Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-29-2022
I'm going to have to -1 this. I've had some time to refine my thoughts. I like you a lot Salty but I have some concerns and think it's way too early to even consider having you rejoin the staff team at this time. The biggest being commitment and reliability. So I'm skeptical that the commitment will last considering your past history and resignations. I fear that we'll be running in the same circle we have been the previous times you've been staff and you may end up resigning for the same reasons as your previous tenures as staff, which were all eerily similar. Or applying again after that. Imo we should be confident that we can rely on someone and know their commitment is there. Ik we’re short on discord staff and you did an alright job at being staff itself from what I heard(I wasn't here for most of it, so I can't really speak to it that much but knowing you as a person and how you are, I don't really have any doubts on that front and think you could handle being staff itself), but I’d rather have someone we know is committed and we can rely on rather than question those things. Basically, if we've been going in this same circle for two years or so then I'm not sure it's going to be any different this time around. You can obviously prove me wrong, but I think that's going to take time. A few months at least for me to even be comfortable considering having you rejoin the staff team. 

You also rejoined the discord a month ago on September 29th after leaving when you resigned over the summer and said once again you "don't want to be here any longer." Then you applied yesterday on October 29, exactly a month after. So that makes me think you joined with the purpose of just applying for staff again in mind, you also said you've been thinking about applying for over a month in his app. So I think that kinda further points to that argument. That concerns me too and don't think it would be suitable for you to jump right back into being staff. I think you should just enjoy being in the community again for the time being and come back to thinking about applying for staff in a few months.

To add to the last paragraph, ik in one of your previous resignations you have said you were "basically being addicted to checking this community." I think that may be true. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing to check in on the community, I just think you may try to overcommit to this again and add an unnecessary burden to yourself with other things going on in your life that could grow over time, then we end up in the same place again with you resigning for similar reasons or getting burned out quickly. Ik I can't really be the judge of what's right and what's wrong for you, but I would want to you take care of yourself first and make sure you're doing what's right for you. 

I know you addressed this in a response with approaching it with a different mindset and treating it as a hobby rather than a job, which is good. Again, I would point to what I said before with it being too early. So again I think you should just enjoy being in the community again for the time being and come back to thinking about applying for staff in a few months.
(10-29-2022, 04:33 PM)bunniey Wrote: Do you even actually want to be staff? Why? What reason? Because a good few times now, you've resigned due to being 'frustrated' with this, then come and say you don't 'foresee' being at that point anymore. I just think there's a temperament thing there that probably needs addressed. Give it awhile.

(10-30-2022, 11:18 AM)Gabe Wrote: I think you should just enjoy being in the community again for the time being and come back to thinking about applying for staff in a few months.

This application was made with the anticipation that it would have a very uphill battle of being accepted, similarly to this one. Last time, the issue was whether or not I could be trusted not to leak staff chat, whereas this time it's whether or not I can have a stable commitment.

I mainly was making this application to receive feedback and try and improve on possible issues. A general consensus is that the team is afraid that I will just go through another cycle and phase out, which I would be quite stupid to try and suggest that isn't a legitimate concern. This is why I had to make sure this wasn't a spur of the moment decision as I didn't want to waste anyone's time with a "shitpost" application. If I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't have applied. I respect the current team and the community too much to troll it with something like that; plus that'd be a waste of my own time too. 

To answer your question, Rand: Yes, I do want to be staff for Discord again regardless of if I am accepted or not with this application. The reason why is I want to be able to help delegate the workload of the Discord, as the ratio between Discord Staff members specifically and community members is astronomically high. I like the members on the Discord Staff team and I know I can work well with them because I've done it before. 

I completely understand why this is a concern considering you've seen it happen twice; however, there was an element that both of my resignations had in common and as I had stated previously would do differently this time: I would only want to staff Discord and have no intention of being staff anywhere else.  The main issue of what caused my burnout was never Discord staff, as I actually really enjoyed doing that.

It was trying to balance staffing both Discord and TTT  while also dealing with personal life situations that made me frustrated, and I've learned from my mistakes to not try and spread myself out too thin.

If this was to be denied, I'd put myself on a 2 month period at minimum before I'd apply again. If I felt the same way when I was able to make another application, I would make another. There's no reason for me to try and apply a month from the day it was denied as it would still be the same issue. Maybe those concerns never will go away, I cannot determine how you all approach how I feel about it at that point, but at the very least, if it's denied, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing to support the community; in my eyes, the staff role is nothing more than a title, it's what people who are in those positions do that make them leaders. 

Thanks for your concerns and honesty, I really appreciate you not sugarcoating things or having blind bias because we're friends, it means a lot.

(10-30-2022, 01:38 AM)Laced Xanax Wrote: immm drunk but no

i will epxllain ehen im.sobe4

You checked the forums when drunk; that's dedication right there.

Joking aside, I'm sure you have concerns that are just as valid as everyone else's and look forward to seeing it.
i forgot hi im not going to explain a whole lot bc everyone else kinda said what i was thinking

but yeah i dont think youre really committed at all to this, i mean you only rejoined the discord about a month ago

-1 im not drunk anymore tho
easy +1
I can't psuedo staff by myself, I love staffing!!!!!

