Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Shipping container house
Nice idea in theory, but insulation alone won't cut it. Maybe some form of geothermic heating for the winter.

If you set this up anywhere with a temperate climate be prepared to fight 'murica every step of the way. In California building a house like this would probably amount to a crime/jail time, whereas in many other areas where big brother won't care, you won't last the winter.

That being said you can certainly pull this off. Gotta be out in the boonies, and make sure you pull your permits properly, but many states (especially in the midwest) allow for this kind of stuff. Here in Michigan you can do just about anything you want on farmland so long as you got the permits and inspection approvals (some cities may be stricter with what you can do/what requires permits). And because Michigan is a frozen hellhole land is not exactly all that expensive.

One thing you are overlooking is electric service - "putting in" electric service can cost tens of thousands if the utility has to drop new poles/run line to your house. Electric doesn't just magically teleport to your location, and the grids in the boonies are much larger than you think.
And forget about any kind of internet, its the satellite for you. @Raider Hanks can tell you all about hickville internet
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
beaming microwaves at your metal box house
[Image: p2tO5Im.png]
as a realtor i think this is a really interesting idea but i just got my license so I’m not yet experienced enough to tell you the problems with it besides the obvious that most have already stated, but I did bring it up to my mom (also a realtor but for way longer) and she brought up some good points- it wouldn’t appreciate like a normal house, the land might appreciate but just that. also, those things are painted with lead paint, which is awful for you, and would ~release its toxins~ when doing any kind of work on it.

that’s all i have to add but this is very interesting :)
[Image: kirby.gif]
(11-30-2022, 08:05 AM)coco?? Wrote: as a realtor i think this is a really interesting idea but i just got my license so I’m not yet experienced enough to tell you the problems with it besides the obvious that most have already stated, but I did bring it up to my mom (also a realtor but for way longer) and she brought up some good points- it wouldn’t appreciate like a normal house, the land might appreciate but just that. also, those things are painted with lead paint, which is awful for you, and would ~release its toxins~ when doing any kind of work on it.

if you haven't been microdosing lead since birth that's on you
[Image: p2tO5Im.png]
can you hand me the seating chart
(11-30-2022, 08:05 AM)coco?? Wrote: as a realtor i think this is a really interesting idea but i just got my license so I’m not yet experienced enough to tell you the problems with it besides the obvious that most have already stated, but I did bring it up to my mom (also a realtor but for way longer) and she brought up some good points- it wouldn’t appreciate like a normal house, the land might appreciate but just that. also, those things are painted with lead paint, which is awful for you, and would ~release its toxins~ when doing any kind of work on it.

I was thinking the same thing @coco??. @RussEfarmer the land will appreciate in value sure, but the container house won't. It's a fad thing that will have extremely limited interest in the future. County/city permitting would be a nightmare if they would even permit it at all. Most likely all you could resell is the land and the container would need to be demolished unless you plan on having it moved and living in it for the rest of your life. The value on the land would also take a lot longer to appreciate than land with improvements (A house, building, etc.)

Additionally, say you pull this off around $50,000 as in your cost range you mentioned. You can't really finance any of the things mentioned (to my knowledge), they need to be paid in cash. Instead you can take that money and invest it as a down payment on a house, condo, vacation rental, etc. and make a ton more money in equity. Assume the average 3 bed/2 bath home in your area sells for around $300,000 like you said. That's a 16.7% down payment and using today's interest rates and my local tax rate your monthly payment would come to around $2,400, which I'm guessing isn't too far off from how much a 3 bedroom apartment costs near you, however you'll be building equity toward future real estate investments. It doesn't sound good short-term but it pays off long-term. Especially if you can find a multi-unit deal, that can be very lucrative.
Moderator on TTT

Ahhh Ref...

That was clean
(11-29-2022, 11:59 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: Alright I need some opinions on this because everyone I talk to is a big hater when it comes to a shipping container house, but I don't think it's a bad idea.
Where I live they have started to become pretty popular, and my godmather has one, made out of 2 containers actually.

It's ok, it can feel like a house. Very hot though, just as you might freeze it can feel like a freaking oven. It's not an all year round house, it's more like a vacation place which I think is a better idea overall.

This is a downside I forgot to mention, yeah you basically can't sell it lol. Doing this would be more about making a dream property away from people for cheap instead of buying something to sell later
[Image: horizontal-design-element-3.png]
  Angel I CRAHSED MY CAR
find out more at https://russefarmer.com/
Garry's Mod Performance Tuning Guide
You may as well buy a used RV or try living that van life. What Stoked said about zoning is the problem. You won't be able to place it anywhere. I know a guy who lived stealthy in a storage unit for a few months to save money for an apt.

Also look into tiny homes that are prebuilt on like home depot.
https://youtu.be/i7yEDz6bCfU

ignore Facebook title
[Image: rdm-corp-squarelogo-1446787792629.png]