• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DISCORD STAFF APP
Your Discord Username: GCubed#4280

Your Discord User ID: 233778051480027136

Auttaja Punishment ID: 843870526992400

Ban Length: Permanent

Appeal Type: N/A

What would you like to tell us:

The most important thing about this particular ban is that it occurred on Sunday, April 25th, 2021 at 4:37 PM Pacific Time. All bans on Dinkleberg’s GMod Discord server are permanent because we use the bot known as Auttaja which apparently only supports this indefinite ban and soft bans that are essentially just kicks from the server. There are other bots that support temporary bans, it is not clear to me why we use this bot over another bot that would offer better moderation of the server, or at the very least to disallow communication for that user for some finite amount of time. Is it really necessary that every ban that is implemented on the server must result in a permanent ban and can only be resolved in a forum post such as this? Do I really need to serve more time?

It was clear to many others, including those who moderated some component of this community, that my ban was not necessary. Why is it the case in those scenarios where many agree that there was some error that I cannot resolve the ban privately? It is certainly true that one can report an individual anonymously that leads to a ban which is something I have experienced. I was not even able to defend myself, was banned, and was forced to go through the trouble that is an unban request.

I am also requesting that my strikes be removed. I hope that if I am unbanned that the next time something like this occurs that I am not instantly permanently banned and you, the reader, do not have to sit through another thread created by me. I firmly believe that many of the strikes I have earned shouldn’t have been accrued . Regardless, I’m not actually interested in arguing in favor of them and I think it’s fair to remove them given the amount of time that has been served. 

The idea of “staff discretion” is something that should also be discussed. It might be surprising to hear but I understand the staff of this community are actually human and can interpret things differently from one another. I think this often creates confusion about what is actually allowed by members of the community. Something that I do or say is fine one day but on a future day, of similar degree under the exact same guidelines, is not tolerable. It actually is difficult to differentiate what actually is allowed, though when I say it I’m considered to only be trolling. I think the idea that “common sense” as a rule is particularly dumb. Something that is common sense for one may not be common sense for another. It can be argued that some of the things that are or are not allowed go against common sense. I do want to really stress that I understand that being staff of Dinkleberg’s GMod is a role that they choose voluntarily. It often goes unthanked and unappreciated. I’m certain that there are many times where they are put in unfavorable positions where they have to deal with either someone they consider a friend or a “respected member of the community” (not me). But I do think it is silly that my strikes are not with malicious intent and are not directed at people in general. I can only recall one time where I unironically insulted and argued with another member of the community, though I wasn’t even warned or striked for this. Surely, I’m not the only one who has at least some of these issues and there must be some way to work towards resolving them. I will not provide the solution here and leave it as an exercise to the reader.

My final strike was for pinging a member of the community a single time. This was after I accumulated strikes for “harassment” towards a separate member, so it led to an automatic permanent ban. I pinged them immediately after this individual responded to a different message (which would give the exact same result as if I just used Discord’s reply feature). I did not spam pings and I do not believe this counts as harassment.

Unironically, I have been with Dinkleberg’s Gmod for many years and enjoy my time here because I’m a degenerate. I appreciate all of the members; the great, the good, and the bad. Let me return to shitpost and make really bad jokes. Thank you.
+1 for an unban, my man GCubed served his time (and then some). GCubed is a great player and having him back in the discord to interact with the community is a good idea. I am pretty sure he will NEVER ping anyone in the discord server. He has learned his lesson.
[Image: image.png]Don't take anything I say seriously
he's served plenty of time, and from my limited understanding of the situation i think it was a silly ban
regardless of ban reason its been plenty of time +1 unban
I hope you learned your lesson. Don’t ever ping Hani again.

+1 the ban was outrageous in the first place
[Image: xdjlve.png]
He didn't get banned over "Hani ping."" Trolling/Flaming/Disrespect/Harassment/Enticing Drama," your current instance is a ban. Get over it.

Anywayyys, +1 for unban. It has been a super long time.

ALSO I'm not saying don't unban him. I'm just pointing out reasons behind the ban. He's good to come back. I don't hate him.
bring gcubed back, literally one of the most important people ...
(06-04-2022, 12:01 AM)Norm Minder Wrote: He didn't get banned over "Hani ping."" Trolling/Flaming/Disrespect/Harassment/Enticing Drama," your current instance is a ban. Get over it.

Anywayyys, +1 for unban. It has been a super long time.

lol no, he quite literally got banned for a ping. You can pull any mental gymnastics you want but it doesn’t change the circumstances regarding the ban. It can be labeled anything it wants, but that strike was given because he pinged Hani. That strike resulted in the ban. 

“Get over it”
lol ok

————- 

I’m gonna rewrite some of this. I understand the desire to want to justify actions as a staff member. Often times it’s necessary - especially when people are constantly challenging your decisions. It’s natural and part of the ‘job’. However, sometimes there are times where staff just straight up make a wrong or incorrect decision. This is one of those times. You’re coming off extremely condescending, and honestly it’s really not a good look when an Admin can’t even recognize when a staffing mistake occurred.

When people make unban requests, the admins/mod team require that the person take responsibility for their actions and at a minimum, acknowledge their mistake. I have seen in many cases appeals have the following:

“Hey, I RDMed him because he was doing X, Y or Z.”

With the mod team replying

“It doesn’t matter that he was doing X, Y, or Z, you still made a mistake and broke the rules.”

Why aren’t staff held to the same standard? If you look through every admin/mod abuse thread, literally every single one ends with the mod/admin getting the benefit of the doubt / using circumstantial context to justify their actions. It’s the reverse of what normal users are held to. 

Norm’s reply highlights this extremely well. Instead of “Hey, it was an unnecessary ban +1” or “Yeah we’re limited by how our bot works” etc its “Here’s a list of reasons why you deserved to be banned. Get over it.” Not becoming of an admin, and frankly arrogant. Normal users are expected to take responsibility, why aren’t staff?

The fact of the matter is this boils down to three problems: 1.) As GCubed said the current bot we use is not very effective. 2.) The strike he received that resulted in the ban was totally unjustified 3.) He was forced to make an appeal, despite the ban being ridiculous in the first place. lil bro never even got a chance to defend himself at the time of the strike.

Jammin’s done a good job as Discord Admin, and I hope Les can continue that but this highlights a problem that I think needs to be looked at with our warning system on discord.
[Image: xdjlve.png]
Free Gcubed, it's time.

+1
Ayo GCubed! It’s been a bit man.

+1
CONSUME THE RICH ☭

o7 A Farewell to Arms o7

Eat shit and live Damien…..

“I was in a butcher shop once and a pig’s head told me that God and the Devil killed each other a long time ago” -Evan Kelmp

+rep : ) Nov. 02 2021 - June 5th 2022

what in the god damn

Not a scar on his back...
99% of discord bans are nonsensical and disproportionate, i'm going to assume this is another one of them

+1 unban