Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We only do it for you
We only do it for you & I mean that in the most caring way.

As some of you may know, I am part of smaller servers outside of the main Dinks discord server these are basically friend groups that feel safe to talk about their opinion on the Dinkleberg community others talk about there opinion on the community more openly in a more defensive manner. There are a few comments among a reasonably sized chunk of the community that strike a resemblance to one another, if not are out right the same.

Here is a few I would like to talk about today.

- Staff don't care about us.
- No one put's effort into this community anymore anymore.
- Spam in the chat makes me not want to engage in conversation (Cat spam in a text chat for example).
- The forums are just a place to dog pile/get picked on for having a opinion that is different.
- I feel that X Y & Z get away with it because there staff.
- If I got punished this user should as well this is unfair treatment.
- Tired of style content

Staff don't care about us

I know why members can feel this way with staff having a lot on there plates with general life stuff & even wen it comes to the community the majority of the working and effort is being directed to behind the scenes stuff at this time so anyone who is not staff can not see just how much is going on right now, It only adds to this wen staff get worn out doing this behind the scenes work to the point that they don't have the time or energy to jump on one of the server play, Talk, & staff in a public space, To some outside eyes it can look like once someone becomes staff they stop being active since they got the role they wanted & they can all so see the staff team as a friend group that has say over what go's on in the server.

I just want to take a moment to say that staff does care about you, I don't think there is any staff who would be staff if they did not care about you, It is true that the staff are kind of like a friend group, But this is more like what everyone wishes the work place was like in our everyday life no one is just there just because they know someone on the staff team, They are there because they want to help & at this time staff are over worked both with their real life & when it comes to the community especially since the overwhelming majority of staff are adults all of which have been affected by the events of the past few years. I my self lost my life savings protecting someone I love when they got stuck in another country then went into debt when my work place became insufferable in a job that already put so much work on me that it would have already killed someone who is not in my weight class & would have been the death of even myself if I did not walk away when I did, starting my own business which came with its own problems & challenges. The Dinkleberg community is one of the few comforts I have at this time & even though other staff have different stories to my own, The results have all been similar. Everyone is over worked & tired & with the huge community overhaul on its way it can feel like we are not doing much from the outside, But we are working on the community & we do care we just need you to bear with us for a bit longer I know it's hard when it has already been so long believe me I do I get frustrated as well.

No one put's effort into this community anymore

Like I mentioned above, we are all very tiered & this includes Dinkleberg himself & as you may know there was a rogue co-owner who tried to hijack the server @Chelllman mentioned earlier today. In order for someone to have someone's trust after something like that it takes effort from both sides & it all so takes time, But not just any time, it takes quality time & looking back at the past few years all most all of us have gotten very little of that. That's not to say that hasn't been progress just recently Dink added a data sensitive file to the TTT (Trouble in Terrorist Town) server that is all so soon to be on PH (Prop Hunt) these files if handled by someone malicious intent could have been used to seriously harm the server, because of this I think it's safe to say that Dink is opening up again & it has taken a grate deal of effort from the staff team in order to accomplish this.

Spam in the chat makes me not want to engage in conversation

Now just a clarify I myself have taken part in this one as I myself am someone who enjoys memes & I want to try & avoid the "there just being snowflakes" excuse in this one as a way to brush it to the side so with the being said. It has been brought to my attention that spam in the discord chat has driven away & put off quite a few community members as they feel that they can not have a convocation without it been interrupted by a image as a response to something they said (this part is not the problem the next part it) only for that image to sparks a chain of images vaguely relating to the first one derailing entire conversations, This makes community members no longer want to engage in the community any more which is the point of being in a community to begin with. Just to be clear the people doing this are some of those I like the most in the community, I just think we need to be more cautious about how we affect others, Maybe use reactions more often over the link chain of cat GIFs as to not derail conversations.

The forums are just a place to dog pile/get picked on for having a opinion that is different

Now I know no one want's to hear this, but this can be a tiny bit true sometimes, Now it is not a super complicated problem this one I think the reason community members can feel this way has to be with how staff say things sometimes & not what it is they are saying, Sometimes staff can try & lighten the mood saying or doing something a bit silly & instead of lighten the mood it can feel disrespectful & at time be outright confusing & other times staff can come off as complete hard ass because they don't like someone. I am not asking anyone to be perfect that would be ridiculous, But sometimes the issue can be bought to light & then it continues anyway, The biggest problem with this it usually has nothing to do with who you are even talking to at the time but everyone ells looking in, I have gotten a lot of comments about “how this user is being talk to is the reason I don't touch the forums” & it can be a bit too true at times. When I first join the wider staff team @Chelllman said to be "Now that you are staff you are expected to be a certain level of polite and pragmatic when using the forums" & I think that is something staff need to exercise a bit more in 2023, We are a community the main thing is engagement & is there is something preventing that engagement then is a problem & needs to be fixed.

