Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mic spammers
Just wondering As Donors are we allowed to Gag everyone ( !gag * ) If someone plays music in there mic while picking a map

Ive notice at the end of each map while there is no staff that a certain player waits till the end to spam there mic.....

Not saying we gagg them straight away when We pick maps. Just when spammers use it
Ingame Names 
Sharky / [Red]Sharky / Hysender / Wizard
Apple a Day keeps Mother Nuru Away 
Resigned 
Deathrun - PropHunt - Murder Staff member
It’s always nice to know who exactly is spamming. But when there’s so many people using their mic you can’t tell who is making the obnoxious noise, it shouldn’t be a problem to gag everyone since everyone will be ungagged in the next map.
[Image: Garry_s-Mod-4_27_2019-3_48_35-PM_Trim-_2_.gif]
(12-28-2018, 08:28 PM)Mr.Potato Wrote: It’s always nice to know who exactly is spamming. But when there’s so many people using their mic you can’t tell who is making the obnoxious noise, it shouldn’t be a problem to gag everyone since everyone will be ungagged in the next map.

Yeah There is always a certain group spamming the Mic and donors like us cant find out who they are...... Would like to hear from a Moderator or a staff to know how they deal with them in this situation
Ingame Names 
Resigned 
I understand your concerns, and staff have similar issues as well that can cause us to apply multiple gags at the end of a map. However, there are people out there that would purposefully buy donor to abuse such powers and some already do. Issues like this make me glad that users cannot buy tmod anymore to randomly ban people. Having donors with the powers they already have causes issues sometimes that leave other players/donors/staff in a bind. Even though your concerns are justified, the opposite effect risk is too great, I believe, to allow donors even more power then they already have. I am against this idea.
[Image: 64017c939475b62a042ca559d80eb3fc-png.jpg]

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
(12-28-2018, 08:37 PM)TheUltraFish Wrote: I understand your concerns, and staff have similar issues as well that can cause us to apply multiple gags at the end of a map. However, there are people out there that would purposefully buy donor to abuse such powers and some already do. Issues like this make me glad that users cannot buy tmod anymore to randomly ban people. Having donors with the powers they already have causes issues sometimes that leave other players/donors/staff in a bind. Even though your concerns are justified, the opposite effect risk is too great, I believe, to allow donors even more power then they already have. I am against this idea.

Thanks for taking the time to write your comment up Ultra ^_^ However Seeing that donors cant really do much on the issue, do we gag them in the  last round to prevent this from happening
Ingame Names 
Resigned 
(12-28-2018, 08:37 PM)TheUltraFish Wrote: I understand your concerns, and staff have similar issues as well that can cause us to apply multiple gags at the end of a map. However, there are people out there that would purposefully buy donor to abuse such powers and some already do. Issues like this make me glad that users cannot buy tmod anymore to randomly ban people. Having donors with the powers they already have causes issues sometimes that leave other players/donors/staff in a bind. Even though your concerns are justified, the opposite effect risk is too great, I believe, to allow donors even more power then they already have. I am against this idea.

So the server is choosing a map and a player begins to scream or play music in their microphone, you can’t tell who it is because there’s so many players talking. You’re saying if NO staff are on the server, donors can’t gag everyone at that moment to stop the spam? This is a genuine question because I’ve seen staff do this before so I assumed that’s how I should handle it too, I don’t want to make it seem like I’m abusing my donor powers on PH when I’m trying to help.

I understand the part where donors can’t do this because it’s fun, but I think there are justified situations to gag an entire server.
(12-28-2018, 09:02 PM)Sharky Wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to write your comment up Ultra ^_^ However Seeing that donors cant really do much on the issue, do we gag them in the  last round to prevent this from happening

If you know who they are, then yes, but be careful because if you go gagging the entire server, you can easily receive a stigma from other players for a donor who is just gagging people. This varies depending on the individuals that are involved or are on the server at a given time.

(12-28-2018, 09:05 PM)Mr.Potato Wrote:

So the server is choosing a map and a player begins to scream or play music in their microphone, you can’t tell who it is because there’s so many players talking. You’re saying if NO staff are on the server, donors can’t gag everyone at that moment to stop the spam? This is a genuine question because I’ve seen staff do this before so I assumed that’s how I should handle it too, I don’t want to make it seem like I’m abusing my donor powers on PH when I’m trying to help.