(10-30-2022, 04:11 PM)Killahsasasin Wrote: easy +1
I can't psuedo staff by myself, I love staffing!!!!!
You sure you wanna staff again though man it never gets easier
+1

level headed, I think he's ready again
Incepimus, Nunc et semper.
This means that "we begin, now and forever", and translates as "always we begin again"
What this actually means is that we should always strive to better ourselves, because tomorrow is a new day.
I hope you take it to heart. Remember, an improvement, no matter how small, is improvement.

BIIG_SAD
bumping this for more potential feedback
Your a good man salty I think you just have a hard time dealing with roadblocks when they pop up and as long as your committed to trying to improve that then I will always support an app from you.
+1 If you really want to do it, you'll be good at it but...

Bruh do you ACTUALLY want to staff Dink's discord? What benefit do you get from staffing a bunch of retards who complain, start drama, and have the maturity levels of a middle school boy? You have Salt Mine's and other discords where you actually like the people you play with. If you staff Dinks, you literally don't get anything back from it except a headache and dragged into drama everytime someone posts a "THIS MOD IS IGNORING HARASSMENT!!!".

If you're not really playing TTT seriously or any dinks server seriously, I just don't get why you'd want to do it. There's other ways to be involved with the community and give "back" to it, besides being a unpaid internet janitor.

You already teach children as a profession, I don't know why you would want to moderate children as a hobby
[Image: xdjlve.png]
Hay Salty I remember seeing this & forgot to respond.

I have seen similar subject maters talked about amongst upper staff before & some very good point have been made in those subject matters in regards to burnout 
leaving the staff team feeling like you no longer want to be part of the community anymore at times or even having disputes with other staff at times & it all 
seams to boil down to the same conclusion & that is this kind of stuff should not be held against you especially for a entry level position since even the admins
get burnt out & overwhelmed at times & there our role models.

Realistically we should be more worried if you did something wrong as staff last time & it seams like you may have had problems with some staff witch is normal
we don't always get along I myself had a problem with someone recently one talk later with @Bryan & the situation was solved.

Basically if you get accepted back onto the staff team what I would like to see if your get burnt out again is to just take a few weeks off & let your staff team your on know
that you just need a small rest & if necessary ask to have a inactive role for a time rather then a outright resignation we are all volunteers after all just looking to help.

If you ever have problems with "Dumb asses" in the future I world recommend venting to one of the Admins that's what they are there for after all there our community leaders
& making sure there staff team is organized & healthy is what they do.

On a side note I am certain I get on the nerves of @Chelllman & @Bryan hehe but they don't tell me that.

I give this a phat +1 your more then qualified for entry level lower staff should not be expected to be perfect & your way above the bar set out for you in my opinion.
[Image: i43gHnI.png]
(10-30-2022, 02:21 PM)Laced Xanax Wrote: i forgot hi im not going to explain a whole lot bc everyone else kinda said what i was thinking

but yeah i dont think youre really committed at all to this, i mean you only rejoined the discord about a month ago

-1 im not drunk anymore tho

I respect your opinion, but I'm not entirely sure what I've said in this thread seems to  suggest to you that I am not "committed at all." It'd be one thing if I made an obvious shitpost application or were arguing with everyone who has had criticism, but I've feel as if I've made it pretty clear that I am committed to this. As I said earlier on this thread, all I'd be doing if I were posting a shitpost would be wasting my own time. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like you to explain what makes you think that.

(11-02-2022, 09:49 AM)Battons Wrote: Your a good man salty I think you just have a hard time dealing with roadblocks when they pop up and as long as your committed to trying to improve that then I will always support an app from you.

This has been something that I have working on in my personal life too; it's definitely gotten better as time has progressed but I'd be lying if I said that I don't still struggle with this. It's a constant battle to try and improve this. Usually now I just know when to take a step back and then come back to something later if I know that I'm not in a good headspace; I appreciate your feedback.

(11-03-2022, 05:47 PM)breece (2) Wrote: What benefit do you get from staffing a bunch of retards who complain, start drama, and have the maturity levels of a middle school boy?

You already teach children as a profession, I don't know why you would want to moderate children as a hobby

These are good points. The benefit I get from staffing this group of miscreants (this is going to sound selfish but it's not supposed to come across that way) is developing better skills with patience for myself. As you mentioned, I intend to teach children as a profession, and in my own humble opinion, I believe that working as a Helper on Discord would help me improve my problem solving skills, which believe it or not, my prior experiences as staff have translated to my classroom management philosophy too. Some of the approaches I've taken here aren't appropriate for a K-12 school setting obviously, but I can modify it. Also, working with a team is something I can continue to always get better at.

In exchange for me growing as a person through being in a team with others, I also can try and limit the harassment that goes on, as I use the discord fairly regularly and catch on to things. Something I've already been doing is whenever the conversations start to get hostile, I attempt to deter it rather than feed into it. I may be aggressive with it at times, but my intentions are to try and make the community where we can just chat and not argue constantly. 

Hope my response makes sense and doesn't come across as me sounding as if I am only doing this for myself, because that isn't the case.