Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slurs
(10-31-2022, 08:33 PM)Reina Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 08:21 PM)Salty Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 08:19 PM)Reina Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 08:16 PM)Salty Wrote: The issue becomes whether or not staff want to make the work more complicated for them or not

giving the same punishment any time someone uses a word is more complicated than deciphering whether or not someone is actually talking about cars when everyone gives the exact same excuse? interesting take

You entirely misread what I said. The more complicated part would be whether or not something is derogatory or just a reference to shorthand for car. Clearly if someone says "Shut up Tranny" they're calling someone a derogatory term.

That's an incredibly obvious example that completely evades my point. Now what if someone says "You should shoot that t-slur over there" while looking in the direction of a trans player standing in front of a car, then they proceed to RDM the player while unloading bullets into the hood of the car. Clearly they were talking about the player, but now the staff member can decide that since they don't like the trans player and their friend was the one who said it, it was just RDM with a silly joke about cars. Or, on the other hand, the staff member can warn the player and then have to deal with a 5-page forum post about how it's not fair that they got warned because they were talking about cars, then the direction in which the post goes also depends on how well-liked each player is.

Not every situation is going to clearly be one extreme or the other, so it's best to disallow use of the slur entirely.
That's fair but outright gagging someone and not telling them entirely what they did wrong is in my opinion A little bit twisted I will try to speak respectfully. Here's my thing I was never exposed to this word I do think it should be most definitely at least discussed because I had no idea about the context which apparently alot of people doubt. I know I'm an asshole and I will admit to it but I genuinely didn't mean it in a mean way. Sure I will take the 4 points as it isn't anything on me the biggest issue I have is saying something I have little to no knowledge about. I KNOW  KNOW, KNOW I am far from the best member of ther server but I was legitimately ignorant in this situation I would rather be pmed not to say it than publicly warned for the whole server to see. I know I have had previous experience in that past with slurs but believe it or not I was genuinely trying to do better and whilst doing so discovered something that I had never known. Will I apposite for it yes will it happen again absolutely not now that I know its a slur I do genuinely want to better myself but I also want to speak my mind.
[Image: its-vodka-vodka.gif]
This is an interesting thread, and even though it's clearly a divisive topic, I think it's an important discussion to be had.

To speak to codifying exactly which slurs are allowed/not allowed, as people have said it would definitely create extra work for staff to look into, discuss, and document countless words. People would also inevitably complain and point to the potentially non-exhaustive list if gagged at staff's discretion for slurring ("it's not in the list!! abuse!!"). However I think it can be counterintuitive to players that some slurs are allowed while others are not. "Retard" and the non-hard-r n-slur would be banned as well if the rule truly was "don't say slurs", and... well they're not. If we're striving for clarity and consistency, it might be helpful to be more explicit about what can and cannot be said. Personally I take the approach of just not saying slurs, but if a newcomer were to join the server and hear regular players saying other "softer" slurs, I could see it being confusing for them.

As for taking context into account when it comes to slurs, I'm personally in agreement with Jammin. That being said, I recognize that especially alongside many other rules that have to be enforced on the server, it's easier sometimes to cut corners and simplify things. If there are six active reports and multiple people mic spamming, is it worth the (arguably marginal) extra effort to determine the context of a slur? Hell, when a lot of people are talking at once it can be hard to tell who even said a slur, let alone the context. Also, given that the context when Steel Waffle slurred seems pretty dubious, I'm not really sure it's even relevant to this ban. I'm well familiar with "tranny" as an abbreviation of "transmission", but I also avoid saying it given the hateful connotation, and would have also warned for it given the current guidelines for handling slurs.

Steel Waffle, I get where you're coming from and why you're upset. You seem authentic in not having known about the word being used as a slur, and I would be supportive of your warn being appealed given the context of the situation. If it isn't though, now you know better, and try to watch the slurs on the server :)
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(10-31-2022, 10:33 PM)Ryan722 Wrote: This is an interesting thread, and even though it's clearly a divisive topic, I think it's an important discussion to be had.

To speak to codifying exactly which slurs are allowed/not allowed, as people have said it would definitely create extra work for staff to look into, discuss, and document countless words. People would also inevitably complain and point to the potentially non-exhaustive list if gagged at staff's discretion for slurring ("it's not in the list!! abuse!!"). However I think it can be counterintuitive to players that some slurs are allowed while others are not. "Retard" and the non-hard-r n-slur would be banned as well if the rule truly was "don't say slurs", and... well they're not. If we're striving for clarity and consistency, it might be helpful to be more explicit about what can and cannot be said. Personally I take the approach of just not saying slurs, but if a newcomer were to join the server and hear regular players saying other "softer" slurs, I could see it being confusing for them.

As for taking context into account when it comes to slurs, I'm personally in agreement with Jammin. That being said, I recognize that especially alongside many other rules that have to be enforced on the server, it's easier sometimes to cut corners and simplify things. If there are six active reports and multiple people mic spamming, is it worth the (arguably marginal) extra effort to determine the context of a slur? Hell, when a lot of people are talking at once it can be hard to tell who even said a slur, let alone the context. Also, given that the context when Steel Waffle slurred seems pretty dubious, I'm not really sure it's even relevant to this ban. I'm well familiar with "tranny" as an abbreviation of "transmission", but I also avoid saying it given the hateful connotation, and would have also warned for it given the current guidelines for handling slurs.

Steel Waffle, I get where you're coming from and why you're upset. You seem authentic in not having known about the word being used as a slur, and I would be supportive of your warn being appealed given the context of the situation. If it isn't though, now you know better, and try to watch the slurs on the server :)
I mean yeah it kind of really doesn't help for only some slurs to be consistently punished and others to be explicitly allowed
Especially ones that are allowed on the server but not on the discord or forums
[Image: p2tO5Im.png]
This shit still going on? Interesting
CONSUME THE RICH ☭

o7 A Farewell to Arms o7

Eat shit and live Damien…..

“I was in a butcher shop once and a pig’s head told me that God and the Devil killed each other a long time ago” -Evan Kelmp

+rep : ) Nov. 02 2021 - June 5th 2022

what in the god damn

Not a scar on his back...
This is a non-productive thread at this point. Its clear that Steel did not know what happened as this is a term COMMONLY used in the car community to describe a car part. To have this go 6 pages is a bit excessive.
[Image: Bry-Donor-2.gif]