I understand the part where donors can’t do this because it’s fun, but I think there are justified situations to gag an entire server.

The main difference between a staff member doing this and a donor is that a staff member will be seen as moderating the server while if a donor does this it can easily be seen as donors just using powers to use them. If anytime a bunch are people are talking/yelling/singing/spamming and a donor decides to do away with it and gag everyone to just fix the result, then it can become a major issue. I am speaking from the entire map standpoint while you are speaking at the changing of maps, which I suppose is different and a common place for spammers to do their bidding.

I want you to think of the possible repercussions if you gag everyone and the individuals get even more upset next map about being gagged especially since it is generally only one or two are spamming. What happens when other donors or future donors see this gag all command and decide that whenever things get annoying that they can just gag all? Their excuse will be that they saw other donors doing it and do not see why they are getting in trouble with the issue. That is much different than a staff member doing the gag command as it would be seen as moderating the server. I guess what I am saying that if you can absolutely not bear the spam, cannot just mute your game, or find out who the spammers are, then maybe a gag all could be feasible. That should be the VERY last resort because quite a few donors/players know the commands or would think about that unless they see it constantly. I am thinking of long term consequences as issues with some donors are generally a weekly if not a daily issue/concern for staff members. We all appreciate your help and dedication to the server, that remains unquestioned, however whenever we hear of some sort of donor abuse, we get concerned. The gag command can and has been easily abused in the past, and chill, stress free, game play with ample warnings are now what we are aiming for as staff members. Having donors who take the examples of others the wrong way can cause chaos, gag sparingly and with for sure justified reasoning. 

All of this, is why I am against using the gag all command as an easy fix with donors and staff members. It can and has been taken the wrong way, so my suggestion is to not use it if you can even though you may have the power to do so. Just because you have the ability to do something does not mean that action may be the best one. Generally, you have an idea who is doing the spamming as they have been using their mic before the map changes, gagging all is a last resort and should be treated as such.

Important Memes                                                Make sure to make the day.                       
Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
@TheUltraFish so why not teach them how to use the command rather than pretending the situation isn’t happening at all? We teach staff how and when to use the commands (sort of) can’t we do the same to donors?

If your mind doesn’t change then I’ll follow what you said and don’t do it at all. I’m just trying to play devils advocate a bit.
(12-28-2018, 09:40 PM)Mr.Potato Wrote: @TheUltraFish so why not teach them how to use the command rather than pretending the situation isn’t happening at all? We teach staff how and when to use the commands (sort of) can’t we do the same to donors?

If your mind doesn’t change then I’ll follow what you said and don’t do it at all. I’m just trying to play devils advocate a bit.

I am not necessarily saying to not use the command, I am saying to use the command as a last resort of last resorts. The issue with teaching donors such commands is that a person can become a donor at any time or by the time a staff member is on the same time they are, they could already be assumed to know the basic commands like most donors and players already know since with name changes and how quickly individuals can get time on the server without being known by anyone that well. Heck, I have not played with some of the current active staff in weeks to months depending on who they are. So I know for a fact that I have not played with many of the donor for a good amount of time to know/suspect them to use powers correctly despite what I may want to think. Making a list of donors would be too long and difficult to be keep track of, not to mention ever-growing. The best way for donors to learn is by watching staff members handle situations, which does not work because as I said, any person, good or bad, can become a donor and just gag people randomly. Making the command commonplace to gag all could become of major issue. A similar issue like this came awhile ago where a respected donor asked if donors could get a temporary ban command which could be disastrous. The power is there and can be used and along with any power that exists, it can be abused. Teaching each individual donor how/when to use powers would be too big of burden, not to mention would change from person to person. Use the power ONLY if you absolutely have to, just like any other power. Don't use it if you don't have too not because it is the easiest way to handle the situation.

Matt is Matt
Monke Resign 
Staffing in 2021 
Fish Fun
Travis Army
@Mr Potato My question has already been answered @Ultra Fish Thanks and its understandable

Ive realised its the same issue with people spamming taunts as well and we cant find the person doing it......
Unless the person that taunts dies in match
Ingame Names 
Resigned