Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal/Illegal Roofs and the Jump Pack
With the addition of some new maps, the question of new illegal spots comes to mind.

For example, the dark lego map with the roofs that are transparent if you stand on them is one with many roofs accessible with jetpacks.  This red roof is okay to be on, but many of the other roofs are illegal.  The reasoning I got is because that roof is technically accessible if you don't have a jump pack because you can stack boxes.  Unfortunately, the following are true:
1. You need multiple boxes to even get onto the wall adjoining this building, so that takes time to do.  If you are a murderer and don't have a jump pack, you would have to waste a lot of time building something to get onto the roof.
2. The boxes on the map are super light.  Throwing your popcorn at them moves them considerably.  Try building something when multiple players are launching popcorn at it.

The new mall map has a high edge in the center of the map that I'm certain you can't get to without a jump pack (well, they could spend an hour taking the tables up one by one to build something I suppose...).

This brings me to my point: If the reasoning for banning spots is based on if someone has a jump pack, then we have to severely limit the vertical components of most of the maps in order to be consistent.

An example is the regular lego map (the helicopter one).  You can't build a prop structure on this map, yet people can legally jump onto the trees/police station, etc.  The surrounding wall is also inaccessible without a jump pack I think, but players routinely use it.  Another example is the minecraft map with the red hearts on the ground and everyone spawns in the same spot (sorry, I don't know it's name).  There are many roofs on this map that you need a jump pack to access.  Even another example is the minecraft map with the lava in the center.  How is someone without a jump pack supposed to climb the mountain? EDIT: I forgot the traitor room.  Still, soon as the murderer runs for that, you just jump into the large tree in the water.

I think even the walter white house map's roof is inaccessible without a jump pack.

We can't just remove the jump pack because it has functionality related to falling that simply reducing gravity won't do.  Instead, we should:
1. Make the jump pack cost 0. You join the server with enough points for one already, but just to be safe reduce the cost to 0.
2. Tell new players that they can equip the jump pack mid round and have it functional (I've tried this and yes, you can equip the jump pack mid round and it works!).  This could be an automated message on the server much like "type !donate to donate!"

Then, we shouldn't have any issues with "Is this spot illegal because someone can't get up there without a jump pack?" because there simply won't be any excuse for not having one equipped.
Ding ding ding! Finally you guys are coming around, two and a half years after I make the 10 paragraph thread about why the jump pack is busted... although trying to get the jump boost actually lowered is definitely a lost cause

Either remove it and add global jump boost or make it cost nothing so people can play the game on an equal playing field :)

Global jump pack addon:
Code:
hook.Add("Tick", "jumpBoost", function()
    for k,v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
        if v:KeyDown(IN_JUMP) then
            v:SetVelocity(v:GetUp()*12)
        end
    end
end)
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
Specifically on the Murder server the jumppack is entirely a player problem, because as soon as you start playing the server you get enough points to but 5x jumppack, of course you only need one jumppack then you will still have 40k points left.

So yes, the other servers definitely have this problem, but Murder specifically doesn't.
(06-19-2022, 09:37 PM)troll facer Wrote: Ding ding ding! Finally you guys are coming around, two and a half years after I make the 10 paragraph thread about why the jump pack is busted... although trying to get the jump boost actually lowered is definitely a lost cause

Either remove it and add global jump boost or make it cost nothing so people can play the game on an equal playing field :)

Global jump pack addon:
Code:
hook.Add("Tick", "jumpBoost", function()
    for k,v in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
        if v:KeyDown(IN_JUMP) then
            v:SetVelocity(v:GetUp()*12)
        end
    end
end)

I'm 90% sure this has been brought up to Dink before, though I don't know the outcome. I do know that dink is very reluctant to change anything in regards to the economy, so I don't know if the price will change. I am also unsure of the possibility of adding that coding. That's not really my forte.

As lemons noted, the jump pack is readily purchasable from the very second a new player joins, and anyone who has complained about the jump pack has been directed on where to get one. Reasonable players will then get the jump pack and issue resolved.
The main issue is how we are identifying illegal spots, which seems like we need to review to make sure the playing field is fair for all.

Thanks chelll for the post and the thoughts
:)
[Image: ErQ4M8K.jpg] 
I'm mostly making this post because I want things to be ideologically consistent across the maps. Otherwise you just end up with a weird mishmash of illegal spots that no one will fully remember.
The whole "players have enough points to buy the jump pack when they join" argument works until someone buys something other than the jump pack with their starting points, then theyre SOL when they realize they literally cant play the game without it

guys begging regulars for points to buy the jump boost item is a part of the gameplay, trust me
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
(06-20-2022, 01:45 PM)troll facer Wrote: The whole "players have enough points to buy the jump pack when they join" argument works until someone buys something other than the jump pack with their starting points, then theyre SOL when they realize they literally cant play the game without it
Like i said, for murder its purely a player problem as of right now, might change in the future might not, i think that the price should remain where it currently is.

And always having the jumppack is something that would cause some problems, cuz sometimes ppl wanna try something without the jumppack.