avi Wrote: I don't mind punishments being handed out in public channels, however, public moderation logs is where I draw a line.

I don't think he was suggesting either of these. I believe he just wanted the staff member's name to be attached when a member receives a warning, but I could be wrong.

And I said this on the discord but I'll add it here. Shaye not receiving a DM from auttaja is through no fault of dink's staff. It's purely because the bot can't dm her if it doesn't share a server with her.

(05-31-2022, 08:07 PM)icey Wrote: i cant find any positives to letting normal members see who administered a punishment over discord

Allow me to clarify: I meant that the person who receives the strike/ban should receive that information via DM, I didn't mean a moderation log being public on the dinks gmod discord in a channel. My fault for not being clearer on this.

I understand that in order to do this, we would need to have a new bot moderating the discord, and to be honest, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I agree with Dong's point that he made about this only working if the community didn't treat the discord staff like shit, which honestly I don't get why they get put through that. They don't even do anything worth that treatment, it's completely unfair to them. 

I think that the only way to truly improve the quality of the discord is if both sides work to improve the quality. I simply was thinking of how to help the staffing side of things as I felt that is more controllable because we cannot magically change how people act, but we can instill guidelines that aren't necessarily strict but rather a proper training so they understood how to approach situations, if that makes any sense at all. 

This thread went in a different direction than I thought it would, but I really appreciate all of your input on this, as it is good to have these kinds of discussions. Thank you for your time.