Dinkleberg's GMod
Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - Printable Version

+- Dinkleberg's GMod (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site)
+-- Forum: Trouble in Terrorist Town (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TTT Suggestions & Help (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length (/showthread.php?tid=14602)

Pages: 1 2 3

Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - La Flama Blanca - 07-26-2021

Good evening everyone - Prince Nicky is here to share his esteemed brilliance and excellent ideas with the rest of the Dinkleberg's TTT Community!

The first such idea is that we go ahead and shorten the length of the TTT Rounds

Few things upset more players than the length for which some rounds of TTT continue. It is quite common for rounds to extend beyond 10 minutes, with maps regularly lasting more than an hour. 

This is problematic for several reasons, which I will list below. Keep in mind that this is a non-exhaustive list, and I'm sure there are other reasons as well that others might be able to offer.

1. Longer rounds tend to upset players and cause emotions to run hotter. If someone is killed within seconds of a 13 minute round, they might be ticked off at having to wait so long to play once again. In turn, this results in more friction between individual players or players and staff. More insults being hurled, etc.

2. Longer rounds result in more spam and troublemaking by players. When players are waiting quite some time for a round to end, they understandably get bored. This often results in them resorting to whipping out their soundboards, playing music over the mic, baiting players into using slurs, etc. When people are actively playing the game, this is far less of a problem. Much of this occurs in dead chat.

3. Longer rounds often disrupt our punishment system and can result in unfair treatment. This can be seen with slays. Imagine you RDMed on Round 1. Staff can't get to the report immediately and add your slay at the beginning of Round 2. You have to wait until the end of Round 2 before you can even leave the server. That could be 15 minutes. Now imagine you want to stay on and play after your slay. Now you have to wait not only until the end of Round 2, but also the end of Round 3. That could then be 30 minutes before you get to play again. That is pretty rough. Some people might only have to wait 5 minutes, granted there are two quick rounds. That's a huge difference in punishment. And if you leave before that time is up, you get banned for 24 hours. Also, keep in mind that some of our punishments for mutes/gags can last for an entire round - with the long differences in round length, this again is problematic. 

4. Longer rounds are often caused by guests, and can lead to backlash against new players. Many of us know that guests often fail to quickly complete their objective as a Traitor. Many roam around the map for minutes and do nothing during their Traitor round. Demands in dead chat grow strong for "slay for delay" or the simple complaint "I bet it's that guest delaying!" This results in many players becoming irritated at not only the individual guest causing the delay, but guests in general with disparaging nicknames such as "white names" becoming common.

5. Longer rounds can potentially result in an increased chance of accidental rule-breaking. This admittedly isn't my strongest point, but the longer the round goes on, the higher the chance for accidental rule-breaking such as Mass RDM. An accidental kill one minute into the round, damage by a fire grenade 6 minutes into the round, and another accidental RDM 13 minutes into the round. Memories might fade as to the kill count, resulting in someone making one too many whoopsies in a round. Then they are permanently banned. It is much more difficult to accidentally RDM three people in a 5-8 minute round than a 15 minute round.

6. Longer rounds can cause more irritation at specific weapons, especially the one-hit kill weapons. Many complaints are targeted at the knife, which can one-hit kill people and leave them dead within seconds of a round starting. Having to wait 15 minutes to respawn is a pretty long time and can make someone pretty bitter about the circumstances and weapon leading to their death. If they only have a shorter wait time, perhaps they'd be less upset about the weapon(s).

7. Longer rounds might actually promote targeting or amplify its effects. Someone choosing to target another player while staff are not on might find it funny to throw a box into someone and kill them, making them have to wait 15 minutes to have another chance of playing. This is a long period of time, and the other person might be limited as to what they can do while they wait. Even if the initial RDM wasn't the result of targeting, being forced to wait 15 minutes might really tick someone off. This, in turn, might cause them to target the person who accidentally RDMed there thereafter.

8. Longer rounds will result in longer time periods on specific maps. Several maps are despised by players for whatever reason. Being forced to stay on that same map for 60+ minutes will only make them more upset. With shorter rounds, will come shorter amounts of time on specific maps. This will allow us to cycle through more maps and potentially allow more enjoyable maps to be played.

A few reasons why we might want to continue to have longer rounds. I could only think of a couple of reasons as to why we might wish to have our rounds (and therefore, maps) remain longer.

1. Some players have problems with loading into the game. The length of time it takes them to load in results in them missing out on the first round. With shorter rounds, they might potentially miss out on two rounds. On the other hand, this might also be an incentive to have shorter rounds. With shorter rounds, they will spend less time waiting for either the first round or second round to finish up before they get to play. They won't need to wait 15 minutes for Round 1 to finish, which they failed to load into the game in time to play in. Instead, they might only have to wait 7 minutes for Round 1 to finish, allowing them to play in Round 2 more quickly. 

2. Longer rounds might be better for guests. I'm not so sure about this point, considering Point 4 I made in the incentives to shorten the rounds list. However, guests often take longer to complete the traitor objective. More time to do so could be beneficial to them. 

Shortening the round length is something that can be remedied fairly easily through the game settings, as I understand it. I will not make a recommendation as to just how much we shorten the rounds specifically, however, as this is something that likely would require testing and might even be its own discussion.

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - .cee - 07-26-2021

What, exactly, is your proposed ideal solution? What would you implement right now to help rounds progress and flow quicker?

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - JesseTheUndeadCowboy - 07-26-2021

1+ please for the love of all that good is make the rounds short. Back when I used to play a lot I got very bored sometimes with the long round and usually I could just go afk watch a short YouTube video. Come back and the round may still be going. The time limit should be decreased tbh.

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - Damien - 07-26-2021

Would love this feature added, rounds take so fucking long sometimes.

+1

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - Katie <3 - 07-26-2021

Nicky, you are a genius and this is a great idea that will certainly make TTT more fun and enjoyable. You keep that big brain working, you handsome man

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - Wrong - 07-26-2021

just slay for delay and it will ALL be fixed, I promise you.

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - lacer - 07-26-2021

why change settings in the gamemode just because some guest unbound his left mouse button, slay for delay

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - bunniey - 07-26-2021

1. just simply wrong, people get more mad at other people being good at the game or shoving their heads in the ceiling than they do at long rounds
2. no one cares about spam in dead chat, this has been a set precedent for a long time, it's more about slurs and allat but that happens from those few select individuals regardless of live or dead chats
3. everyone knows once the punishment is administered, leaving becaomes an unbig deal to leave, they know what they did, that ends that, usually should give staff a courtesy "gtg" thing, no big deal
4. this is not why people hate guests, but yeah this is true, but shorter rounds won't make people hate guests less
5. simply being on longer makes it more likely you'll accidentally break a rule, no one is on for a set amount of rounds, just a set amount of time
6. one hit kill weapons decrease round length because they kill people in one hit
7. you said it might promote targeting, then proceeded to tell you about how being targeted when a round is long, not actually say how it can promote targeting except for the revenge rdm thing which is pure speculation and not targeting
8. yes that is how time works, and it works like that on every map not specific maps

if people would actually get slain for delaying delaying would happen less but no one divies out slays on that properly

yes i only read the underline part of each point except one because [redacted]

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - JesseTheUndeadCowboy - 07-26-2021

(07-26-2021, 08:33 PM)NotRand Wrote: -snip
Ok so do you have a solution then that wouldnt make the rounds last long cus you and I both know they won’t slay for delay.

RE: Great Idea Monday: Shorten Round Length - lacer - 07-26-2021

[Image: DGqsFAL.png]

from the staff guidelines

enforce the rules properly or resign thanks