Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's what I'm doing (9/22/17)
Hello everyone,

I'm sure many of you have noticed an upsurge in my activity, and I'd like to share with you guys my plans for the near future.

1. First thing on my agenda is resolving the issue with TTT lagging.
Now some of the very recent lag (high ping and spikes) is happening because I recently moved the server over to a VDS (dedicated machine). To my dismay, I found out that this isn't ideal for hosting Gmod servers, and I'll be switching back to the regular hosting for the servers I moved over (ttt,darkrp) at some point today (Friday the 22).

We have concluded that the cause of the connection lag and lag at the start of rounds is both utime (little box in top right corner that shows your time) and Pointshop2 combined. I've figured out a way to fix Pointshop (I think), so after some testing that should be fixed. 

Utime might be a different story. For some reason this current version of utime causes a good bit of lag when people connect to the server. I've been trying to figure out a solution which involves us being able to keep utime, but haven't been able to figure anything out as of yet. I'm still searching for an alternative. If worst comes to worst, utime may have to be removed in order to have a lag-free server once more.

2. Vanilla TTT..... Clearly this isn't shaping up to be what I thought it would, so I'm gonna go back to my original plan B. I'd like to make the vanilla server into an exact carbon copy of the regular TTT server right now, and maybe name it something like "Dinkleberg's TTT 2" or something like that. Essentially, this server would exist for times when the main server is full, and the overflow of players trying to join could go there instead. If it ends up being empty all the time, I'll just take it down, but this seems like it could be very useful in primetime hours when we have lots of people who want to play. Everything would transition and be intertwined between the servers (including exact same pointshop on the same database), the only exception to this is the experience addon. This data is stored locally and therefore would be individual to each server, however ranks would still carry over.

3. After TTT is done, I'm gonna transition over to PropHunt and try to tidy up a couple things there. One of the main things I'll be focusing on is the chat. I'm either gonna fix the team chat issue or if I can't get that to work I'll probably end up switching back over to the *non-enhanced* version of PropHunt. 

4. I'm gonna do my best to be more active on the forums and try to disperse my time between servers as best I can.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, long live Dinkleberg's Gmod.

-Dad
(09-22-2017, 03:09 PM)Dinkleberg > Wrote: 1. First thing on my agenda is resolving the issue with TTT lagging.
Now some of the very recent lag (high ping and spikes) is happening because I recently moved the server over to a VDS (dedicated machine). To my dismay, I found out that this isn't ideal for hosting Gmod servers, and I'll be switching back to the regular hosting for the servers I moved over (ttt,darkrp) at some point today (Friday the 22).

We have concluded that the cause of the connection lag and lag at the start of rounds is both utime (little box in top right corner that shows your time) and Pointshop2 combined. I've figured out a way to fix Pointshop (I think), so after some testing that should be fixed. 

Utime might be a different story. For some reason this current version of utime causes a good bit of lag when people connect to the server. I've been trying to figure out a solution which involves us being able to keep utime, but haven't been able to figure anything out as of yet. I'm still searching for an alternative. If worst comes to worst, utime may have to be removed in order to have a lag-free server once more.

2. Vanilla TTT..... Clearly this isn't shaping up to be what I thought it would, so I'm gonna go back to my original plan B. I'd like to make the vanilla server into an exact carbon copy of the regular TTT server right now, and maybe name it something like "Dinkleberg's TTT 2" or something like that. Essentially, this server would exist for times when the main server is full, and the overflow of players trying to join could go there instead. If it ends up being empty all the time, I'll just take it down, but this seems like it could be very useful in primetime hours when we have lots of people who want to play. Everything would transition and be intertwined between the servers (including exact same pointshop on the same database), the only exception to this is the experience addon. This data is stored locally and therefore would be individual to each server, however ranks would still carry over.

Is the main problem with Vanilla just that nobody wants to play on MC maps? If that's the case, have you guys had any luck finding maps with no Source textures?

Also, I know DM was removed because people suspected it was causing lag in addition to things like being able to fuck with peace sentries/manhacks, but I think I remember at some point somebody told me it was actually Anti-crash causing lag. I've asked a few people if they noticed a difference after DM was taken out, and I cant think of anyone who has. I know I'm just some dumb casual and there's probably a lot of people who actually know how the server works better than me, but if we do see less lag if/when the server removes utime and changes host, is there any possible way DM could be added back? Seemed weird to see it in Vanilla TTT but not main.
it could be our anti cheat as well since that scans people when they join
(09-22-2017, 03:49 PM)Knower998 Wrote: Is the main problem with Vanilla just that nobody wants to play on MC maps? If that's the case, have you guys had any luck finding maps with no Source textures?

It's not hard to understand that TTT requires CS:S- even the game Garry's Mod itself requires other games. If someone is smart enough to possess money and figure out how to buy a video game, then they must be smart enough to download a whole bunch of folders and drag them into another folder. I don't want to play on the same 3 stupid maps that have texture included just because someone doesn't know how to use a computer.
Honestly I don't care whether it uses maps that need CSS, but I think we could get a good handful of at least 10 either way. I just want DM and no minecraft.

Also, I just want to point on top of that I used to have the content for CSS and HL2 downloaded until a update in Gmod broke all my gun sounds for their weapons, forcing me to actually buy them.
I thought the lag was just me. Glad to see you're fixing it. Worse comes to worst, people can always use gametracker to check their gametime. It's not perfect, but it's fairly close.
(09-22-2017, 09:37 PM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote: I thought the lag was just me. Glad to see you're fixing it. Worse comes to worst, people can always use gametracker to check their gametime. It's not perfect, but it's fairly close.

Actually, will Gametracker even work since the server is changing hosts and probably IP? Not sure how it works
I have been saying for a while now that we should of had a second TTT server for overflow. Nice to see that happening, now i might be on more often since there will be a less populated server to play one. Nice to see progress and change though. Hope we move on to weapon changes very soon.
Make sure to click that downvote button                                                                         ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^ 
(09-22-2017, 10:55 PM)Knower998 Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 09:37 PM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote: I thought the lag was just me. Glad to see you're fixing it. Worse comes to worst, people can always use gametracker to check their gametime. It's not perfect, but it's fairly close.

Actually, will Gametracker even work since the server is changing hosts and probably IP? Not sure how it works

Yes, just checked and it collected my data for today. Gametracker works really good, it's been consistently been gathering data since 2014 for the server.
(09-22-2017, 10:58 PM)~$$~ BlackCatTheGreat ♣♣ Wrote: I have been saying for a while now that we should of had a second TTT server for overflow. Nice to see that happening, now i might be on more often since there will be a less populated server to play one. Nice to see progress and change though. Hope we move on to weapon changes very soon.

That reminds me, weapon balancing on TTT is also on my agenda.