I just want to point out that this one mainly only applies to staff since all I expect from a community member is that they follow the rules, I expect more from staff.

I feel that X Y & Z get away with it because there staff.
&
If I got punished this user should as well this is unfair treatment

Now for the most part this is simply not true when a staff member does something wrong staff mention something about it publicly & then behind the scenes you receive the text equivalent be being shot at granted if it's not a big deal then it is not that bad, But trust me when I say that staff don't get there mistakes put to them lightly it is very dry with the perception of new staff when they are still in their training period other than that they get no special treatment %99 of the time, With that being said however I do unfortunately have a very recent example of the opposite.

[Image: image.png]

This post by @KaptainLes on a more serious thread is a shitpost aim to having harmless fun & it really is harmless, This is all no in no way a dig @KaptainLes as we are on good terms with one another & I really want to have another game of golf with him & the boys soon. Anyway back on topic as @Battons in the thread I got the screenshot from he pointed out that others before @KaptainLes had all so shitposted & they all had their post removed however he did not, I just want to take a moment to say that even though someone is a staff member or in this case an Admin to not shy away from enforcing a rule that you are enforcing on others otherwise you may end up in a situation where someone cherry pics a very particular situation to reinforce their belief much like I just did in this very post.

If you ever need to address a Admin about them braking a rule just do it we have good Admins trust me it will be resolved in a in a manner that you will be very satisfied with there are community leaders for a reason.

Tired of style content

Honestly same & I can't fault you for complaining about this one it's true & I already listed all the reasons why earlier above this, however I do have a bit more to add to this. It is my goal as staff for 2023 is to create a Dinkleberg's classroom to teach others about how to use things such as Hammer Editor or Blender or skills outside my own that others possessed such as programming; Art or who knows if there is one thing I've learned for sure is that there is some amazing people in this community who offer a lot to those who wish to learn & I think a more organized approach would have some interesting results to say the least. The aim in to create more content for the community & hopefully take it beyond the Gmod servers & into cool projects.

---

Thank you for taking the time to read this the point of this post is to address community members concerns & give staff feed back, I have no problems with anyone on the staff team at this time & just aim to do the best I can wen it comes to as helpful as possible.

Please keep this thread on topic & polite.

Ps I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes I have been trying my best to improve this.
[Image: i43gHnI.png]
The website staff don’t care about us because no website dark mode. Change my mind.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
Shitposting on drama threads is the only smart thing to do when the drama is stupid as hell, and quite frankly, that is 99% of this community’s drama
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
(01-08-2023, 11:10 AM)Summer Wrote: The website staff don’t care about us because no website dark mode. Change my mind.
based and factual
Happy for u, or sorry that happened
(01-08-2023, 11:10 AM)Summer Wrote: The website staff don’t care about us because no website dark mode. Change my mind.

Man doesn't have the dark mode plugin you can get for ever internet browser ever that automatically dark modes every webpage
(01-08-2023, 01:47 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:

Man doesn't have the dark mode plugin you can get for ever internet browser ever that automatically dark modes every webpage
a lot of the ones that are good for other sites are kinda shit on the forums
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
(01-08-2023, 01:48 PM)Forum Staff Wrote:

I don't remember the name of the one I use on my PC, but I believe you can customize it per site. From what I understand, implementation of a dark mode is a lot of work and would probably be the largest change made to the forums in years.
(01-08-2023, 01:52 PM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 01:48 PM)Forum Staff Wrote:

I don't remember the name of the one I use on my PC, but I believe you can customize it per site. From what I understand, implementation of a dark mode is a lot of work and would probably be the largest change made to the forums in years.

Oh I know, I don’t use my computer on the forums at all. Plus, it doesn’t really bother me. It’s been something I’ve joked about because it’s so minor that it’s so insignificant and yet people still complain compared to the bigger problems of the community.

But yeah, dark mode is tough and like you said there are plenty of options that I explored awhile ago while I was super active and found one that is similar to dark mode and changed the color of bars to dark white/light black to ease the eyes.
Don't want make the thread exclusively about forum dark mode lol, since I think Super Milk made some other good points, but dark mode and better mobile responsiveness are two improvements I'd like to start looking into making. I know Gabe's mentioned having a potential update on dark mode in the nearish future, so hopefully we can get something going soon.