Dinkleberg's GMod
TTT warnings - Printable Version

+- Dinkleberg's GMod (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Community Suggestions (https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: TTT warnings (/showthread.php?tid=16335)

TTT warnings - voidzz - 05-12-2022

TTT warnings should expire after x amount of time, depending on the offense. Lets look at something like mic spam, if someone mic spammed 2 years ago and still has an awarn for it, I think it should be removed as it's not really relevant anymore. Obviously theres bigger things like ghosting as well, where that should maybe be kept, but I believe we have a lot of awarn things that could be wiped after x amount of weeks/months, and that the player should be given a fresh start under those guideline categories. The biggest thing I could see being kept is slur warnings, that's pretty understandable, unless those would expire after x amount of years.

Keep responses simple for/against removal of warnings and don't argue with each other lol

RE: TTT warnings - LemonTiara - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 09:49 AM)voidzz Wrote: TTT warnings should expire after x amount of time, depending on the offense. Lets look at something like mic spam, if someone mic spammed 2 years ago and still has an awarn for it, I think it should be removed as it's not really relevant anymore. Obviously theres bigger things like ghosting as well, where that should maybe be kept, but I believe we have a lot of awarn things that could be wiped after x amount of weeks/months, and that the player should be given a fresh start under those guideline categories. The biggest thing I could see being kept is slur warnings, that's pretty understandable, unless those would expire after x amount of years.

Keep responses simple for/against removal of warnings and don't argue with each other lol

The thing is, "old" warnings give you insight on the type of behavior of a player (or how they used to be). They might not accurately portray how the player is now, but it's still good to have them, as they do no harm.

When it comes to banning people for accumulation of warns, the ones that are taken into consideration are only the newer ones (not more than a month old) so I don't see why you'd delete them. They are a part of a players record, that's all.

RE: TTT warnings - Salty - 05-12-2022

Personally, I agree with this. My last warning I ever received was maybe in late 2020. Why should these still be on my record when I'm not causing issues anymore?

I think after you hit a 6 month period, the warnings should not be considered or even as far as deleted like you said. I want to argue the same thing for discord too, but I feel that's more relevant to that context due to the way the rules/punishment system is set up. I understand that 20 good deeds do not overshadow 1 bad deed, but if I have a warn from 2020 I shouldn't be punished as if they stack on top of each other. I'm not saying that anyone does this, I am just saying that I feel that is a stupid way to enforce anything on the TTT server.

I get Lemon's point too that it's good for bookkeeping purposes, but I can also see why this would be something that you would want to get changed. Overall I'm pretty neutral on this until people try using it to try and spin it like I am recently doing it (like what happened with my recent discord helper app.)

This just my personal input; you can disagree with me, that's totally fine.

RE: TTT warnings - dong - 05-12-2022

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I believe active warnings expire within at least one week. I can see both sides to this though. The only way you will be banned (even with expired warnings) would be if you’ve accumulated some ridiculous number anywhere from 40-80. We’ve had problems lately where people aren’t even being banned for reaching the original thresholds, so that contributed to why people get banned way later. I personally dislike awarn, but I think it is useful in the sense of keeping tabs on how people have behaved over a certain period of time. Like lemon said earlier though, very rarely do we actually punish you for things that happened a long time ago unless it is a ridiculous accumulation… and even then it should not have been allowed to reach that point. 

You do have a valid concern though, Voidz. I can also see where on the opposite side you wouldn’t want the warnings to be there anymore because they happened awhile ago. I think either way is fine though. If something were to pop up with your old warnings and you get banned (unjustly) you’re always free to make an appeal, especially with how wishy washy awarn accumulation bans have been for awhile. 

I’m on my phone, so pardon me for any errors. I’m typing this up quickly while trying to move.

RE: TTT warnings - bryanbrr - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 09:49 AM)voidzz Wrote: TTT warnings should expire after x amount of time, depending on the offense. Lets look at something like mic spam, if someone mic spammed 2 years ago and still has an awarn for it, I think it should be removed as it's not really relevant anymore. Obviously theres bigger things like ghosting as well, where that should maybe be kept, but I believe we have a lot of awarn things that could be wiped after x amount of weeks/months, and that the player should be given a fresh start under those guideline categories. The biggest thing I could see being kept is slur warnings, that's pretty understandable, unless those would expire after x amount of years.

This is already practiced. While we do not go in and manually erase warnings after a specific timeframe, our team already knows that an accumulation of particular warnings during a specific timeframe should be the only way we administer punishments for warnings. For instance, we would not consider a slur warning from January of 2022 to be an active warning. Going in to remove warnings from people's accounts is not worth the hassle and the team already knows the timeframe in which warnings should expire. The only types of warnings that dont expire are harassment, flaming, teaming, ghosting, etc.

RE: TTT warnings - voidzz - 05-12-2022

Good to know, I didn't know there was a specific timeframe that was only looked at for bans. I believe that this information (maybe it is already and im just mentally slow) should be available to players, so that they know to what extent they have to worry about their previous warns (although this can also be used in a bad manner). I don't think removing the warnings is very important especially if they are seen as expired after x amount of time anyways.
One thing I think should be changed is the use of player's warnings against them in staff applications after x amount of time, such as jammin addressed and cleared up in Salty's linked application. I feel like often, there is a lack of context behind certain warnings, and I have seen staff applications where recent warnings (some which most staff would not warn for) are brought up and there often appears to be bandwagons without necessarily knowing context. I could always be wrong.

RE: TTT warnings - Nicol Bolas - 05-12-2022

Also something to note is that in the Awarn3 system, "Active" warnings are useless. The system tracks active warnings for the automatic punishment system included. However that has been disabled for a while. Right now, the warning system is a functionally watchlist. We may switch to another system that has more of a "point"-based system. But I was having troubles with it when I tested it.

RE: TTT warnings - Jammin - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 07:04 PM)voidzz Wrote: I believe that this information (maybe it is already and im just mentally slow) should be available to players, so that they know to what extent they have to worry about their previous warns
It is, typing !warn in chat will bring up warn list

RE: TTT warnings - voidzz - 05-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 07:22 PM)Jammin Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 07:04 PM)voidzz Wrote: I believe that this information (maybe it is already and im just mentally slow) should be available to players, so that they know to what extent they have to worry about their previous warns
It is, typing !warn in chat will bring up warn list
Haha I know that, but I meant that players should know how long a warn is considered "active" for before staff will disregard it as an old one.